HIGH Power Sub amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know alot of people have been asking about Sub Amplifiers but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm planning on using a PPI Pro Flat piston 10 for my HT and music listening.

The sub is rated at 300 RMS and it's a single 4ohm voicecoil. Anyone know of a 300-400 watt Sub amp that can run continuously into a 4ohm load. I have looked at the 300w Subwoofer amplifier on ESP and was trying to find a few more alternatives.

http://sound.westhost.com/project68.htm

I also have looked into the Leach amps but have been unable to find a version that will output 300-400w RMS into 4ohms.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/

Thanks

Attachments

• ppi.jpg
    ppi.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,702
CLASS_D OR CLASS_AB AMP PLEASE CONFIRM???

I do not have much experience with Class D DIY amps. I would assume a Class AB would be more fitting for this application. I am really just trying to find some other possiblilities, so really any projects complete with PCB layouts, component lists and a schematics would help. I would be interested in reading up on Class D construction if you have any information on some possible amps. Thanks

Looking at the Leach amp

Thanks for the help everyone. I am trying to contact Professor Leach, regarding the stability of both his Leach amp and SuperLeach amp designs. In the mean time I'm going to double the Output Devices of the Leach Amp as Mr. Pass suggested and see how that comes out.

It's gonna be fun...lol

Symmetrical amplifier

Anthony,
For a few months now I have been looking at your amps on your site. I was going to build your N-channel amplifier but a few days before the parts were going to be purchased you took the construction information off your site. I would be very appreciative if you could send me the construction manual, parts list, etc, for your Symmetrical Amplifier. I have heard very good things about your designs.

No Worries
I will send it to you, I am doing some updates to the manuals.
and correcting any errors.

Which is why I have removed them for now until I get restocked with new PCBs. Which I am happy to report will be back in stock very soon. Also I will have a revamped N-channel PCB with quite a few additions to the design, which will of cause include the modifications mentioned in the last manual.

Anyway I will contact you via email with the sym amp manual.

Cheers

Anthony Holton

An easy-to-build amp for this purpose is a brigded-parallel design using chipamps like the National LM3886. See National's application note AN1192. The bridged-parallel topology is basically a bridged amp, where each of the two amps is actually a parallel combination of two amps. The effective load impedance 'seen' by each amp is equal to the impedance of the speaker, and the power output is about 4 times that of a single amp chip. With the right power supply and heatsinks, it will crank out over 300 W into 4 ohms, with distortion figures of below 0.01%.

I built Anthony's symmetrical amplifiers, they're really good sounding and work great if you build them correctly. (Oy, be careful with these things.) Feel free to send me an e-mail as well, if you have any questions about it.

Of course Anthony has not mentioned he has a couple designs capable of far more power than that. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.