• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

HF oscillation with no load, but only on one channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That probably means one of them is using the wrong secondary. Double-check the switching around the OPT secs and feedback networks. Is it the 'low gain' one which oscillates?

It is the low gain one which oscillates, but the gains match nearly perfectly open loop, which may or may not be a coincidence.

There may have been a mistake in the leadouts on the transformers

Equal gain open-loop and equal feedback components would necessarily give equal gain closed loop. Something is wrong. 0.7 just happens to be the voltage ratio between 4 and 8 or 8 and 16. Putting it another way, the low gain channel has 1.4 times too much feedback which is why it is oscillating. If you used the 4ohm feedback for the 8 ohm secondary this would do it. (or 8 ohm feedback for 16ohm sec). Double check that area.

26 dB GNFB is quite demanding for OPT. I am quite sure that when you reduce the NFB to 20...22 dB, there is no oscillation anymore.

Sorry for seemingly ignoring your advice on this - I am slightly reluctant to reduce the feedback because I'm trying to reproduce the amplifier as exactly as possible.

As it happens, a 220n + 10R zobel cures the no load oscillation. Sadly, 100n isn't quite enough (though the oscillation doesn't hit full amplitude)

It seems to clean up the square waves a bit too.

Here's a 10Khz square wave. Is this decent enough?
HUfUy.jpg

One more thing to eliminate as a possibility: Also check the values of the feedback "load" resistors (the lower leg of the NFB circuit). If these were off significantly, it would not show up much at all under OL gain tests, but it sure would under CL gain tests!

Dave

Edit: Sorry -- I see the CL gain checks are now showing the channels to be equal.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.