• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-End Tube preamp with ECC88

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In other words the amplifier appears can be set at two points of having no corrective feedback and therefore two states exist without any negative feedback. This then leads to the conclusion that using feedback gains between the two end points are both increasing of negative feedback as perhaps leading to undesirable results.

Maybe this'll clear it up: Nyquist Stability Criterion. The math gets a little deep, but that's because you can't assume resistance only. (Be great if you could because there'd be no possible instability from DC to daylight.)

It's not a case of two end points with no feedback. It's a function of phase shifts at extremes of frequency where the open loop phase shift approaches 180 deg thereby turning negative feedback into positive feedback. The usual suspects are coupling/decoupling capacitors, and OPTs and ISTs that introduce phase shifts as they lose inductive reactance at the low end. At the high end: device internal and stray capacitance, and leakage inductance and stray capacitance in OPTs and ISTs.

If that happens, and there is enough open loop gain remaining, then you get a number of nasty side effects: a rising amplitude with frequency response that can excessively emphasize bass or treble response. If sufficient gain remains: out right oscillation. At the low end, that can mean "motorboating" or "breathing speakers". At the high end, RF interference, an amp that seems to go into overdrive at unusually low volumes, excessively hot finals, or in the case of SS amps, poofed finals.

The usual "fixes" are phase compensation capacitors across the feedback resistor and/or Zobel networks at the output of the pre that also contains the NFB summing node. These help by increasing the phase margin.

The "no feedback" condition occurs during a hard clip. The correction signal disappears, gain increases, deepening the clip.

No, I still can't grasp what you are saying. Feedback has an amplitude and phase. Whether it can be regarded as positive or negative depends on the sign of the in-phase component. You can always assign a polarity except for the situation where the feedback is exactly in quadrature, which is usually only at a few specific frequencies.

@DF96 - you have the patience of a saint!

That's a conversation I'd love to hear- got a link?

Wish I did, but that was back in Ought Five or Six, and it definitely didn't occur here. I do recall coming to Lynn Olson's defense regarding a topology called "quasi-complimentary" that allows the use of the same finals for both phases, as opposed to fully complimentary pairs.

It's one of those cases that are extremely difficult to argue. Yes, Doug Self was 110% correct: full complimentary emitter follower drivers and fully complimentary emitter follower finals do measure better. It is a more convenient topology that I have used when designing long and short wave QRP rigs. However, they don't sound as good: upon that, Olson and I agreed. I've tried it both ways, and Q-Comp just sounds better, as do Sziklai pairs, and I just don't like the sound of fully complimentary finals. Those designs sound "off", and I suppose a lot would agree: I haven't seen anyone praising Self's "Blameless" design as being particularly desirable to listen to.

Subjects like these go without a mention in EE school. Is it any wonder why so much of production SS designs sound mediocre at best? They were designed by folks who literally don't know what they're doing.

Is that a personal preference? You bet it is! That's one thing Self tends to forget: the amp is just one subsystem of a complete audio system. You can account for a lot of variables, measure and characterize a lot of it from studio mic to loudspeaker. However, there remains that most variable of variables, that you simply can't measure reliably: the end user. If it were that easy, the whole matter could be settled once and for all: no more arguing over solid state v. hollow state, SE v. PP, pents v. triodes, etc, and ad infinitum. We could come up with that perfect amp everyone likes regardless of preferences in music and shut down these forums forever.

It ain't gonna happen. Self can sneer all he likes at "Subjectivists", but that will never change the fact that listening is Subjective.

Subjects like these go without a mention in EE school. Is it any wonder why so much of production SS designs sound mediocre at best? They were designed by folks who literally don't know what they're doing.
-----------------------------------------
Is that a personal preference? You bet it is!

Miles - not to repeat old hat (or perhaps yes, but not in a disparaging tone then)!

Your first statement: It sounds like a somewhat thick generalisation ... but you would probably desire me to read carefully, and I must then agree - although it does give the impression that most of us FC'ers don't know what we are doing! Still, let my defence be less of an impression only.

