Hemptone FR 5"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any driver can be EnABL'd...

Yep, that is the relative truth. The parts express driver's unscreened front surface will have less of the "hall of mirrors" same frequency resonances, that come from standing waves that are not properly terminated, but every one of those clumps and bumps is going to add it's own reflection/diffraction to the transverse wave as it crosses the cone, while creating the compression wave that you hear. So, two steps forward and one step back. EnABL would help here, and dramatically at that, but would be a total PITA to apply to that surface.

Bud

planet10 said:
Getting the 1st stage of EnABL done at the factory would dramatically lower the implementation cost (anyone got a 1000 drivers worth of spare change?)

Maybe a group buy will sort that out. We'd just have to find a manufacturer willing to make in the range of 100-200 drivers. I'm pretty sure a far eastern manufacturer wouldn't ask too many questions as long as there's cash involved.

Though, settling on some commonly accepted parameters for those drivers would probably result in total anarchious board war. :)

Re: Re: Heavy Mod?

planet10 said:

I agree on the hemp drivers pricing... but they are made in the USA in small batches (as opposed to 1000s at a time in China (there are some VERY good driver's made in China althou most of those still have direction from Japanese, European, or North American designers -- but the Chinese people are on the whole smart, and they are learning very fast)

dave

Fair and accurate comment, lots of visitors here love to rubbish Chinese made or designed drivers....

cheers...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Heavy Mod?

vinylkid58 said:

Oh, I think I can deal with that.;)

The original plan was to slap some Onken boxes together for them. Like I said, that's going to take a while.

Jeff

"slapping"? - now you've got our attention Jeff, :joker:

but in all seriousness, don't be surprised if the driver's T/S parameters dictate something at least larger than the original Fonken enclosure

I'm thinking something like Mileva on testosterone might be in order (gee, I hope we're manly enough for that challenge :wchair: )

Hi T-head. No, problem, I am interested in en-ABL so will check it out. I thought you had just made a typo or using some slang term about the enable.Maybe it will make my paper W4-616 better.
I have been interested in markmc's mods for T-B but now they are only for discontinued drivers so cannot be used :-(. Sounds like enabl is a shotgun approach but still better than nothing.

Looks like the photo posted is an Usher driver:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=296-602

Anyhow, sounds like the Hemp drivers are not for me and no better than what i am using now. maybe I'll get a chance to hear them but I'm not going to by them / build cab's/ etc unless I am pretty sure i will like them.
Some of the other quasi- full range like Dayton and usher look like they have merit.

Fonken vs Mileva

chrisb said:

but in all seriousness, don't be surprised if the driver's T/S parameters dictate something at least larger than the original Fonken enclosure

I'm thinking something like Mileva on testosterone might be in order (gee, I hope we're manly enough for that challenge :wchair: )

Yes, about 20 liters for the Fonken style box.

On paper, the FR4.5 works quite well in a Mileva style box, just looks a little lost on the big front baffle. I really wanted to save the Milesterone for something else though, maybe FF165K.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.