Hifimediy T4 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A torroid PSU consists only of torroid, rectifier and some caps. It is totally simple.
There is no reason for me to replace something simple against something complicated.
A SMPS should be used to go for efficiency and low consumption. It does a great job in our computers and TVs.

There is no reason to use it with the T4 except to save the $100 the torroid is more expensive.

OK, I'll bite, here's a couple of reasons to consider. Ripple is not a good thing, that is one of the reasons why we build linear power supplies with massive capacitors and overrated transformers. Now a linear supply is running at mains frequency (50 Hz here in the UK) while a good switch mode supply may be running at 150 kHz. That means that for the same capacitance you may be looking at 3000x less ripple, and that ripple is now out of the audio band as well so you don't get that 50Hz mains hum. To be fair I think the Meanwell is older technology and only runs at 25 kHz, so it would be just 500x less ripple :D

Can you folks help me identify DC + and -? I know it is terminals 1 and 3 but that is it. I am going to DC, AC is being fed now.

Thanks.

attachment.php

Thank you for your answer.

I got a second question: I found a good high end torroid with 2x40V 600VA

Highend Audio-RKT V-RKT-MS-SW vergossen - hifituning24.de

The 2x40V are load-voltage. The off-load-voltage might be higher, up to 2x45V, I guess. You mention that 2x40V is ok for the T4. Is this 2x40V what is printed on the torroid or is it real maximum voltage?

As the power consumption of the T4 is very low, the torroid will almost always run with 2x45V off-load-voltage. Are 2x45V too much for the T4?
Should I better purchase a 2x35V load-voltage torroid? This torroid would have off-load-voltage of 2x40V.

Highend Audio-RKT V-RKT-MS-SW vergossen - hifituning24.de

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Thank you.

I just studied some data sheets. A good 2x35V torroid has a no load voltage of 37,47V.
This is 7,05% more than load voltage.
The torroid is specified up to 253V input. This is 10% more than 230V.
With maximum input Voltage no load voltage is about 37,72V.
Both voltages are really near to the 38V the T4 is specified for and the T4 can stand them and there is a bit of reserve.
Using a 2x40V torroid there would be 43,03V no load voltage with a maximum of 43,34V at 253V.
This might kill the T4.
As a result this means that the diy builder if he chooses to go for a torroid should get a 2x35V type with as much power as possible and at least 450VA.

Thank you.

I just studied some data sheets. A good 2x35V torroid has a no load voltage of 37,47V.
This is 7,05% more than load voltage.
The torroid is specified up to 253V input. This is 10% more than 230V.
With maximum input Voltage no load voltage is about 37,72V.
Both voltages are really near to the 38V the T4 is specified for and the T4 can stand them and there is a bit of reserve.
Using a 2x40V torroid there would be 43,03V no load voltage with a maximum of 43,34V at 253V.
This might kill the T4.
As a result this means that the diy builder if he chooses to go for a torroid should get a 2x35V type with as much power as possible and at least 450VA.
yes, and SMPS always have no such issues.

Has anyone compared the sound using a toroidal ac supply compared to the smps supply?

Please have a look at the M2 of the very respected NAD company.
This is not an amp but a PWM-driven power-DAC.
NAD M2 Direct Digital integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com
Money does not play that big role with that amp.
Inspite of the fact that they are familiar with toroids since many years, the M2 is driven by a SMPS.

So I think that we could say as a conclusion, that sophisticated SMPS might be equal or even better than toroids.

The real problem is where to obtain a real sophisticated SMPS. Are there any? I do not believe that the unit hosted on the hifimediy page is very good. All those SMPS are not made for hifi and they are really cheap.

My question is:

What very good SMPS can be taken into account to power the T4?

The real problem is where to obtain a real sophisticated SMPS. Are there any? I do not believe that the unit hosted on the hifimediy page is very good. All those SMPS are not made for hifi and they are really cheap.

My question is:

What very good SMPS can be taken into account to power the T4?

Some people think that the Connex supplies are much better and are designed for audio. I also vaguely recall someone on the Forum (AP2?) discussing some fancy supplies that were completely designed for audio. Made in Italy?

Rod

Connex supplies
might be testworhty. But I do not like that they do not come in a case. They are just boards. Voltages are very high so I would prefer to buy a closed box which I can integrate into my amp. Just like a computer power supply which comes in a closed box, too.
The voltage should not be the problem, as the Connexelectronic comes with +-27V.
The price is almost the same to a toroid.

It might be a good idea, to look at the Channel Islands Audio D-100 monoblock power amplifier | Stereophile.com D-100 amp based on hypex-modules.
Toroid, caps and rectifier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.