Hifonics Brutus BXi1100D mk2 no audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pictures of waveforms with scope on amps ground and probe on pins of HIP4080
1st picture 1V/10us pin 5
2nd picture pin 6 (dont remember settings of scope, but I think in this case they do not matter)
3rd picture pin 11
4th picture pin 20
P1290001.JPG

P1290003.JPG

P1290005.JPG

P1290006.JPG

What to make of this? I am taking scopes ground from the wrong place or what?
Square on pin 5 is generated by HIP?

I checked DZ3 out of the board, is not shorted nor open, maybe leaking, my DMM is not so good to say 100%. Read about class d from your tutorial, there are pics of waveforms on HIP4080 with defective Zener. On the pictures waveform on pin 6 is very similar to what I got on pin 6. So it is safe to say that DZ3 is defective or should I order LM833Ns and LM393Ns too just in case? Sometime I will need them anyway.

Now I got some really strange results, earlier I stated that I saw audio on 330uF capacitor. Now I am not so sure, started to check for audio, fed in 100Hz sine and got the signal (0,1V/10ms) on attached photo on both ends of 750 ohms resistor. The resistor is located right next to the cap, I'll give you the board designation later on. I grounded scope to the pin which is supposed to be screwed to heatsink. OK I looked at the signal and thought that looks a little bit like a sine, but not really. Then I realised that I had not even hit play on the head unit, I removed RCA cable, still the same waveform on resistor, then I switched off the amp and still had the same waveform.

OK, then I connected scopes ground to ground terminal of amp and made sure I had 100Hz sine on RCA input connector, but there was no audio on 750 ohms resistor and no audio on 330uF cap.

Attachments

• DSC01431.jpg
    DSC01431.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 94
OK, this amp has some intermittent problem, I was able to see audio for a while on one side of the 330uF cap, but not on the other side. There was still no audio on 750 ohms resistor only 6,30 VDC.
Voltages on 833N which I posted earlier seem OK?

Other thing I noticed was that when probing or measuring voltage on pin 4 of 494, the amp makes hissing noise, never seen/heard something like this before.

I read from your tutorial about it and looked at the photos of the caps and mine look similar to those which have caused problems frequently, but not exactly the same.

I used 100 Hz sine to look for audio, with the amp turned off I get nice thin sine on RCA connector, as soon as I turn on the amp the signal goes off from screen for a second and then returns but then the sine is a fat line. I do not have a photo of the waveform but I think that is high frequency noise on the sine. Same on every opamp in preamp section. On pins where I do not find audio there is also no clean line, also fat line which I think is noise.

Largest I had was 2200uF, it did not remove the noise when it was connected between B+ and GND terminals.

I thought that maybe it was too small. So I removed the 4 2200uF caps, I drew a red box around them on the attached photo. These are primary filter caps, yes?
I replaced them with two 2200uF caps, one for each side. No difference in noise.

Then I thought that maybe I got it wrong and you meant bigger, 2200uF/80V caps. I drew blue box around them. I have no big caps which can handle 80V or more. I did notice that when checking for continuity with DMM between their legs one set goes from - to 1 (no continuity) very fast, while the other set takes its time. I do not know if it means anything or not.

Attachments

• P12600072.jpg
    P12600072.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 77
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.