Hemp FR8 full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That the hemp cone mixture is a product of Harrison's trial and error is a matter of record and is reflected in his registered trade names, HempTone and Hemp Cone.

The driver that interests THEM the most is the "Super Boy" Bass 10, with 96db, Fs68, and some other positive attributes.

Paul,

Did you build those BIB's yet?

Nice!... I am listening to the soundtrack to Basic Instinct 2, Jerry Goldsmith, synths by Edgar Froese, (Tangerine Dream,) and this high dog recording with SET/SuperHemps is just unbelievable. Listening, as I looked at your BIB shots really had an effect; I think you are in for a serious treat.

I also think that the Hemp FR8 just keeps getting better with more mileage.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• hemploaded.jpg
    hemploaded.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,247
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
lousymusician said:

Salas,

Scanning back through this thread, I saw that in post #2 I managed to type 0.1 mH instead of 1.0, which is what I'm actually using. No wonder folks thouht I was out in left field! Gotta proofread more carefully, I seem to be getting more dyslexic as I age.

I dropped the resistor from 13R to 9.5R after treating the whizzer with a little damar varnish. I'm amazed that I wound up by SWAG right around were you got by measurement. I think that the ideal for my system right now would be somewhere in between. Maybe increase the size of the inductor a bit, too. I'm sure the bypass cap would help the measured response in the 10k - 20k range, but I don't feel a great need for it.

Do you have any before / after FR plots you could share?

Bill

Here it is. Gray is 'before'.

Attachments

• hemploaded.jpg
    hemploaded.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,205
Hemp fr 8

Hi guys,
I just registered with your forum as I am interested in the Hemp driver.
History: in 1978 I got my first HIFI, onkyo receiver tx 4500 and speaker sc 60 - I still have them and they are still good compared to todays stuff.

Now I listen to Tannoy HPD 385 or Yamaha ns 1000 with either tube amps (el 34) or onkyo amp a 10 also from 1978.
I love vinyl, have 5000 records and 4 players (thorens 126 II, technics 1210 II, nottingham analog spacedeck, thorens 3001).

I searched the net about full range drivers and made a shortlist: Hemp fr 8 or Hammer Dynamics 12 (not full range, has a tweeter above 10000 H).
I personally don't like slimm column speakers as the suggested cabinet for the hemps. Big nd wide is more my taste, although against the trend.

The net is full of things about the Hammers but there is little about the Hemps. Seems to me, that the Hammers are super good. Problem is, they are not available in Thailand, where I live.
The Hemps are quite cheap and available HERE!!

My room is quite large, 400 sq.feet/36 sq.m. I like all kinds of music from Madonna, Linkin Park, Beethoven, M.Davis, Bach etc.

I want to discover the world of SE amps, 300 B, 2a3 and 211. we have some interesting local products here, not expensive.

I listend to Fostex a few times, and they didn't pass the Led Zep test. Good on chambewr music and small jazz, but Whole Lotta Love did not impress me.

Any advice would be helpful. Someone comming to Thailand soon? Maybe I can also be of some help.

Best wishes
Heiner

Heiner,

I like my Hemps (in their tall, skinny cabinets) more and more as time goes on. Whether it's the drivers or my ears breaking in is an open question. :confused:

But, mine live in a room of only 154 ft^2. I suspect that playing Zeppelin at a satisfying level in a 400 ft^2 room would be a tall order for any full ranger, including the Hemps. To do that with a SE tube amp is probably a job for something with big, high efficiency woofers and horns.

I have a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris drivers in my living room (~600 ft^2). Not 'full range', they have 15 inch woofers with coaxial horn tweeters. They are ~96 dB/1W efficient, and are built to be used as dipoles so they live in short, wide open baffles. They need a few feet behind them to 'breathe', but given that they're pretty easy to get sounding good. The drivers cost a bit more than the Hemps, but with open baffles the cabinetry costs are minimized. For an SET-friendly speaker that will work in a big room, they are pretty cost-effective. Not what you're looking for, I know, but maybe a direction to explore.

Bill

Heiner,

You will not be disappointed by the hemps..... I have the 810hq drivers somewhat modified(phase plug, dammar on whizzer, basket damping and terminal mod) and they are really making some music.. Dynamic like the hammers but faster... faster even than my modified fostex 168s design.

Tim

intraman said:
Heiner,

You will not be disappointed by the hemps..... I have the 810hq drivers somewhat modified(phase plug, dammar on whizzer, basket damping and terminal mod) and they are really making some music.. Dynamic like the hammers but faster... faster even than my modified fostex 168s design.

Tim

Intraman,

What are you using for a phase plug? The last I remember someone trying to install one, the whizzer came off with the dustcap. Did you run in to the same issue?
What was your "terminal mod"?

Thanks,

Bill

BTW ... I am using this 8" Hemp in a 50 L BR loosely based on the Nagoaka BS 168 ....certainly not optimal .... only 60 or so hours on the drivers... still my feeling is that , with a few mods, this driver may prove to be something special.. especially given the modest cost.

Tim

Raymond,

fr8b I believe with the paper whizzer and no shorting ring on the voice coil. They call it fr810hq in Europe? I actually ordered the fr8c.... I'm actually glad to get the old stock from E-speakers. Tweeking a "non-hemp" paper whiz to a new level is old hat to me now..

This may be the first full range with a whizzer that I could live with..

Tim

Hi guys,

first I want to thank intraman and lousymusician for their reply to my questions.

Yesterday I saw the movie "Ocean 12 " on TV and was surprised about the qood music and how my standard TV with 'full range' driver played it. Made me wonder if HIFI sometimes goes the wrong way.
Maybe sitting in front of speakers and listen to test CDs ins't the real thing. Maybe there is more to discover!

Are there more people with full range drivers on the form? PHY 21, Goodmans, Supraphone?

Somebody got a Hammerdynamics?

Maybe I should just buy the Hemps, built the standard cabinet, will cost me max. 450 $, not much compared to other options.

Has anybody got experience with Yamaha NS 1000? I drive them with EL 34 amps, 26 watt. They sound a little metalic and harsh on some recordings even with pre and power tube amps.
I think about tweaking the x over and the poties (they might be the main source for the harsh sound).

Best regards
Heiner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.