HF loss in line arrays

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I stacked 48 of those Apex Jr. tweets in a 6 foot line

As Tom Danley stated, they don't couple so I add a +4dB 10KHz treble boost. The Aurasounds have a strong rising response of around +6dB from 375Hz to 6KHz which helps with the high frequency loss in the upper midrange point.

I do enjoy the oddities--for garage use the directional nature of them prevents floor/ceiling bounce and it's nice to have an even SPL from up close to about 3 to 4 meters away. Have a few brews and no worries about "horn burn" if you get the ears very close to the high frequency lines. The 3-way line arrays use 12 five inch woofers (6 ohms) 20 three inch full range mids (14 ohms) and 48 10mm dome tweeters (6 ohms) and crossed at 375 LR and 6K Bessel 2nd order. At this point, I am using a basic 10" subwoofer tuned to 32Hz but an 18Hz tapped horn will take it's place when the weather cools down in the fall.

Since DIY guys are almost required to have some odd-ball speaker design, I went for line arrays to learn about their weird operating characteristics. After the third redesign, I got very close and they meet my personal specifications for a active working garage speaker. For in house home use, I prefer point source.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.