Hemp FR8 full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: happy with OB...panomaniac and others

Nanook said:
how much? for two pieces 31.5" X 35.5" ?

Tracking number to be provided when package ships.

u on a Mac?

stew

If those dimensions are width by height, a single 4x8 sheet would give you the fronts and 2x 9" side panels with the same grain direction. The current local industrial discount pricing is $255/sheet; as for cutting costs - if you have to ask .... ;)

Mac at home, XP- PC at work (from which most of these posts originate)

Scottmoose said:
Out of interest, what was / vibration like with the perspex?

As best as I can recall, minimal. This particular design has 2 layer center panel of BB, to allow for testing of different drivers on removable baffles, and the plexi is mounted on foam weatherstrip tape.

panomaniac said:

I'll second that. The bamboo ply is very nice. Very high $$, tho. About $220 a sheet where I live.

Nanook, I have to trust you on that one. I've never had any luck getting OB bass out of the Hemps. In a box - e.g. Dave's Demetri - they rock.

Are Stew's drivers an earlier production with different T/S parameters from those in the LGS?

Re: Josh, sorry didn't answer your questions....

Nanook said:
  1. regular "shop grade" 3/4" Birch plywood, not Baltic Birch. For aesthetic reasons, I'd be tempted to use something a little nice.
  2. seems a minimum of 3' behind the OBs is good, but it does take a little time in your room to figure out
  3. no dampening material anywhere:)
    [/list=1]

And please follow the input from Joseph Esmilla (the JE in JE Labs), finish (as in stain paint , etc...) before listening to them. Once you start listening you won't want to take them apart to do it afterwards.

I would also use good quality binding posts, and Cat5 or better speaker cable to wire from the binding posts to the drivers. Please solder the connections to the drivers themselves.

er also, "Nelless" (my last name):= "Nelles"(somebody else's last name)

1. Great information! Thank you!!

Joshua

Just a lil more info on the FR8C in Singulars. I've lately had a chance to compare the FR8C in my singular cabinets and they are still on top. I've tried the Visaton B200, Supravos 215, Fostex FE206E, Audio Nirvana Super8, Silver flute, Bozak (both with helper tweeter) and now the Fertin 20EX (field coil).

To me, the FR8C are just a little more natural and even sounding than all of the above. Some are better in some areas, but none have the overall cohesiveness...

I Damar treated the outer ring of the dustcap and the outer ring of the whizzer. I like them quite a bit. Bass is also solid down to the low 40s in the singular cabs (can't measure them at this point).

These are keepers... at the price, it's a no-brainer. Kudos.

more information.....

When you consider that a sheet is $220+, it could really be a great value. It looks incredible. And if a 4'X8" sheet, then enough to do a nice set of boxes or baffles.

AFAIK the FR8s I have are current production (about a year old.)

I was pointing out the height of the driver (guessing from memory) as used on Dave's baffles. I use them centred at 13.5" off of the floor, with approximately 10° back tilt. I really need to get some better photos of them posted.

They do sound good in the Demetris, driven by tubes, T-amp and big solid state. They are phase plugged and whizzerless. Also work in 20 litre ported box tuned to 42Hz or so. Now if I can implement the BSC...for the Demetris I could be happier with them :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hemp Demetris

Nanook said:
I'm assuming that I actually need it.

Gonna cost you some bucks to try. About 4.7mH in parallel with 4 ohms might do it. Add a variable resistor (or 1/2 an L-Pad) and adjust to taste. Big inductors cost $$.

dmason said:
I would love to hear the Demetri w/ FR8. Me one Haole can wait til Feb. hope to go to you house. Talkin a Poinz awready.

Shootz brah! No Bamboo Demetris (AKA Little Grass Shack) stay here our Little Grass Shack. :( Just bamboo skinned OBeez. But come on! Bring choke CDz.

Watch out for Poinz, da buggah lolo! ;)

up against the wall.

well I moved the Demetris up very close to the rear wall (about 7" behind the enclosure). Hmm the bass and midbass go deeper, but I don't think improved the sound. A trade off between the "open" sound I like and an improved lower end in response.

pano mahn... I understand big inductors cost big $$$. My intent would be to do it passively and at line level between my passive preamp and power amp. I agree some kind of flexibility in regards to components (L-pads or easy to change out resistors) would be good for me.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: up against the wall.

Nanook said:
My intent would be to do it passively and at line level between my passive preamp and power amp.

That's a good idea, and much cheaper. :)

However, I have found that PLLXO really benefit from low drive impedance, like a good active preamp. Or maybe putting the filter before the pot. It's easy to make a passive setup sound wimpy.

Have a look at the circuit below. It could be used inline for adjustable BSC. I use something very much like it for OB bass correction. The pot allows you to dial in from about 6dB full correction to about 1dB. The switch bypasses the EQ, but not the attenuation. That way you can listen to the circuit flat, to hear if it is affecting the signal any.

Attachments

• bsc-circ.gif
    bsc-circ.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 846
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: up against the wall.

planet10 said:
Have you seen this one?

Now I have! =) Thanks Dave.

Pretty much the same thing, but that one has a high end boost that I'm not using. Simple but clever.
FWIW, in my OB version I'm using a low more attenuation than is shown in my circuit above, as the OB needs it.

lack of drive with a passive...

pano,
Thankfully my preamp has an active mode as well the passive (McCormack micro line drive)., but I was hoping to keep that for possible subwoofer duty.

Dave , do you have any good software for generating and recording to cd? Audacity is a little cumbersome, and iTunes sux!

I don't need any high frequency boost, I do need the low end to offset in room placement. The Demetris really sound good, except for the lack of bass (so sez the significant one , who's the real bass head in this house;) ).

I'm hopin to order some drivers within the week for New Year delivery from you Dave.

And to all here, hope your holidays are as good as they can be. Please save a little for some who are less fortune and donate in the New Year--people will still be hungry after Christmas too.

oh ya, if you think of it please visit Grant Fidelity (www.grantfidelity.com) . Email Ian, he's selling a Christmas music disk for $12, $11 goes to the Calgary Food Bank. (still not too late, or maybe he'll allow paypal and downloads...)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: lack of drive with a passive...

Nanook said:
I don't need any high frequency boost, I do need the low end to offset in room placement. The Demetris really sound good, except for the lack of bass (so sez the significant one , who's the real bass head in this house;) ).

What and where is the damping on these? We found that it didn't take much adjustment to change the quantity of bass (mind you, not with the HA)

dave

quanity of dampening...

Dave,

as per our previous exchange (pix on last page or two). Maybe they are over-dampened...

when do you sleep?

I'll take a driver out to refresh my memory (old man-itis this holiday season). and report back.

I think I'll still make a circuit for BSC correction, with the high frequency "boost" built in (and hopefully tunable with a mod or two). Pushed into the corners the speakers sound a little "cupped". Still nice , but not as nice with 3' of space all around them.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: quanity of dampening...

Nanook said:
when do you sleep? .. I think I'll still make a circuit for BSC correction, with the high frequency "boost" built in (and hopefully tunable with a mod or two). Pushed into the corners the speakers sound a little "cupped".

usually between 2-3 and 7-10 AM.

having a variable circuit to play with is a good idea -- think i'll have to make one up to.

EnABLing the box could well help a lot with that last

dave

PS: thanx for the presie -- 2 playstations in the back of the truck :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.