High prices at Diybuildergroup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have nothing against DiyBuilderGroup, but you can find most of their parts at other places for less than half the price that they sell them at. Some of the price differences are more than double, like the 100mm x 200mm condensor lens!

If you bought all these items at Diybuildergroup it would cost $34.99, If you used the other places it would cost $15.70 Like I said, it's nothing personal against Diybuildergroup, just passing along good deals.

2"x2" IR Filter
DBG: $5.99 http://host207.ipowerweb.com/~diybuild/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=46
Other: $2.75 http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m2110.html

DCX 100mm x 200mm Condensor Lens
DGB: $9.99 http://host207.ipowerweb.com/~diybuild/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=32
Other: $3.50 http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l2006d.html

7" x 6" F.S. Mirror
DGB: $6.99 http://host207.ipowerweb.com/~diybuild/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=47
Other: $3.50 http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=8163

Squirrel Cage Blower
DGB: $11.99 http://host207.ipowerweb.com/~diybuild/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=42
Other: $5.95 http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=9944

Price comparisons are meaningless unless the comparison is against the exact same thing. There is the issue of quality when comparing 2 different items. It is understandable that some people want to spend as least as possible due to budget restraints. I personally am not going to build a projector with parts that are " In Like New Condition "

Mikey p said:
Price comparisons are meaningless unless the comparison is against the exact same thing. There is the issue of quality when comparing 2 different items. It is understandable that some people want to spend as least as possible due to budget restraints. I personally am not going to build a projector with parts that are " In Like New Condition "

They are the same things, but who cares everybody in business is in business to make money. Theres nothing wrong with providing convenience just like convenience stores provide life's little necessities near by.

I agree that 50% less sounds better but you also need to factor in Shipping and Handling. If you buy two items from two different places, hypothedically (sp?), you just doubled your s & h costs which "might" negate the saving of the price of the item. Base your purchase on the total cost, not the cost of the product by it's self. Thanks very much for the comparisons. I found it very helpful.

Zaner21

Yeah, I thought about the shipping aspect also, but I still think it would be cheaper from the alternative sources. And those are the exact same items. And if most people are like myself I don't need everyone of those items, only a couple. If all I need is a condensor, I'm going to buy the cheaper one, and I can guarantee it'll be cheaper with shipping.

And like I said, I have no problem with DiyBuilderGroup and I have no problem with them making a profit, I'm just showing different places with better deals. In fact, I'll be one of the first people to order the DIYBuilderGroup projector plans when they come out , so I hope they don't take my product comaprison personal. But if I find a better price for anybody's items, I'll post it so everyone else can take advantage of it.

willie said:
Yeah, I thought about the shipping aspect also, but I still think it would be cheaper from the alternative sources. And those are the exact same items. And if most people are like myself I don't need everyone of those items, only a couple. If all I need is a condensor, I'm going to buy the cheaper one, and I can guarantee it'll be cheaper with shipping.

And like I said, I have no problem with DiyBuilderGroup and I have no problem with them making a profit, I'm just showing different places with better deals. In fact, I'll be one of the first people to order the DIYBuilderGroup projector plans when they come out , so I hope they don't take my product comaprison personal. But if I find a better price for anybody's items, I'll post it so everyone else can take advantage of it.

Exact same? First item is 2" by 2" with 6 mm thickness and the second is 2.2" by 2" with 4 mm thickness and in "Like new condition" i.e. second-hand. Not really comparable...

I'm with Mikey here. Compare prices like this on identical items.

hi willie, good post on cheaper bargins. i think you missed one

325mm copy lens
http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3222.html

looks like the one diybuilders are selling for twice the price. could be
wrong. if your right about diybuilders selling the same thing for twice the price of another retailer? why don't they just post a link to that retailer instead. or it might be nice if they could buy wholesale and sell it for near the same price or less.

Well in my stinginess - I've spent the past year or so accumulating optics and stuff through group buys and deals at the shed etc. And my wallet certainly feels heavier because I keep my eyes open forgroups buys, deals, used stuff and surplus goods. I've waited a few weeks on some group buys and all that, and I think it was worth it - but in the long run if you need your stuff now, and you don't want a few boxfuls of optics around, it might be quicker and easier to just hit up diylabs, diybg or lumen - or whoever else.

This kinda digs at the esscence of DIY - buy a kit and assemble at home? Some may think shopping at IKEA is like DIY furniture. On the other hand who wants to wait around for months and months when the price of projectors continues to decline.

It might not take you months and months to get all your stuff - but groups buys always seem to go a little longer than initially anticipated, and I'm a lazy builder so a little here and there is fine for me :p

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Reply- Has anyone contacted them and tried to buy one of these lenses? I bought them out as soon as I saw the lens. So I did buy these from Surplus Shed, but I bought their stock out and you can't get them anymore. If Ace or Tony or even Brain had the chance, they would have done the same had they known that the lens would work with up to a 15" panel. Crazed Climber bought one for a 10" panel and loves it.

