High-quality 6X9" bass drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An update

Have been tweaking levels, crossover points, etc. over the weeks.

After buying maybe a half-dozen, improving a couple with better parts, and listening to several versions of Alpine's old V12-series poweramps, I ran into an MRV-F407 on eBay and bought it for $78 delivered. It's part of the Expert series, which features adjustment pots on the top of the amp and more filters so that one can configure bandpass filters with each pair of channels. This one also features MOSFET output transistors and a continuous-power rating of 60WPC into 4, broadband, driven with 14.4VDC (instead of the usual 50WPC). This output stage also is driven with a separate, regulated stage of powersupply. My particular amp's pair of output-filtering caps were 470/35Vs and their tops were a bit domed, so they started out suspect...for good reason. My goodbuddytech installed it in his car's 'testbed' and reported that it sounded TERRIBLE. I bought 2 pairs of BlackGate 470/50s from Sonic Craft, along with a couple little Reliable RTs to replace the cheap film noise-filter caps, and replaced both the MOSFET-stage and the driver-stage PS-output caps. Here are the 3 pairs.

My system now sounds better than ever. This amp added a degree of transparency, smoothness, detail, and musicality that I've never heard in a car-audio system.

I still have 5 pairs of low-value film and BlackGate caps to replace the 5 pairs of signal-coupling caps in channels 1 and 2, but I may not do that. Next will be replacing the 4 pairs (in 4 channels) of PS-rail bypass caps*, cheap 'lytics, on those final-PS rails with 47/50V. BlackGates I have.

* I'd call them decouplers, but there's no dripping resistors in the DC rails. Electronics experts--are they still properly called 'decouplers'?

I think for that kind of money you might be better off with a good quality 6X9 from someone like JBL or something.

And then get a couple of 8's or 10's and build them into a sealed box of about 1cuft. each as that is typically all that is needed for subs.

I had two pair's of JBL's (4X6 dash and 6X9 Sail panels) in my 84 Camaro and the were phenomenal !!!
I used two Radio Shack Optimus CSW-PRO800's to back them up with and it was more than enough for some nice rockin sounds at about 110db as measured with a SPL meter and would hit 120DB on the peaks Cleanly with no distortion.

Only the subs were on their own 80watt Sony explode amp, Although it would have been better if I had a separate amps for the JBL's too.

But I never got that far before I wrecked it !!! :(

After that I put the just JBL 6X9's in a 91 Buick LaSabre and they still had plenty of bass for even on the stock radio!!

They were 3-way's of the GTO series but I forget the number (963's or 938's or something) as it was 10years ago when I First got them.

Car Speakers | JBL

FWIW

jer :)

P.S For Reference the 6X9's were GTO935's.
And the 4X6's are GTO6425's as I still have those. :)

The 5 Best Speakers for Car of 2018 (Updated)

Thanks for the suggestion and information. But i am looking something at a cheap price. Would you please suggest me a best one under $100.

I also had some 6x9 gto range 3way jbl's around 10 years ago. Silver cones and perhaps offboard crossovers, though I can't picture those. Very good bass. They even made some sat on the table. I turned the shelf into a box, and at times would remove my 10s from the boot (for luggage) and wonder if I really needed them.

I'm sure I paid about £100 on offer, and by now they're about worthless as used goods. Certainly not 100 of most peoples dollars

I have also tried and heard a number of cheaper 6x9s and simply wouldn't bother. Most are designed for 'rear fill' where you have a sub and nice front components. So they can sell you any rubbish for the back.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.