By the very recognition of subjectivity, does one not then argue for the fact that judgment of what is inherently good/poor by hearing, is questionable regarding definition of quality? Perhaps to clarify my meaning: If one shops for the equipment of one's choice, then by all means listen! It would in fact be dishonest to choose otherwise. But as soon as subjectivity/taste/whatyoucallit is recognised, I as a designer have a difficulty: For whose taste must I design? And this is going to be repetition so I will try not to bore: How do we define 'high-fidelity' if not 'truth to the original'? If subjectivity/taste is recognised, it follows that whatever a designer does, there will be folks out there liking his design and others disliking it. The amplifier then becomes a musical instrument in however small degree.

We know that QC started because of absence in early days of suitable complementary pairs. And similarly (and sadly :sad:) even nowadays, FC pairs are not ideally matched (though I understand specials come close). Again analyses (measurements, Spice-wise ...) show that FC simply yields better linearity. After that .... what does scientific integrity require me to do? Back to hearing results, ad infinitum?

Hopefully you will at least understand my predicament even if you do not agree with me. How do I sort out whose hearing is more justified than others - and even if that was possible, can I then blame 'mediocre' sounding equipment on the output topology only?

As promised, not to belabour. But I do have a difficulty with using taste as the main yardstick of judgment of the quality per se of my amplifier. That also so often followed by the "there are audible things that science cannot yet measure" routine. Sorry, not enough for me! The worthy John Curl once had as slogan; "Condemnation without examination is prejudice". And recently I noticed another pronouncement: "An argument without justification can be dismissed without justification" (exact words may be different - Christopher Hitchins I think.)

The problem with "truth to original" is, different symptoms of "false to original" are perceived differently.

Even the same person at different times, or listening to different records, pays more attention on different kinds of distortions. That's why we still have so many solutions, and no one can satisfy everybody. I myself have many designs. All of them are nice, but I can't name the one that is the best.

May be Tower design sounds the closest to the reality, but consumes enormous power and generates lots of heat. And it is heavy. Pyramid is powerful, generates less heat, but I would still prefer Tower for home music listening when possible. May be it is subjective because I believe that "no compromise" class A that uses active components in as linear as possibly regimes must sound better, I don't know.

My Gubernator sounds very real, however it can't drive such speakers like Pyramid and Tower can do, due to more limited output power. How to compare different amps that drive different speakers and tell which amp is better?

What would you prefer, more flat frequency response, or less of dynamic distortions? It is hard to tell. Some speakers have flatter response, but require higher power. If to equalize them in the amplification chain, before power amplifiers, they are used more effectively, but the equalizer adds own distortions.

Which evil is less evil?
It's still all about equilibrium, according to personal tastes.

No, I still can't grasp what you are saying. Feedback has an amplitude and phase. Whether it can be regarded as positive or negative depends on the sign of the in-phase component. You can always assign a polarity except for the situation where the feedback is exactly in quadrature, which is usually only at a few specific frequencies.
Thanks DF96
My state of mind is normally confused; perhaps well into the state of delusional and with a strong lack of sense to know what direction to blow at the wind. My object herein is to bring into as stark a light as possible the questions I have as particularly related to the significance of near resonant systems and why such systems by their nature could present sonic improvements by my experiences.

In consideration of your presentation let’s consider a more extreme theoretical case. In this case consider that the network is sitting on the threshold of a loop oscillation, this time of infinite frequency. This creates a theoretical situation that the AC audio input signals are of such low frequency in relation to the infinite frequency that the changes can be considered as all DC (infinitely low AC) and that the amplitude changes in the DC are of miniscule amount before being corrected in the infinite high frequency near oscillation loop. This can be compared to an identical circuit having no tendency toward loop oscillation. Under such conditions it is thought that both circuits would appear behaving identically and in accordance to any phase, frequencies, etc., as you suggest. My question is specific to how and why they should and if any significance exists in the variances.

Intuitively there seems must exist two independent mechanisms to cause the same result. One is the normal condition of feedback and the other seems can only be a function of the creation and theoretical shift from the quadrature of the near resonant infinite frequency pole. Certainly it seems an exceptional spectrum analyzer would peak at the infinite frequency. This is to suggest that the gain is dominant at the quadrature of the infinite frequency and that disturbances only result in the creation of that frequency with a phase shift from the quadrature.

