Here's a challenge....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm old enough to remember what 'Body, end, dot' means. cars had steel dash boards, with no seat belts or air bags, no radial tyres and had to stop with only drum brakes and a prayer!
A Baby boomer...we even invented Rock and Roll!
My daily driver still has drum brakes. A 59 ford sedan. Will be trying out the new crankshaft tomorrow to the country, how I spent my summer. Still has points, if you get a problem with that, you can trace problems with the blue sparks, don't need a meter or a $100000 computer tester.
Oh, & I was a fan of Blue Suede Shoes before Elvis covered it- Carl Perkins. Ran my Dad's car battery down when I discovered R&R on the radio, he had to put the AC radio in my room to keep me away from it. (Adults had a television). But I did put seat belts in it, I bounced my face off the dashboard in 1957 and didn't like it Car still has a working AM tube radio, but AM band is not worth listening to anymore, all religion and politics.
What brand organs did you service, or were you an independent? I got my first hammond in 2010 after the H100 models went below $200, put 70 capacitors in it; it will rattle the chandilier now. Got the Wurlitzer 4500 last month for $25 +$20 gas money; need a lot of new capacitors +???, only a feeble sound on the lower manual. the H100 has 23 tubes, very old fashioned and reliable.
Speaking of body color dot, I never did learn to read the 6 dot mica capacitors. My ST70 has some mica caps that look like dominos with 6 color dots on them. Do you know how to read them? I assume colors are like resistors, but where do you start?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hehe,
As far as I know, the magazine source is the existing publisher's file copies so the DVD copy can be quite recent. I guess I should have said that the magazine predated WW rather than the archive. That would have been better.
Indeed, I have felt old on occasion but not ancient enough to have made it here around 1790! Nope.. it might have been fun but think of all the DIYAudio I'd miss! :D

Indianajoe, I serviced mostly Lowrey and Yamaha. Kawai, Technics and even a couple of Hammonds. My first was a Farffisa Ballata. I have a tonewheel Hammond transistor job at this time that I am working on and just fixed a big Kawai for a friend. Used to repair them independently but I still have a huge pile of old service manuals mostly for old Lowrys and Yamahas. I am looking for a way to use a couple of 15" speakers from Leslie units that I acquired some time ago...they are very efficient but may distort too much because of that. I even have a transformer coupled transistor amplifier from a 'Lowrey Festival' on hand!
Learning how to trace and repair faults on organs was very hard at first. My mind was just numb for ages, until I started to learn some tricks.(The earpeice came from there.) I still don't like Lowrey's! I worked on a couple of Wurlitzers with sythesizers but was not impressed with the PCB quality or the soldering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.