Hifonics Thor X not powering on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What problem module do you mean? The 324 or something else? I can try replacing the 324...

I confirmed Pin 11 is connected to ground. Pin 4 - little to no voltage. I'll keep picking around.

This is a Zed amp. Unfortunately I dont know how much help Zed is going to give me on this amp. See I actually just got this amp back from Steve Mantz after he quoted me almost $200 to fix it which I didnt think it was worth. He did say there was something wrong with the power supply and that all the power supply fets needed replacing... Not to say he was wrong, but I cannot find a bad fet on this board. I had him send me back the amp under my dollar under the thought I could possibly fix it myself. I feel if I ask him then I'm really just taking business away that I otherwise would have paid him to do - Thats not too professional. Likewise, in another thread about a Gen X Hifonics, I saw Steve post up that he didnt have any of the Schematics for the old Hifonics stuff. Maybe he does, maybe not. If theres no other way then I'll probably just put this amp aside for awhile. Maybe Zed will forget they had it, maybe they could be helpfull in the future.

This is a good amp, possibly better than all the others I have (Including the PPI PC2150). I'd like to try and fix it. Unfortunately I'm affraid that some of the 'Zed' branded components that look like resistor networks are not replacable except through Zed.

Last edited:
Getting back to this amp now... I'm seeing something strange on the 494.

With Bat + & - connected and rem disconnected, I get the following voltage readings across the 494:

1: .025
2: 4.7
3: 4.7
4: .2
5: 1.4
6: 3.3
7: 0
8: 12
9: 0
10: 0
11: 12
12: 12
13: 4.7
14: 4.7
15: 4.7
16: 12

Shouldnt I be seeing no voltage? Comparison with REM connected:

TL494CN

1: 0.772
2: 5.02
3: 4.73
4: 0.215
5: 1.411
6: 3.388
7: 0
8: 12.27
9: 0
10: 0
11: 12.27
12: 12.26
13: 4.97
14: 4.96
15: 4.97
16: 11.46

Pin 12 is tied to Pin 11 and Pin 8 on the bottom side of the PCB.

From the top side, you can see Pin 8, and a trace going under the coil. i believe it is attached to the coil side labeled Gold-Outside; The large pad due north in this photo with 4 Coil windings also landing on this pad.

IMG_20101105_000409.jpg

There is more from the small pad in Photo just to the right of Pin 8...

*Done editing post*

Edit: The trace os also going to Q8 and Q9 pin 2, as well as Q2 pin 1.... Also Prot 2 pin all the way on the right. Theres also another trace leading to the LED connector where the amp has illuminating incondecant bulbs but no circuits.

IMG_20101110_183820.jpg

Last edited:
I need a photo of good quality of the whole circuit board of this amp and a good close up pic of the power supply section of the board. I had the same problems with a zeus amp awhile back . I will also try to help troubleshoot this for you since mine was an open trace which i thought at first had nothing to do with the 324 .

On the solder pads for the transformer, do you have two reds on the left pad, two reds and two golds on the center pad and two golds on the right-most pad?

That is correct.

I need a photo of good quality of the whole circuit board of this amp and a good close up pic of the power supply section of the board. I had the same problems with a zeus amp awhile back . I will also try to help troubleshoot this for you since mine was an open trace which i thought at first had nothing to do with the 324 .

Hey mike, thanks for jumping in. I dont have a camera in front of me to take a new picture until I get home this evening; but I do have some pictures I'd previously taken of certain areas of the PCB. I put all the current pictures I have of the thor into this album:

Hifonics Thor X pictures by unclemeat2010 - Photobucket

The 'gold outside' would be the transformer pad with two gold wires. Pin 8 wouldn't be connected to that. It's connected to the primary center tap (2 red. 2 gold). If that's the case, the 12v on the IC (pin 8, 11 and 12) will be constant.

To see if there are any other problems, I'd suggest that you remove the TL494 and install it in a socket but leave pin 16 out. Solder a wire to pin 16 and ground it. Does that allow the amp to power up and produce rail voltage?

Sounds like a plan, but either I've gotta order a new TL494 or perhaps just clip pin #16 near the base of the PCB in a way that I can re-attach it later. I dont want to try removing TL494 by iron in one piece in fear of hurting this pcb. I'll think of something, but I presume I cannot try applying ground to pin #16 while it is in circuit with other components.

A little trick I picked up with the transistor clips. Cut the longer ones in half and it is 10x easier to install/remove multiple times:

IMG_20101111_141518.jpg

Amp is ready for power testing:
IMG_20101111_141537.jpg

Per suggestion, I was able to cleanly clip the 494's Pin 16 from the top of the PCB using an exacto blade. Using a shielded alagator clip for bridging this pin to other sources (Ground):
IMG_20101111_141711.jpg

This amp IS made by Zed. The POS card I can never figure out which way it needs to be installed. It goes in 4 different ways and is not descriptive of how it should go. Anybody?

IMG_20101111_141825.jpg

Next up... Testing WITH power

Jumping 494's Pin 16 to ground poped 2 of my 10A fuses. I put a 25A fuse inline and its holding on. I get 30vAC on the 'south' side of the large transformer coil.

Finally some progress so I kept going. the 25A fuse poped as soon as I wired up a test speaker.

Lowering the bias pots didnt help. I pulled the board and started testing the transistors a few times. So far I find them all coming up normal from what I can tell via the DVM. There are no shorts between pins, and diode checks are good. All the transistors diode check OK by the dvm. I even checked most of the little ones on the driver board and they seem OK too.

Am I doing this right? Should the large 1317 and 1975 transistors diode-beep at me in all positions?

IMG_20101111_155639.jpg

IMG_20101111_155651.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.