High-end preamp for my GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can I bring my Lps to the convention? It's been a long time since nobody spills bear or tequila over my vynils, and I miss it
Which beer do you drink there? I love "San Miguel", but after some cans I really don't care, is this due to the "burn in" Carlos?:clown:

Seriously, are you sure you are not experimenting the back at home symptoms?

OPA2228

Raka,

Did you finally change the op-amps on your phono preamp, or do you need help?:devily:
You hold the board still while I hit it with the hammer.:devily:
I can assure you the NE5532 will jump right away.

If you knew the sound you'll get you would have done it already.
I'm waiting for your impressions.:bawling:

No, I haven't had the time yet. I'm finishing my aleph ono and it's taking all my attention. Until now I've listened to it only for an hour, and it's great. I don't know if 2228 can surpass it, I wish
Again, thanks for your suggestion about the opa.

Ummm... you're so convinced about it, that maybe I save some siesta time today for the opamp replacement :) Paganini is in pause at home waiting for the final phono stage.

Peter, where are you? Do I need to try "Henrik Szerying" to make you jump to the stage?;)

I may have missed this, but......

..what source and speakers are you using, Carlos?

Also, do you use a silver-loaded solder or standard stuff?

I'm just wondering how you got such a good sound from your pre. :scratch:

Anyway, I'll have a think about it all for a few days while I'm away from the office!!:)

Nice work on your pre, though!

Jon

Jon,

Make a little break and take time to read this thread, because I think most of your questions will be answered.
Perhaps I didn't mention that my CD-player is a Yamaha CDX-593 with LC-Audio clock, I use it as a transport.
I use silver solder for the connections (cables and plugs).
And you may be thinking because you probably never heard an OPA627, and more specifically with BUF634.
Yes, it's veeeeery good.;)

Raka said:
Carlos,

I'm working on the layout of the preamp, where do you put the volume pot, at the very input?
Is the heatsinking for the buf634 unavoidable?

Yes, at the input.
And yes again, the BUF634 gets very hot and you need to put a heatsink.
Only that way they deliver the 250ma current.

HAVE YOU CHANGED THE OP-AMPS ON YOUR PHONO PRE?
OR DO I HAVE TO GO THERE WITH A HAMMER TO GET THOSE NEs OUT?
:D

Thanks,

I was ill last week, problems with something I ate, I think, and I couldn't do anything. But that's not the reason to check the opas... actually I made something to the tweeters and now they resonate very badly, and the sound is not good to check anything, I ordered the tweeters but they take time... that I'm using to thinking about the preamp.

Thanks, I'm fine now, it was just four bad days.
The tweeters? RIP (resonate in peace)
I was testing the ono, and I was having some problems. The woofer was having like heart attacks suddendly, and I was late discovering where the error was. Fortunately it was only the provisional wiring at the input of the pre and not the circuit. Unfortunately, the tweeters are damaged and buzz when the piano sings. Poor Jan Panenka, he was doing nice things in the 2nd Beethoven sonata with Josef Suk in my thorens merry-go-round....
BTW, I think I managed to design a compact layout for a pre like yours, maybe smaller. I have some questions: Did you bypass the supply separately for the buffer and the opamp? I have 0.1 and 220uF electros for each rail, is better to use only 100uF?. Which ps did you use, how much farads? Rating of the trafo?

Raka,

Yes, I bypassed separately the op-amps and the buffers with 100uf and 0.1uf caps.
220uf is overkill, you don't need to go that far, and they take more space.
Any transformer of around 2x18 Volts and 300~500ma will be more than enough.
The capacitance I would have to check, I'm not at home.
The total capacitance of the PSU is around 4700uf for each rail (I used several caps), bypassed with 0.1uf.
Much more than my GC.:devily:

The aleph ono, the phono stage from pass.

Yeah, I know that about the crappy speakers... I checked it at first with a sony speaker, and worked well, after that changed to my towers and ok, then I changed the wiring and...

I meant if you bypassed separately the op-amps and the buffers EACH, or if I can fit a single 220uF (+0.1uF wima) very very close to both +Vcc and -Vcc pins of both IC. I think that the purpose is to avoid oscillations if the caps are far away from the IC, right? 220uF is the value I have at home :cool: I'll search for smaller units.
I have several caps around of different values, maybe I paralell them up to 4000uF.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.