Hi Tech grease and oil...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on some of the Technics direct drive turntables the mat is a conductive rubber compound. And most of my friends (who have much better resources than myself) use Micro Seiki Cu180 copper mats on their SP-10 MkIIIs and swear by them. The static discharge wire from the headshell to ground is more often than not a pig in a poke. Of course they all have metal bearings so it may be a moot point.

John

Sounds like a losing battle here Sy. There's good evidence to show static build up on records either due to the belt drives acting like VDG's or through static build up from spinning in dry air.

If the vinyl is acting as an insulator and holding charge then surely all that needs to happen is for it to touch something grounded to earth- like the bearing spindle.

If the vinyl is acting as an insulator and holding charge then surely all that needs to happen is for it to touch something grounded to earth- like the bearing spindle.

That doesn't make sense to me. If the spindle is conductive, the only part of the vinyl that touches it is the center hole. Since the vinyl is nonconductive (i.e., near zero charge mobility), how would the charges from the rest of the vinyl get to the ground? Has someone actually published any evidence that static buildup is reduced when the spindle is grounded?

Attachments

• NRD.jpg
    NRD.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
fullerenes AKA BuckyBalls (iirc)

Sy: are the WS2 fullerenes compatible as an ad mix to other lubricants? If so where does one find small quantities to experiment with? Do you have any experience with conventional and or damping grease and would The WS2 fullerenes be a viable additive there to decrease friction also? In the case of my inverted bearing where grease is a necessity anything that will lower friction is a plus. Thanks.

Just got this message from my supplier of clock movements. I'm sure going to get some for use in clock repairs. Of course some of it will go straight away into my TT and motor bearings. I'll comment as soon as I try it.

This is the email I got from Mark Butterworth at butterworth clocks.
I have no connection in any way other than a customer of Butterworth Clocks.

Butterworth Clocks, Inc.

5300 59^th Ave. West, Muscatine, IA 52761

Tel: 563.263.6759 Fax: 563.263.0428

Email: _butterworth@machlink.com <mailto:butterworth@machlink.com>_

NANO-OIL LUBRICATION

Breguet stated “Give me the perfect oil, and I’ll give you the perfect watch.” My grandfather and father used porpoise jaw oil. Later I used synthetic oil. We used the best available in its time.

There is a new technology tested and used in everything from armaments to racing engines. The lubrication is by nanometer size spheres acting as ball bearings. There are 50 million of these tiny particles per square millimeter in oil acting as a carrier. It is the nano-bearings that provide the principle “lubrication,” not the oil. The nano-bearings attach themselves to both the pivot and the bushing and remain even after the oil is gone. A quarter of the amount usually used is required. Friction and wear are dramatically reduced.

I believe this is the finest product available. It is competitively priced with traditional oils. Although best results are obtained in applying this to dry pivots, it can be used with existing oil as the nano-bearings migrate to both the pivot and the brass.

We have tested it and I saw the results myself. First, the nano-oil was applied to a Hermle 451-033 unit that was in a barn and we had swapped out. We did nothing except apply the lube. Previously the chime fly would not begin to turn. After working it in, the unit ran like new. The second, a Kieninger PS 40 that was returned as the strike would not pull through. With this lube we are running the strike train on 7.5 lbs although the specs call for 8.4 lb. The third, an Urgos UW03096 was not chiming on the stated specs. With this lube we are now running the unit on 1 lb less than the specs.

The Nano-Oil comes satisfaction guaranteed:

8 cc $15 [this is a pen oiler]

15 cc $24

30 cc $39

Shipped free US mail to show what this will do.

Mark A. Butterworth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.