LOL i find this amusing taken this archive from the diybuilder group site, i mean realy, if he buys all of the stock from surpluss shed, how in the hell has anyone else got the chance to buy them cheaper from surpluss shed direct? money making. Just for the record, who in the hell wants a projection lens with an iris in it? thats clearly why i didnt buy one.

If i advertise in here please point this out guys cos from my understanding i dont. About what parts i sell and where they come from, ive had parts from surpluss shed before and they wer sold surpluss, meaning they wer my surpluss extras not stock, ( its typical of me to buy 2 lenses of each type in just incase one gets dropped, or damaged from the light), buyers wer also notified where they came from. My parts now come from china ( various places), awi industries, edmund optics, osram, melles griot and ntk. All are also new as second hand optics create more problems than what their worth as coatings degrade from even oxygen, (as some people have experienced with copy lenses). The majorty of the gear i carry people cant buy without a licence, or even get a sample, and in most cases the retail price for the items i sell are 3x the price of what i sell and get them for. In my prices i charge import duties, shipping and the split cost of the item, i also hold a current bussiness licence which permits me to sell and export/import items into this country and abroud. Now even with all of this i dont have a web site, i dont advertise anywhere, i dont make a profit ( $1 off of each sale is what i get, thats about all anyone can get with new gear if you want to HELP people), its all by a word a mouth, everything is tested in a design that garentees it to work, ive spent $2k in R&D, $800 on a bussiness licence just to get the decent parts for you guys that i dont get my money back on! and thats it, im not out for the money either jcb, im just out to help.

JCB was sin binned from this site for a period of 2 weeks for failing to comply with modderators directives over a period of time despite warnings. This was a group decision by all modderators.

Trev:)

LOL! This is getting good! I'm getting personal attacks on DiyBuilderGroup! Here some advice to all you sellers: If you don't like it when someone posts prices better than yours, then stop selling! Obviously you don't have what it takes to run a business. If you want to make money, go right ahead. But if you're trying to screw people over, it's going to come out sooner or later.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
If you don't like it when someone posts prices better than yours, then stop selling! Obviously you don't have what it takes to run a business.

Why? its called competition, all of the gear i see for sale from diy sites isnt the same gear anyway so realy there is no competition, the competion i see between diy sites is advertising trying to get the buyers in. People who are ripping people off may have what it takes to run a bussiness, but they dont deserve to run a bussiness.

If you want to make money, go right ahead. But if you're trying to screw people over, it's going to come out sooner or later.

Thats right, open honesty is the key, "what goes around, come's around". That prety much goes for anything.

Trev:)

LOL. well my post about the 325mm copy lens may be old news, but at the time they were available and i could have purchased them. i read jcb's post on diybuilders site. since he mentioned me by name and i think his ban will be up in two weeks, i will post my comments to them here.

"as anyone contacted them and tried to buy one of these lenses? I bought them out as soon as I saw the lens. So I did buy these from Surplus Shed, but I bought their stock out and you can't get them anymore. If Ace or Tony or even Brain had the chance, they would have done the same had they known that the lens would work with up to a 15" panel. Crazed Climber bought one for a 10" panel and loves it."

interesting response, so you bought them out " and you can't get them anymore". well i'm not in the business of trying to sell new projector stuff. i have no desire to buy and resell those lenses. where you come up with this stuff, i will never know. i'm not in a competition with you. even if i was, whats the point of that statement? also, i just don't need any 325mm 1:1 f6.5 copy lenses with iris for my own projectors.

anyhow, was not trying to bash diybuilders. i was just pointing out another item along with willies that can be purchased elswhere for half the cost. for some folks, price does matter and they appreciate others telling them where good deals are.

since you are a business i do expect and appreciate that you need to mark these items up a substantial amount for your trouble. if you want to buy this stuff retail for $15 and sell it for $30 that sounds just fine by me. i'm sure folks appreciate having all the parts in one location, and that they have been tested to work, and your advice, etc. that being said, it may also be helpful to purchase items wholesale that are unique and hard to aquire for the diy community. also, since dbg is the only projector parts retailer (only three to speak of) selling surplus parts listed elswhere, it is kind of expected that some folks will comparison shop with the only game in town for this stuff.

geez... i think :) the original intent of the thread was to point out the best prices for some of the items. i'm sure willie and others would do the same for any retailer and was not going after diybuilders on purpose. if lumenlab was selling surplusshed items with high markup, i'm sure someone would point it out also. at least thats how it looked to me. all the best, tony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.