Help with Ressurecing a Pair of Tannoy Sensys DC1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello friends,

I am new to this site, have really enjoyed reading it, and am looking forward to continuing my hobby.

I've got a pair if Tannoy Sensys DC1 bookshelf speakers as seen here.

Tannoy - Residential - Summary

I love them for what they are. However, after several moves and a destructo-boy 6 year old, the cabinets have gotten a bit banged up over the years.

My hope is to use the drivers, and possibly the crossover in a pair of custom built towers. I am great in the shop but need to ideas and direction of what type of towers to build. I want them to sound great and look cool.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Without measuring the drivers, it's a crapshoot. If you want a tower, you could simply build one internally partitioned with the upper part having the same volume as your existing boxes & containing the driver & reflex port. The sealed off lower part could be mass loaded with sand, cat litter or whatever.

Let's assume that the Tannoy engineers did their homework on original enclosure design, and as Scott says that without measuring the drivers, that you'd be best advised to replicate the volume, porting and any internal bracing / damping that you find. Making a box bigger on the outside and/or morphing dimensions within reasonable limits is probably not too risky an endeavor.

While you may not find anyone willing to suggest revised design for working enclosure volume/ tuning etc without accurate measures, helpful advice on design / aesthetics for new towers will be no problem ;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.