hifidiy.net A20 mini 20W class A Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mini Krell?

Has anyone built this amp that can tell us a bit about how it sounds. Does this amp just sound like a lower power KSA 50?
I have just finished the build of this amp kit. I have never heard a Krell amp and am mostly familiar with tube amps, but to say that I am very pleased with the results would be an understatement. The build is not what one would call simple, as there are many components necessary to populate the boards and there is limited space within the case. However, I am rather pleasantly surprised at how nice this amp sounds. I have it temporarily driving a set of B&W 803Ds that are notoriously difficult to drive with a minimum recommended 50 watts. This amp drives them with some apparent ease and the bass is deep and tight, which is really surprising. Part of this might be because I use tube amps generally and the low impedance swings are of course extremely difficult for the transformer output tube amp.

Nonetheless, this amp is truly amazing, especially considering the very low cost of entry, at somewhere around 300 USD. The boards are of high quality, the components name brands and the case very well machined and finished. It does run hot, but not excessively so. I cannot really find any significant fault with the sound, save a possibly slightly rolled off top end and it does lack a very little bit of that midrange smoothness tubes seem to impart. Imaging is great, too. In a setup with speakers that are more friendly to this relatively low power output, I would think that the sound would be even better.

If you are inclined to pull the trigger, the girl at HifiDiy, Candy, is great to deal with and most helpful. I believe that you will not be disappointed in the least.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.