Here's My Usher/Altec Horn Loaded Open Baffles...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your attentions

TBH, I don't intend to start the "mine's bigger" kind of game. The crazy-looking sketch has its own reasons.

I'm moving to a new place in the near future. The big white cabs at the corners are fixed onto the wall/floor so it's no way to move them. I have to start over.

It's just a simple thought -- utilizing what I have on hand, and make them more "portable" in the future.

The woofers are 4 * Eminence Sigma pro18, and 2* EV DL18W. Eminences are those on big whites. EV's are in the W-baffle next to the TV which can't be seen on the picture.

They are pretty old, too. EV's are 13 years old and Eminences are 8. It's hard to get rid of these big bad boys so I just keep using them. This also effectly stops me buying anything new.

I know, they are all low-Q (<0.3) drivers which are not very suitable for OB. However, the 2 back to back EV's in the W-baffle have been working nicely down to 30 some region with only minor EQ. Chops also proved that low-Q drivers work on OB nicely. So I don't worry.

I'll keep you updated when they shape up.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
chops said:

Funny, I don't remember asking you if they were boring to you or not. I really don't care. That's just your opinion which really doesn't matter one bit.

If it's boring, then why are you on my thread, other than to jump in on the fun of ganging up on me... typical. :dead:

I didnt say the pictures were boring, not at all ... but its boring to sit and wait, and then have to use the "curser" to horisontally align the picture, and then align again to be able to see who writes what, thats what bothers me the most

But I really dont understand your agressive attitude to this minor detail, when people are just giving friendly advise

It was actually me who drew your attention to the Usher woofers...so much fore that

Re: Thanks for your attentions

CLS said:
TBH, I don't intend to start the "mine's bigger" kind of game. The crazy-looking sketch has its own reasons.

I'm moving to a new place in the near future. The big white cabs at the corners are fixed onto the wall/floor so it's no way to move them. I have to start over.

It's just a simple thought -- utilizing what I have on hand, and make them more "portable" in the future.

The woofers are 4 * Eminence Sigma pro18, and 2* EV DL18W. Eminences are those on big whites. EV's are in the W-baffle next to the TV which can't be seen on the picture.

They are pretty old, too. EV's are 13 years old and Eminences are 8. It's hard to get rid of these big bad boys so I just keep using them. This also effectly stops me buying anything new.

I know, they are all low-Q (<0.3) drivers which are not very suitable for OB. However, the 2 back to back EV's in the W-baffle have been working nicely down to 30 some region with only minor EQ. Chops also proved that low-Q drivers work on OB nicely. So I don't worry.

I'll keep you updated when they shape up.

Looks like a nice little project you have ahead of you there. But t ell me, how does one sell a house with "built-in" bass bins? What do you tell the potential buyer? LOL

I look forward to seeing this project come to life!

tinitus said:

I didnt say the pictures were boring, not at all ... but its boring to sit and wait, and then have to use the "curser" to horisontally align the picture, and then align again to be able to see who writes what, thats what bothers me the most

But I really dont understand your agressive attitude to this minor detail, when people are just giving friendly advise

It was actually me who drew your attention to the Usher woofers...so much fore that

Actually, I was considering those Ushers months and months before I ever came on here mentioning anything about them. What made me finally purchase them is because they went on sale for nearly half off the regualr price and I already have a good chuck of money saved up for them.

chops said:

I wouldn't have been promoted to store manager within ONLY 2 months of being on the new job, not to mention receiving a pay raise 4x my already higher than average starting pay.

Congrats on the promotion at the new job! Way to start 2008! Hey, maybe I can come by and talk audio over lunch. Which Taco Bell location is it?

chops said:

AJinFLA said:

My god no, please do not close this thread, it is incredibly entertaining.
Chops, how about resurrecting those powerful 16hz Pyle PPA15 dipole subs to complement the powerful 30hz (-15db) 0.3Qts smarter-than-Pearless Ushers? That might be way cool (as apparently equalization is too now).
Plus it might keep the thread going and attention focused on you. Always a good thing if you need to add a second link at the bottom of every post .

cheers,

AJ

And once again, you clearly prove to the world why very few people actually like you. Your posts/comments are almost always useless. And as usual, you always try to start trouble, as you are doing here right now.

