High pass filter for line level info needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Total newbie here, so bear with me.

I need to reduce the bass on the output of my wireless mic, as it goes into a channel on a PA mixer that doesn't have a tone control (the 4 channels with tone control are all in use). The output of the wireless receiver is 600 ohms. The sound quality on this mic isn't critical, as it's only used for speaking, and only gets occasional use on at my live performances. What would be a few capacitor values I could try? Also, what type caps are used here? I've used NP caps for the speaker side many times, but never tried it on the line level side. Thanks for any suggestions, and remember I'm a total newbie here!

I believe a "lip mic" has a lot of bass cut slope.
I don't know what slope they use. Is it -6dB/oct, or something less?
As the mic moves away from the mouth, the need for the bass cut is progressively reduced.

It seems like this is what you need to research.

To determine the capacitor value you first need to find out what the input resistance of the amp is. The cap plus the input resistance will form a first order high pass filter.

As AndrewT says, the best way to cut bass is to move further away from the mike. Some mikes have a bass cut switch, to cope when close speaking is necessary (or insisted on, which is not always the same thing).

Here's a link to the specs: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...E2t7YBWe9X5TnWuyg&sig2=916-JB2Q8T3Qs_R5KNx1Fg

I'm using the stereo input for this mic, so it shows the Impedance for this input as: approx. 20k-ohm bal./10k-ohm unbal (+4dBu operating level) & approx. 20k-ohm bal./5 k-ohm unbal (-10dBu)

Yes, I understand the mic has good bass roll-off as you move it further away, but this is a mic I hand to people to make announcements at live performances. Some hold it close, and others further away. It's a cheap wireless, so no adjustments to tone built into the system. I also use the "contour switch" activated on my powered speakers, so that increases the bass response even more.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Adding a cap and a resistor to the output of the wireless receiver should work. Trial and error to get the effect you need though.

The cap would be in series with the line level feed, the resistor would go from the output side of the cap to ground.

Try something like a 22nf (0.022uf) and a 22k for starters. That would start to roll off from 1khz and be 10db down at around 100Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.