In normal systems wherein the differential gain between open loop and closed loop is increased the difference between the input and feedback signal diminishes and moves into the noise floor of the system. This leads to a condition that increasing open to closed loop gain can result in degradation as a function of dealing with more noise. This is not to suggest that the noise floor increases rather that the difference signals are decreasing. In the theoretical system having a near resonant pole the loop corrective mechanism seems would be dominated by the generation of a signal being off the quadrature.

This leads to me wondering if the mechanism under such a theoretical condition can be considered as being caused by disturbances to the equal of a carrier that indirectly causes the variances in the signal. In other words the normal random noise, gain, phase etc., as normal responsible for changes is overpowered and replaced by the dominant singularity of variations to a carrier. From here the thought moves to theoretically shifting this carrier toward the top of the audio band whereupon it may be that the more critical noise is being filtered out or blocked above the pole frequency.

Wish I did, but that was back in Ought Five or Six, and it definitely didn't occur here. I do recall coming to Lynn Olson's defense regarding a topology called "quasi-complimentary" that allows the use of the same finals for both phases, as opposed to fully complimentary pairs.

It's one of those cases that are extremely difficult to argue. Yes, Doug Self was 110% correct: full complimentary emitter follower drivers and fully complimentary emitter follower finals do measure better. It is a more convenient topology that I have used when designing long and short wave QRP rigs. However, they don't sound as good: upon that, Olson and I agreed. I've tried it both ways, and Q-Comp just sounds better, as do Sziklai pairs, and I just don't like the sound of fully complimentary finals. Those designs sound "off", and I suppose a lot would agree: I haven't seen anyone praising Self's "Blameless" design as being particularly desirable to listen to.

Is that a personal preference? You bet it is! That's one thing Self tends to forget: the amp is just one subsystem of a complete audio system. You can account for a lot of variables, measure and characterize a lot of it from studio mic to loudspeaker. However, there remains that most variable of variables, that you simply can't measure reliably: the end user. If it were that easy, the whole matter could be settled once and for all: no more arguing over solid state v. hollow state, SE v. PP, pents v. triodes, etc, and ad infinitum. We could come up with that perfect amp everyone likes regardless of preferences in music and shut down these forums forever.

It ain't gonna happen. Self can sneer all he likes at "Subjectivists", but that will never change the fact that listening is Subjective.
I agree with you about Self and his sneering at "subjectivists" by doing so he ignore the basic question What is the purpose of the "Hi-Fi" system . To my mind it is the enjoyment of the end user ! Take for example watches some costing 10s of thousands of dollars that when tuned up are almost as good a 15 dollar digital watch. Keeping time is not the only thing . Thus as wavebourn said many solutions for many end users.

I agree with you about Self and his sneering at "subjectivists" by doing so he ignore the basic question What is the purpose of the "Hi-Fi" system . To my mind it is the enjoyment of the end user ! Take for example watches some costing 10s of thousands of dollars that when tuned up are almost as good a 15 dollar digital watch. Keeping time is not the only thing . Thus as wavebourn said many solutions for many end users.

i agree that when it comes to listening to music we are all subjectivists, but when discussing technical matters like circuits, we can not just say that global negative feedback ruins the sound or that sand in tube circuits ruin the sound unless the poster clearly states that such was his opinion......:D

Thanks DF96
My state of mind is normally confused;

Well, Sir, you could bluff me!

In normal systems wherein the differential gain between open loop and closed loop is increased the difference between the input and feedback signal diminishes and moves into the noise floor of the system. This leads to a condition that increasing open to closed loop gain can result in degradation as a function of dealing with more noise.

Yes, this is true. That is why one cannot view this outside of the practical optimal case, i.e. in regions into which nfb should not progress.

I think one should keep these 'limitations' in mind. In practice one has a lower and upper limit of operation; let's use the ubiquitous 20Hz and 20kHz. To the degree that the open-loop design within these limits is kosher, i.e. constant gain and very little if any phase shift, the end result will not venture into the regions discussed above.

It is possible with both tube and semiconductor design to keep open-loop gain within 1 dB and phase shift within some <5 deg. of 180. One then has the condition where more than enough nfb to reduce all distortion products to well below audibility without danger of instability, can be applied and no more. I.e., the circuit should be capable of rolling off outside these limits, within the requirements for stability of the phase-amplitude relationship. There should be no need for considering what might happen under the previous post's conditions; those should not be allowed to exist in the first place. This is also basic for attaining equal reduction of all harmonic orders as mentioned before. It is when going outside these conditions that harmonic multiplication and other nasties start rearing their heads, as described previously.

