• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

My buffalo II is stock, with tridents, and placid supplies. So, it would be in asyncronous mode as far as I know. I built the dac maybe 8 years ago? Originally, just hooked up to a CD player with SPDIF. Then, a PC with a HiFace, then a PI with SPDIF, and Volumio, and I really liked having the android control. Next, I experimented with I2S connection, and different SBCs and the allo reclocker, etc.

Fast forward to now... I saw the Buffalo III with the ES9038PRO, and initially was ready to buy the whole works, new power supplies, BBB, hermes, cronus, BIII, mercury I/V, etc...

I went conservative, just got the BBB, hermes, and cronus, to run with the BII as a test first. The BBB and Volumio interface were important to me, and I wanted to see how the "front end" components worked before totally diving in! It's a good thing I went conservative, because, I still cannot get the hermes/cronus working.

I can get the BBB I2S outputs working with speaker test. So, it's not the problem.

Also, please understand, I know almost nothing about linux. The skill level most of you guys have here is amazing. I don't plan on writing code, just making my system work! I have a lot to learn!

I set the BBB back to use external clock, with the hermes/cronus connected, and speaker test does not work, I feel like there's got to be something wrong with one of the two TPA boards. With three components, dependent on each other, the troubleshooting has been difficult...

I won't give up! It's a learning curve. Not the first time I've dove into uncharted territory! I appreciate all the input from the people on this board!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
1) asynchronous mode on the 9018 does not require MCLK
2) perhaps at this point it would be best to move the troubleshooting to the TPA support forum, where you can post high resolution images and get feedback at a much more detailed level.
3) keep up the good attitude - you’ll be well rewarded! :)

Update: The 3.3v regulator was bad. Bypassed it with a 3.3v power supply, which brought some of the cronus back to life. Then, found I was losing both oscillator signals at IC6 which is unknown part number but must be the clock a/b selector. Bypassed it with a jumper wire, and now BBB speaker test is running, and I have output on DCK D1 D2...

Are any SPI pins available with Botic cape

Does anyone know if it is possible to use any of the SPI pins on P9 header together with the Botic Cape. I am trying to connect an LCD controlled through SPI together with the botic cape but I don't see an easy way. I could use the BBB I2C but that would limit the speed of LCD update. Struggling to attach a T6963C device previously used on an arduino MCU.

Yes (its going to need a different dtb), the thing is how I am going to tap on those pins having the botic cape connected.
The T6963C has a parallel 5V interface but that could be simulated with an MCP23017 and the appropriate SPI (5-3.3V) level converter circuit.
For the arduino there are libraries ready for that. I know it going to take some effort to port those.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is powering the BBB with 5v/2A power supply going to create any issues for Hermes and Cronus? Or should I get a 5V/1A power supply?
A little extra current capacity doesn't hurt at all. Nice if its not too noisy, IMHO.

For the 'clean' 5v source I use one side of TPA's LCDPS. That's been replaced in their lineup...

Last edited:
A little extra current capacity doesn't hurt at all. Nice if its not too noisy, IMHO.

For the 'clean' 5v source I use one side of TPA's LCDPS. That's been replaced in their lineup...

Thank you. I have an old Jemore industries power supply that I was using with Logitech Squeezebox that I am going to re-purpose.

Is my assumption about having more amps does not hurt as long as the voltage is correct for any of the devices? Sorry for the newbie questions, just starting to get my hands dirty :eek:

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thank you. I have an old Jemore industries power supply that I was using with Logitech Squeezebox that I am going to re-purpose.

Sure - use that for the BBB. If its enclosed with a plug I usually cut them out and mount them in the chassis to avoid the iffy plug connector. Terminal blocks much better...

Is my assumption about having more amps does not hurt as long as the voltage is correct for any of the devices? Sorry for the newbie questions, just starting to get my hands dirty :eek:

The combination of boards is designed, ideally, for 3 power supplies: 'clean' 5v for Buffalo and Cronus (further regulated by the AVCC & Tridents on BIII), 'dirty' 5v for BBB/Hermes, and a very clean bipolar supply for the I/V converter. While the 'clean' supplies are a point of focus for ultimate system tweaks, I use the very sensible TPA supplies because they are high bang/buck.

Enjoy getting your hands dirty! :)