I knew it was only a short matter of time before you chimed in and blurted out a bunch of nothing. Very predictable if anything.

Wow, such hostility. What didn't you agree with? The roll off starting below 20hz with no low eq Pyle dipole subwoofer?
chops said:
I still can not believe the bass I am getting out of my dipoles. And they sure as heck do not roll off around 40Hz like everyone says. If anything, they start rolling off at 20Hz or below, and I am not exaggerating.
chops said:
they play WELL BELOW 20Hz with absolutely no problems

The non-stupid 0.3 Qts Usher?

chops said:
So what does everybody end up buying, including Siegfried?
A: Those stupid Pearless drivers with exactly the opposite specs for dipole usage and with a lot lower Q than needed

The use of heavy equalization? Which part didn't you agree with?

454Casull said:
I like AJinFLA, if you're thinking of doing something of a popularity poll.

Thanks. It must be your distance away from me eh?

CLS said:
I know, they are all low-Q (<0.3) drivers which are not very suitable for OB.

Eh? :scratch: Not suitable how?

Originally posted by CLS
Chops also proved that low-Q drivers work on OB nicely. So I don't worry.

He did? When? In this thread or the Pyle thread? I remember Linkwitz offering some proof http://www.linkwitzlab.com/faq.htm#Q34
Could you link Chops proof?

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA said:

Congrats on the promotion at the new job! Way to start 2008! Hey, maybe I can come by and talk audio over lunch. Which Taco Bell location is it?

And once again, you clearly prove to the world why very few people actually like you. Your posts/comments are almost always useless. And as usual, you always try to start trouble, as you are doing here right now.

I knew it was only a short matter of time before you chimed in and blurted out a bunch of nothing. Very predictable if anything.

Wow, such hostility. What didn't you agree with? The roll off starting below 20hz with no low eq Pyle dipole subwoofer?

The non-stupid 0.3 Qts Usher?

The use of heavy equalization? Which part didn't you agree with?

Thanks. It must be your distance away from me eh?

Eh? :scratch: Not suitable how?

He did? When? In this thread or the Pyle thread? I remember Linkwitz offering some proof http://www.linkwitzlab.com/faq.htm#Q34
Could you link Chops proof?

cheers,

AJ

Like I said, very predictable. :yawn:

The DCX2496 came in, I installed it, connected the RS-232 cable, got my laptop out, turned it on and it wouldn't boot into Windows! I already had the Behringer software installed and had some setting already made, but obviously couldn't load them at all. The laptop is about 4 years old, and the HD has been giving me a little trouble over the past year or so, so it was only a matter of time.

So with a dead laptop, I had no choice but to enter everything manually. It was really quite simple to do and I had it up and running within minutes. I first set the xover to L-R48 slopes at 754Hz. From there, I adjusted the I/O gains by ear so the Ushers and Altecs blended nicely together. After that, I pulled out my Behringer ECM-8000 mic, plugged it into the xover, placed the mic at my listening position, and let the auto calibration do its thing for the delay. Finally, after all of that was out of the way, I added HP (curves at -12dB slopes) and LP (curves at -6dB slopes) to the EQ section of the DCX similar to those of my old DEQ1024.

Now a few words on the sound...

First thing I noticed is that the signal is very clean and quiet, definately a step up fromt the Rane/DEQ setup. The second thing I noticed is that the DCX is more open and clear sounding.

One odd thing about the DCX is that when it did the auto calibration for delay, it left the LP outputs alone and delayed the horns instead! That is the exact reverse of what should be done (since the horn driver's motor is nearly 9" behind the woofer's motor), but it certainly sounds much better this way. The sound is very coheirent and "there" with this delay.

Tomorrow I'll be working the center channel into the the last set of I/O's of the DCX and tuning that one up. Speaking of which, I just ordered an Usher 15PA driver for the center channel as well. Since it seems that Parts Express is out of the HM's, plus the fact that I'll be dealing with a much smaller baffle with the center channel, the higher Qts of the 15PA should work a little better.