[And sadly in practice they do (Miles mentioned existence of mediocre designs) .... one reason that I am unfond of the internally compensated op-amps with their 90 degree phase shift over most of the audio range in order to guarantee stability under all conditions, including other topologies with similar tendencies. It is possible to keep C.dom or its equivalent from beginning to act until above 20kHz - but that is a another story.]

P.S: New posts appeared while I was typing. By the "above post" I was referring to Hierfi's previous post. #170

Last edited:
i agree that when it comes to listening to music we are all subjectivists, but when discussing technical matters like circuits, we can not just say that global negative feedback ruins the sound or that sand in tube circuits ruin the sound unless the poster clearly states that such was his opinion......:D
True here we are dealing with two different thing 1. Purpose of the system and 2. How we build the system . So is it God or the devil that we find in the detail ? For me the use of global feedback is a big bandaid on a broken leg. `Historically it use was to stabilize amps that did not have power supplies up to the task and not enough stage isolation from each other. Given the time it came into use with what they had to work with it was a very good idea. Very bright men made it work for control that stability problem and better bandwidth . I would rather make each stage as stable as possible with isolation in power supply from each other and not use global feedback . The production of high odd order distortion if you use less say about 21db of feedback and first stage overload are some of the reason I try to stay away form global . This a field with more grey areas than just black and white .

Your first statement: It sounds like a somewhat thick generalisation ... but you would probably desire me to read carefully, and I must then agree - although it does give the impression that most of us FC'ers don't know what we are doing! Still, let my defence be less of an impression only.

I been to EE school myself, and know lots of others who have as well. I never had so much as one lecture on sonic performance, and neither did they. If I haven't, then neither have a lot of others.

But as soon as subjectivity/taste/whatyoucallit is recognised, I as a designer have a difficulty: For whose taste must I design?

I don't have that problem because I "eat my own dog food". I listen to what I design and build, and have not even had a production system since I retired the last one I had in 2005 after stripping it of anything that looked interesting. My preferences run towards Black Metal, Punk and Techno. Would I expect one who liked choral music to like Le Renard or the Vixen? Certainly not.

Then there's the question of who's listening and why. The one who slaps on a CD for background noise while he does something else is gonna be a helluvalot easier to please than one who sits and listens while doing nothing else. Design to the lowest common denominator, make it cheap, sell cheap and make up the difference on volume is a viable business strategy. It has ever been thus, and there are no shortage of hideous designs even back in the "good ol' days".

And this is going to be repetition so I will try not to bore: How do we define 'high-fidelity' if not 'truth to the original'? If subjectivity/taste is recognised, it follows that whatever a designer does, there will be folks out there liking his design and others disliking it. The amplifier then becomes a musical instrument in however small degree.

If this were not so, there would be no tone controls and graphic equalizers. The perfect lens for a telescope, microscope, ort camera has yet to be ground, and the perfect amp -- a "wire with gain" -- has never been built. I doubt that they ever will.

"Again analyses (measurements, Spice-wise ...) show that FC simply yields better linearity".

I already conceded that.

Hopefully you will at least understand my predicament even if you do not agree with me. How do I sort out whose hearing is more justified than others - and even if that was possible, can I then blame 'mediocre' sounding equipment on the output topology only?

What's your purpose? Are you designing for the masses, the vast majority of whom seldom listen? Those who just slap on a CD for background noise? Are you aiming for a more discriminating type of listener? Those who designed for car audio have different criteria than those for a home setting.

As promised, not to belabour. But I do have a difficulty with using taste as the main yardstick of judgment of the quality per se of my amplifier. That also so often followed by the "there are audible things that science cannot yet measure" routine. Sorry, not enough for me!

I have a choice: if I test listen and don't like what I'm hearing, I don't have to buy, do I?

The worthy John Curl once had as slogan; "Condemnation without examination is prejudice". And recently I noticed another pronouncement: "An argument without justification can be dismissed without justification" (exact words may be different - Christopher Hitchins I think.)

