High performance measuring software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had Laud before Praxis, but maybe that doesn't count because it's the same company. At work we had MLSSA, but that was years ago. I couldn't justify spending so much on MLSSA for a hobby, but it is the industry standard afaik. Liberty's products were cheapr than Clio. I wanted to measure the distortion of amplifiers, so that eliminated some choices. I suppose it depends on your requirements, to get something with the features you need, at a price you can afford. I'm happy with my choice; it does everything I need, and more besides. Just thought I'd let you know.:)

For what it's worth, I owned and used cliowin first, then switched to praxis. Cliowin was remarkablely slick and easy to use, but was limited in its measurement capability compared with praxis.

I found your comments about support odd. Bill Walso, the guy behind praxis, has always been extraordinarily helpful. Which is more than can be said about the tech support at Audiomatica, the makers of cliowin.

I would tend to agree with John K and others who suggested you're doing something wrong though.

If you want a better measurement system, that's ok. It won't help your error in justMLS.

Mark K's Speaker pages

I would think twice about MLSSA. While it has been one of the premier systems, it's in grave danger of being left behind. The current version is ISA based and has to run on a Win98SE or earlier machine. Explicitly, no xp or 2k.

If they come out with an updated version, it might be worth looking at. But, as it stands, it's on an obsolete platform.

If you really want some input, do a search for Monte Kay and speakers. When you find his site you'll see he was using MLSSA but recently has acquired praxis and if you email him, well, he can give you his 2 cents.

I wasn't sure if MLSSA had updated their system; apparently not. I had problems with the computer that had Laud on it, this used an ISA soundcard with on board DSP. I couldnt get a replacement computer to work with it, I/O space issues. I expect MLSSA to have similar problems, MLSSA uses their own DSP (contributing to the high price), and if it isn't plug and play compatible there could be clashes with on board sound and graphics. These issues prevented Laud working on an alternative computer.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.