Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you mean by output 2 ?

I suspect the harsh sound is due to the output caps. I was unlucky because the week after I ordered it, hifimediy ships the board with Mundorf.

Previously I have almost similar experience with hifimediy tripath amp. Either change it to better caps or wait some time until it breaks-in. I actually prefer to change it to some PIO K75 caps but I don't have any at this time.

There's a jumper on the board to disable the upsampling, but it is soldered and I don't want to make any changes before it's break-in. Let's see in about 1 week. PS: I tested it using coax input only.

You can read about BCF here : It's About Time&Ultra-Linear Line Stages
There's a link somewhere on that page about the PCB sale. The reason why I choose it because it's simple, I don't need gain and I can borrow some tubes from my friend for experiment. I'm one of those stupid people who thinks that to have a good sound we need tubes :)

Here's the photo of the stuffs (powered by 16$ r-core trafo):
2012-02-11110223.jpg

Nice case. It looks tidy and clean.:up:

Digital noise through usb connection

The dac is directly connected to a pair pf sta508 arjen helder monoblocks with a 50Kohm alps r27 volume control, but i notice a clear digital rumble through the speaker that disappears when disconnecting the usb connector. Is it normal to have that kind of noise with this board. I also have a rather loud tick when changing sample frequency. What should be checked?

The dac is directly connected to a pair pf sta508 arjen helder monoblocks with a 50Kohm alps r27 volume control, but i notice a clear digital rumble through the speaker that disappears when disconnecting the usb connector. Is it normal to have that kind of noise with this board. I also have a rather loud tick when changing sample frequency. What should be checked?

I have both coax & USB connected to PC and no audible noise at all. Connection : DAC USB onboard connector > USB cable > Neutrik USB chassis connector > another USB cable > PC.

And perhaps I'm going mad, but USB sounds better to me than coax :confused: (the USB port is shared with a wifi dongle)

Hifimediy : where do the USB port on the DAC get the power ? from PC or from DAC internal PSU ?

Hello everybody,
I'm new here. I have a newbie question:
do you think possible a direct connection of the cs4398 balanced output with the balanced input of "the wire" bal-bal version without using any caps?
Will the 4398 offsets on + and - output zeroing at headphone out?

Hi,
i do have the same probs when using the usb on my netbook. when i unplug the netbook´s powersupply the noise is gone. no chance to get rid of it by using an ic filter. any suggestions on that ? the coax is clean and very good sounding with my hiface spdif ....

i changed the copper obbligato caps to the film oil obbligatos, no bypass added - HIGHLY recommended !!!

Hi,
i do have the same probs when using the usb on my netbook. when i unplug the netbook´s powersupply the noise is gone. no chance to get rid of it by using an ic filter. any suggestions on that ? the coax is clean and very good sounding with my hiface spdif ....

i changed the copper obbligato caps to the film oil obbligatos, no bypass added - HIGHLY recommended !!!

It's strange, I don't have that problem at all. My PC uses Pico PSU module with external 60watt DC brick.

Do you use Obbligato oil cap like this : eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and it sounds better than the copper + vishay bypass ? what value do you use ?

Mine's still attached to the Epcos, still waiting for component for BCF tube buffer. It's so sibilance with lot of "ssssshhhh", perhaps just a matter of break-in as based on my past experience Epcos & Wima takes ages to properly settle.

Yes, this is the Cap that i use. 4,7 uF . It sounds different than the Copper ones. They fit my system very well, so ... I played them for one week now, they sound very well and stable, so i do think that the first " break in " period is done . Give them a try if you do not spend to much on postage for them . One thing : They are very big, theoretically not optimal in this position, but the sound is brilliant. I do not think that the sound will get " better " ( tubes are a different thing, but... ) with the BCF, but maybe you´ll do a comparison ...

Yes, this is the Cap that i use. 4,7 uF . It sounds different than the Copper ones. They fit my system very well, so ... I played them for one week now, they sound very well and stable, so i do think that the first " break in " period is done . Give them a try if you do not spend to much on postage for them . One thing : They are very big, theoretically not optimal in this position, but the sound is brilliant. I do not think that the sound will get " better " ( tubes are a different thing, but... ) with the BCF, but maybe you´ll do a comparison ...

Agreed & thanks for sharing.

I fully understand that there's always risk that tube won't sound any better than kondensatoren direct or transformer out but I use this opportunity as my learning process toward tubes world. In fact I never though that in my system this DAC sounds better via USB than via Coax, but that's what happen and the difference is significant. :eek:

So just expect the unexpected (as in your case where cheaper oil sounds better than more expensive copper).:D

BTW, I still expect that hifimediy will release other DAC chip module for this DAC. WM8741 will be very nice !!!

Hi hifimediy,

I am looking at the picture of the DAC board and I notice there is a smaller daughter board at the side on what appears to be a volume control.

Does the DAC come with an in built volume control?

I bought the 1853 DAC from you and in the process of casing it up.

Contemplating buying this one too. How would you compare the sound of this one compared to the 1853?

Thanks.

Oon

Hi hifimediy,

I am looking at the picture of the DAC board and I notice there is a smaller daughter board at the side on what appears to be a volume control.

Does the DAC come with an in built volume control?

I bought the 1853 DAC from you and in the process of casing it up.

Contemplating buying this one too. How would you compare the sound of this one compared to the 1853?

Thanks.

Oon

The smaller board is input selector switch. It doesn't have any vol control.

Hello, guys !

I'mfollowing your thread for few cause I want to upgrade my lem-dac v3.
Actually I change the aop by lme49720 but the direct output stage like me so much.

Just a question for symetric output, just put 2 caps by way (+ and-) ? that's it ?

otherwise in asymetric, the caps are on the +, and the - is useless ?

Just a very simple question.:wchair:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.