How many times do I have to say it? I've tried it both ways, everything else being equal, and I know what I prefer, and that's how I'm gonna do it. If you don't like the results I'm getting, then choose something different. There's a lot of choice floating all over these forums, and on just ESSSSSS-loads of other forums and web sites, both professional and amateur. I'm sure you can find something that suits you, even if it doesn't suit everyone else.

I been to EE school myself, and know lots of others who have as well. I never had so much as one lecture on sonic performance, and neither did they. If I haven't, then neither have a lot of others.

... and that alone or even mainly determines the success of your engineering for the rest of your life? Neither did I have a single lecture on sonic performance or even hi-fi as such! But I was taught the basics and hopefully the ability to learn, discern and gain experience! What about the wealth of research out there - in modern times made accessable by the internet? I was also taught not to re-invent the wheel - heaven help us if that is lacking from especially a professional engineer's background and he tries to cope only with what he was taught at school.

I appreciate your reply - but we are talking of two different things. I have appartently failed to make it clear that I was speaking for the manufacturer of hi-fi equipment, or for that matter any engineering activity, and not simply of DIY-ing for myself. With my own modest amplifier designs I have never used hearing tests as an ultimate tool. In fact, the first time a customer listened to some of my products was also the first time I heard it. I must be either singularly gifted or lucky because my products were never not liked by clients (and neither am I psychic to foresee what they would like). I do not thereby say such folks do not exist (we have had that stated as often as ....) or that subjectivity does not exist. I believe I did state that when you design for yourself you can add all the funnies you like - but when doing a design for clients unknown, I follow the science proved through the years.

If a better way is ever discovered I will be the first to adopt it - but I am not holding my breath after a half-century.

Lynn Olson describes some of the engineering reasons why gNFB sho0uld be avoided, the second point is interesting and none obvious;
What is the technical advantage to zero-feedback single ended designs?
by Lynn T. Olson

Several reasons, all measureable with the right equipement:

* Cleaner spectral response, due to an all-triode signal path with no loop feedback. Triodes have the cleanest spectra of any amplifying device ever made, especially if you weight the harmonics as mentioned above. Feedback multiplies low-order harmonics into smaller but more numerous quantities of high order harmonics. See articles by Norm Crowhurst in Glass Audio for the mathematical derivation of this.

* Crossmodulation. As a long-time speaker designer, I know that speaker drivers are wicked devices, cheerfully storing resonant signals for many milliseconds and then sending them right back to the amplifier. If there is zery loop feedback the trouble stops right at the plates or emitters, otherwise it goes to the input stage and cross-modulates the desired input signal. The usual engineering assumption that the feedback summing node has zero distortion is lazy thinking and is simply not true. If the summing node has zero-distortion the driver resonances will cross-modulate with the amplifier distortion. This cross-modulation is partly responsible for the notorious matching problems between amps and speakers......worse, some of the very best speakers are the most reactive loads. If you want reactive loads, check out ESL's or horns. If your amp can't handle reactance gracefully, then you are stuck with Magneplanars, which largley resistive loads.

* Greatly reduced problems with TIM/slewing distortion, which is an especially unpleasant form of signal-dependent time-dispersion. Feedback generates large error overshoots when the amp nears clipping, slewing, or class AB transitions. These overshoots can saturate low-current input stages, which then lose the ability to drive the miller capacitance of the following stage. See articles by Matti Otala and many other authors in the AES Journal on this topic.

* Feedback greatlt worsen the audibility of clipping, which is a serious problem with amps that don't have 200 to 300 watt output capability. Music typically has 10 to 20dB peak-to-average ratio, so 90dB average levels require peaks of 100-110dB. If the amp/speaker system is not capable of that, it is highly desirable that the peak is gently compressed, not hard-clipped. The worst case is a feedback amplifier with output devices that saturate or become misbiased during clipping; not only does does feedback hard-clip the amplifier, it may take a long time for the output devices to sweep out charge, cool down the silicon die, regain normal operation, and return to a low distortion regime. This stretches out clipping, and makes it extremely offensive, in the manner of a transitor radio.

