Hi, another dillettante here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been doing minor audio hackery since I was a teenager. I'm in my 40s now.

I have enough of an engineering background to be dangerous, I know what kinds of defects can be hidden in a well-written spec sheet, and I don't believe in the Tweak of the Week. I do believe that if we're going to make equipment sound better, we need to correlate measurement with perception.

I like op amps. I also like tubes - for guitar amps. I don't have a problem if someone prefers the sound of tube hi-fi gear. I prefer well-designed, well-built solid-state gear myself.

Most of my hackery is aimed at electric guitar and bass guitar amplification. But I've also studied solid state power amp design since the '70s and have a general idea how they *should* be designed. Walt Jung and Doug Self are two of the engineers whose work I admire.

So if anyone asks, that's where I'm coming from. I'll try not to betray too much ignorance too soon. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.