Help with Subs and Amp (basic)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a 1200 watt amp (4 channel, 300 watt) with a 1 farad cap. all coming off my Nissan (NX)'s poor little battery. It drives my four 12" subs nicely, especially with the solar "battery charge topper" I got a year ago and starts strongly every time.

I just bought two more 400 watt subs (couldn't help it, friend needed money and they were a steal) and I want to swap out my two oldest subs (which aren't even concave in the center and are made of the "standard" speaker foam). Can I do this without damaging anything or getting crappy sound/response, even though all four subs would then total 1400 watts?

If you can't tell, I don't really know much about audio and don't have the specs or names of any of the equipment (except my head unit -- a Pioneer DEH-P6500. And I have Pioneer speakers whose wattage I can't remember, but that likely doesn't matter).

All my stuff is self-installed because NOBODY is going to touch my junk-*** car but me (see: I'm broke and know the very basics of electronics, meaning if I can DIY with non-optimal results but results nonetheless I'm doing the work). I don't compete with my car or try to break windows in houses as I drive by, but I don't buy Wal*Mart stuff either. I just like to be able to FEEL my music now and then on the occasional road trip, and would like to hand-me-down the old subs to my little brother who's just getting interested in car audio.

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for n00bing up your forum :) Always fun to be a forum vet venturing into a new area of expertise.

If the boxes that each speaker goes in are not individual to each speaker then you need to use identical speakers all round. In fact it's best to use identical speakers all round anyway as you will get some interference around the low cut-off points otherwise.

The wattage of either the amp or the subs is pretty irrelevant unless they are wildly different.

Each box is seperate (2 subs each), but each speaker has its own terminals. The four subs I currently have (two each of two different types) are identical wattage, though I don't know the (peak watts?) or (minimum watts?) or (db?) or anything offhand.

I once heard that underpowering a sub is a damaging as overpowering it. Hence my concern, even though I've never overpowered a sub and therefore don't know how damaging it is, just that it is. Anyone care to explain the basics of speakers and subs and some of the terms I should know so as not to sound as ignorant as I undoubtedly do?

Finally, what do you mean by:
you will get some interference around the low cut-off points otherwise.
Specifically, in regards to "low cut-off points?" I know what interference is, but interference from what/where? I used to get line noice on my rear speakers until I used the HPF settings on my head unit (high frequency pass? I don't even know what that would do. Filter out high freqs?) though I doubt this would be the same type of fix.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.