Zero feedback in either local or global circuits. Some would say all triodes have large amounts of local feedback, but I would say, take a close look at the ratio of upper to lower harmonics. For the lower-order harmonics (2nd and 3rd), you'll see a reduction in direct proportion to the amount of feedback. But feedback generates harmonics of its own, in small magnitudes perhaps, but in greatly increased order. A classic article by Crowhurst mathematically demonstrates that a non-feedback amplifier with 9th-order harmonics acquires 81st-order harmonics when feedback is added. So feedback, while substantially reducing lower-order harmonics (the most sonically benign), also creates entirely new high-order harmonics (albeit at very low magnitudes).

So if the theory of triodes having large amounts of local feedback is correct, they'd have less distortion at low orders of harmonic distortion than pentodes, but more distortion at higher orders. This is exactly the opposite of what measurements disclose. Measurements going back as far Harry F. Olson (see below) show triodes not only have less distortion overall, but most significantly, have far less upper-harmonic distortion. In fact, vanishing amounts of upper-harmonic distortion is the distinctive hallmark of triodes, compared to all other amplifying devices.

The exceptional linearity of Class A triodes removes the need for feedback in the first place, sidestepping problems with phase margin and stability with complex and nonlinear loads ... which pretty much describes all loudspeakers. In particular, complex back-EMF currents from the drivers stop at the plates of the output tubes, instead of being mixed at the summing node with the incoming signal. This avoids load-dependent distortion terms being generated in the feedback circuit

With zero feedback (local or global), a Class A PP direct-heated triode amplifier has the same (or less) distortion as a Williamson-style pentode amplifier with 20dB of feedback, which is a comment on the impressive linearity of direct-heated triodes. Not only that, the distortion spectrum is much cleaner, with almost no high-order harmonic components. This is an important reason that triodes have that hard-to-describe "direct" and "fresh" sound, while other devices sound more "canned" and "electronic" in character. The ear is not fooled by feedback; what we hear are the actual characteristics of the amplifying devices themselves.

This is why I feel that linearity right at the device level is the most important quality of an amplifier; this preference comes from a background in speaker design, where driver build quality sets the upper limit on the sonic potential of the entire system. In a similar way, the amplifying elements themselves set the upper limit on the sonics of the system.

I am actually finding it quite difficult to find designers who advocate the use of gNFB. Call that fashion if you like, but then I would call that arrogance.

Shoog

Last edited:
I am actually finding it quite difficult to find designers who advocate the use of gNFB.

You need to get out more. It's 99.99% of the professional engineering community.

And stop reading marketing documents and thinking that they're technical treatises. Hint, for classification purposes: if there's no math and no experimental data, it's unsupported handwaving.

Hierfi said:
Intuitively there seems must exist two independent mechanisms to cause the same result. One is the normal condition of feedback and the other seems can only be a function of the creation and theoretical shift from the quadrature of the near resonant infinite frequency pole.
This is the sort of statement I don't understand; much of the rest of what you say is hewn from the same rock. You may be able to attach meaning to this collection of words, but my training in theoretical physics and electronic engineering is obviously inadequate for the task. I will leave it to others.

Is this a reverse Sokal hoax?

Lynn Olson describes some of the engineering reasons why gNFB sho0uld be avoided, the second point is interesting and none obvious;

Several of the 'gurus' you've mentioned are not engineers; they're overgrown hobbyists. They are very good at giving audiophile schpiel and lacing it with a few general engineering truths that make the whole thing seem convincing, but their knowledge of actual maths and electronic principles is often patchy or scant. Unfortunately this is only obvious to people who are engineers. Other hobbyists don't know any better, and will swallow it wholeheartedly.
I'm sure they don't mean to mislead -they're self-taught after all, and are acting with honest intentions- but you can't use their words as academic proof of something (blind leading the blind).

Some would say all triodes have large amounts of local feedback, but I would say, take a close look at the ratio of upper to lower harmonics...

So if the theory of triodes having large amounts of local feedback is correct, they'd have less distortion at low orders of harmonic distortion than pentodes, but more distortion at higher orders. This is exactly the opposite of what measurements disclose.

*sigh* Olsen needs to learn basic electrostatics. Inherent feedback in triodes is covered in chapter 1 of most general 1940s/50s textbooks on basic valve theory, it's not just some new-fangled 'theory'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.