Hifimediy direct out cs4398 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Nice project for advanced diyers. I think of the people like me who use a laptop as source with no spdif output. Any chance to consider a top notch usb 96/24 input as well, based on Tenor TE7022L or similar ? this would certainly increase price quite a bit.

@scott : second the need for excellent clock.
wolfson WM8805 receiver has actually even better specs than DIR9001 :)

It's now available for order :)

Hifimediy “direct out” DAC: cs4398, w/upsampling 192/24 cs8421, TCX0 and TE7022 USB|Hifimediy

Just wondering how the TE7022 stand among the better USB interfaces. Let the reviews roll...

Just wondering how the TE7022 stand among the better USB interfaces. Let the reviews roll...
You'll find reviews on the web as the Tenor chips are more and more used in commercially available dacs ;)

I have a TE7022 usb to spdif interface on another dac. When comparing to usual pcm27xx or CM10x, I can only hear tiny difference on reglular 16/44 music, but it makes a difference when upsampling.

I like te7022 because it supports 24/96 which is good enough for me (I could never hear a difference between 96 and 192kHz sampling :D) and it is recognized by windows or linux without additional drivers.

Tenor TE8802 chip probably performs even better, but requires proprietary drivers to exploit USB2 24/192 and is significantly more expensive.
I also own Musiland Monitor USD 01. Its a 24/192 USB to spdif receiver with propriatary drivers. It performs very well but I have driver problems when sleep/awake the netbook. This is a showstopper for me.

Sure the dac chip is different etc, but many want it mainly for the Tenor usb and TCXO clock capabilities, and the wolfson is no slouch. Besides modding the Audinst to taste should be possible.

The whole point of the hifimediy dac is avoiding the need to 'modify' an existing product. No fuss, no muss. Who wants to take apart a dac, desolder this, desolder that, worry about damaging small components on the board, etc. if you don't need to?

Hi guys,

I just recieved my copy in the mail today, it's the version with all of the bells and whistles. I was surprised on how fast the shipping was to the Eastern US. The board looks to be very well made. All I need to do next is pick up two 9 vac trafos to get it working. I'll report back on how it sounds when I get it going.

PJN

Hi Guys,

I looked in my supply box and I happen to have a 10 VA torroidal tranfsormer with two 12 vac secondaries. After rectification the voltage would be ~ 16.8 vac. The caps in the power supply section of the board are rated for 16v, do you think that I could use this transformer without damaging something ?

PJN

I'm interested in this DAC but have a few questions.

1) What are the pro's and con's of adding the CS8421 upsampling chip?

2) are there balanced outputs available on the pins of the DAC?

3) how easy is it to organise a switch between the different inputs?

Thanks

M

I'm also interested, and will probably get this one. Would it be appropriate to feed this directly into a B1 for volume control? I'm trying to make a preamp with digital and analog inputs. I think it should work, but is there anything I'd have to change?

-Nelson

Hi all,
I've just got mine and am wondering about what is the best implementation for the power supply. The choices are:
1. Straight 9-0,9-0 AC into the sockets
2. 12-0, 12-0 DC into the sockets
3. 12-0, 12-0 DC bypassing the rectifiers following Bel Canto's VBS (virtual battery supply) configuration with heaps of capacitance.

What is the voltage for the selector relay as I would like to tap it to connect to LEDs as input indicators?

I have yet to open mine up although it is in my possession.
Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.