• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High end transformer manufacturer in Europe/UK?

When being quoted, politeness dictates it's necessary to introduce oneself.

I am prototyping, manufacturing, auditioning and testing transformers for audio applications since 5 years. Two years for a company, then on a freelancer scale for the rest three.

My dream is to succeed into building a small business company for transformer manufacture of the highest quality of audio reproduction where its limit will only be dictated by my abilities, the later constantly expanding through RnD and experimentation

Through all these years I'm doing a personal RnD on every detail of transformer construction, where special attention is given to the audibility of materials and their combinations.

I am currently an OEM transformer designer and winder of many products for Thrax Audio, a high-end audio equipment manufacturer. Thanks to Thrax I get provided with exotic materials, such as amorphous, nanocrystalline, nickel and different grades of copper, which give me expansion of the future line of products.

At this moment I'm a tiny scale manufacturer and I'm investing my monetary gains into further RnD and equipment. I cannot afford to go too much in public due the fact I will not be able to satisfy a big amount of orders. Ale Moglia and Rob are some of my greatest customers.

When it comes to transformers, I strive for a specific unique approach towards clients, consisting into in-depth communication, studying their wishes and musical tastes.

Best regards,
Alexander.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Speaking of performance, I prefer not to give an opinion myself, but let the customers do instead. I believe some who did compare my stuff vs Monolith are participating on this forum.

When it comes to aesthetics and a feel of finished product, my products are open framed and lack enclosure, as you can see on DHT Rob and Ale Moglia's blogs. Monolith has done an excellent job containing their products within well made enclosures. Together with Thrax we are working on this part.

In the end, you can view at my products having that OEM look, where for the moment I've aimed mostly towards sound than boutique looks.

I'm attaching three datasheets, to give you some idea of my work. The first is a multitap primary 300B SE kind of OPT with nano/amorphous core with the same dimensions as Ale's. The second is a layered 1:1 interstage transformer. The third one is a power supply choke.

Best regards,
Alexander.

Attachments

• OTSE-400NX-05U.pdf
    499.2 KB · Views: 445
  • ITSE-100NX-1010.pdf
    273.4 KB · Views: 197
  • PSIC-40NX-25045.pdf
    190.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I'm not sure, that many manufacturer working with 80% nickel core in Europe.
There is a good reason and it's not the cost of the material.
Tamura used to make permalloy (i.e. 80% nickel) output transformers, the F-7000 series now discontinued. However, to me it has always looked like a statement of their capability rather than a rational choice. There are other nickel alloys more suited for this kind of transformer, IMHO. Permalloy is useful for signal level (small power) without DC current flowing and shielding. At best, for output transformer application, one can use the permalloy for parafeed. But then has to use a capacitor which looks like a cat running after his tail.....

Well if want too go exotic with C-cores, the original Hitachi FINEMET comes in C-cores too. The standard sizes should be enough for top quality 10-15W SE OPT (or 20-30W PP).

But all crystalline types seem to be quite brittle and so need a lot of care. Don't know the percentage of discarded cut cores at production level but surely those on sale from unofficial vendors did not look good.

I like the RADIOMETAL 4550 (45% nickel) despite the common shape one finds is EI core. Except for the square shape there is no other disadvantage there like for grain-oriented cores (EI cores are not 100% oriented). I do not consider the square shape a real disadvantage because the bandwidth one can achieve is 80-120 KHz without much trouble.
Practical problem for common people like me is availability in useful sizes. One has to order it normally in good quantity....

Thank you for your kind words, Peter!

But all crystalline types seem to be quite brittle and so need a lot of care. Don't know the percentage of discarded cut cores at production level but surely those on sale from unofficial vendors did not look good.

It's true, they're brittle and flaky. Chinese don't throw stuff away though, they fill chipped holes from the cutting with glue. I had one core with lacking a 2x2x4mm edge chunk filled with binding material. :D

If one needs the permeability, nanocrystalline and amorphous C cores are NOT the way to go. They get badly cut, even genuine Hitachi amorphous can bleed a lot of light through their gaps. HiB is much better in this aspect. I never worked with C-core nickel though.

If one needs to regrind the surfaces, amorphous is hard as glass (makes sense). Nanocrystalline is soft, but grinding should be really gentle or the surfaces will result in severe pitting, destroying permeability. In fact I've worked with cores from different manufacturers with quite factory pitted surfaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user