Anyway, here's a few pics...

p750493509-4.jpg

p861627806-4.jpg

p799478674-4.jpg

p887564221-4.jpg

chops said:

I first set the xover to L-R48 slopes at 754Hz. ...

One odd thing about the DCX is that when it did the auto calibration for delay, it left the LP outputs alone and delayed the horns instead!

That is typical for a high order xover.

Once I tried DCX2496 on 24db/oct L-R at 161Hz, the hi-pass delay was 2370mm/6.8ms !

They are one cycle away in a L-R24 filter.

CLS said:

That is typical for a high order xover.

Once I tried DCX2496 on 24db/oct L-R at 161Hz, the hi-pass delay was 2370mm/6.8ms !

They are one cycle away in a L-R24 filter.

Ah-ha! So there IS a reason why it set the delay that way. Thanks for clearing that up CLS.

augerpro said:
Chops are using the digital or analog input on the DCX from the preamp/reciever?

Analog all the way, and it sounds excellent. In fact, it sounds better than ever!

Today I got the center channel worked into the DCX. I first set the levels between the woofer and horn by ear, then adjusted the overall level to that of the main channels. From there, I tweaked it a tad by adding just a little bit of a HP boost at 8.87kHz, the same as the mains, but not as much boost. After that, I let my Pioneer Elite receiver do a full system "auto calibration" (levels, delay, minor EQ) for all channels.

I must say, it is sounding very impessive right now. I've played everything from red-label CDs to HDCD's to DVD-A's to even a movie (Cars). Everything, and I do mean everything sounded superb. I have never heard such seamless panning across the front three channels in my system before. Balance, levels, tonality, height... It all sounded very natural and real.

There's just the slightest bit of "thickness" or "chestiness" in the lower midrange in the center channel. I think this comes from the wrong driver being in the wrong enclosure having the wrong duty. I'm sure that once I get the Usher 15PA driver in, mounted to a small-ish OB, and angled slightly upward toward the listening position, that will all go away and it will sound just as good as the mains.

My next day off, I'll fire up SynRTA and see how things measure up. To be perfectly honest, I could probably be happy with the way it sounds right now for good, but I know that once I take some measurements, I'll have some tweaking to do which will ultimately end up with even better results. The good news is, I still have 17% processor power left in the DCX. After that, or if I need more flexability, I'll have to get the DEQ2496. I'm also planning on getting the FBQ2496 pretty soon.

What a Thread, fantastic

so somebody told me this
http://www.iakn.com/prosound/pwline.html
and there the 15PW3
a qts 0.61 should work in open baffel
and a first order x over

but how to calculate a proper open baffel ?????

would be my first
t
he mid's and high would be something rather strange
with a small back chamber
http://www.manger-msw.de/en/produkte/index.html
and go there on Manger sound transducer
it is a special one with a round baffel on the baffel
out off the mid it can sound fantastic.

couple of D Class amps like http://www.41hz.com/
and there the truepath could do the trick

and on a very quite barebone runnig this http://xover.sourceforge.net/
and output dircet to the D-class
why not

and with http://www.libinst.com/SynRTA.htm
already once mentioned her the job could be done

doable or not

any objections are welcome
:smash: :smash:

Another update...

I got in the Usher 15PA driver a week or so ago. Today I finally had the time to install it into the center channel. With a little trimming of the original enclosure (4.23 cf sealed), I was able to shoe-horn the Usher driver in.

As you can tell by the pictures below, I am also trying a slightly different driver configuration just for the heck of it. So far, it sounds pretty darn good and matches up pretty well with the mains from about 100Hz on up. ATM, it's only tuned by ear, but seems fairly close in tonal balance with the mains.

If I can find the time on my next day off, I'll fire up SynRTA and run through the front three channels.

BTW, I also totally rewired the entire system and moved the equipment around a bit. Everything is now on the rack where it should be, IC cables are shorter, tied together and seperated as far as possible from the power cables. The power cables are also tied together. All new speaker wire was run to the front three channels as well.

Anywho, here's a few pics of how it sits right now.

p364017427-4.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

p972059672-4.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.