• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hey, I'm looking for some of that "tube sound"!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mrs. Y has made sure that I'm not!

Well, that settles that then :)

May I ask what brand of xformer you're using?

They were wound by Dave Slagle. I heard about them when I visited Kurt Strain (I don't know if you're familiar with these names, they post fairly frequently on AA) who happens to live fairly close to me. Dave had a demo unit doing the rounds, so I picked up the one that Kurt had. At the time, my linestage was a Bottlehead Foreplay - also around $300, and my first DIY attempt, so definitely not the best that the FP could be. But still, I liked this one better, so I switched over.

So... I don't know anything technical about how they're wound or the materials used or anything like that. I know they have a frame that can be taken apart without too much work. Dave told me that I could rearrange the interleaving of the E-I laminations to change the voicing of the linestage a little, but it's not something that I've tried. And that's about all I know about it. Oh, one more thing. Every output volume tap has 2 wires going back into the windings. This confused me at first until Dave explained what he'd done. It's an autoformer, so it's just one long wire, and the output taps are just the wire coming out of the windings, and then going back into the windings to make further turns.

Pjotr, thanks for that link. It seems pretty interesting, and with Norman Crowhurst's articles, I usually find that I can understand a fair amount of what he's trying to say :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.