Help with my new home party system

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
A definite convert to SpeakON connectors, so easy to use; so much so that I took advantage of the sale to buy some ready built cables but what I really need is a better party mixer.
This $30- unit doesn't have secure connections and enough inputs.
It was however the only unit I could find in my area that was under $100- and available
The old unit had reverb/echo and could take 4 mike inputs [ my sisters like Karaoke ] and I like to be able to use my old laptop as a music machine sometimes but my beloved wife likes to use Spotify from her phone.
Some of the new compact units look OK but as I'm getting older my eyesight isn't what it used to be and the units are too compact with correspondingly small knobs and notations and I can't see the damned things without a magnifier. I'd appreciate any advice or hints people could help me with there.
My mate the saxophone player says it's a better set-up than the one the band he is in uses but I think they might have much better speakers and a much bigger desk

How much do you want to spend on a mixer? There are plenty available with bluetooth built-in so look for that, and most DJ style mixers have at least 1 mic input and lots of line inputs. There are all kinds of chinese knockoffs of a small pro sound mixer available, many of those have EFX built in too but the downside is lots of small knobs, buttons, and text.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
It's those tiny knobs and buttons I wish to avoid.
Money is tight after stocking the bar with beer and spirits for the party but after than I'd not like to drop more than $300- for something basic but better than I have. My old Tandy mike mixer seems to have died since the last time I used it and mike mixers seem to be quite exxy here.
I'm thinking that something lightly used and second hand would be my best bet but I'm not sure what to look for these days.
Home use only
I could stretch to $500- if I had too.
I have an old analogue reverb unit here but being RCA it needs adaptor patch cords which quickly becomes a PITA and I'd need an adapter shelf to use it in the rack. Fun piece of gear tho

The Behringer Flow8 retails for $299us, it doesn't look like much but there are a ton of features under the hood that are easily accessed by a phone app.

Do you want a rack mounted mixer? The Alesis Multimix10 wireless retails for $329, it has bluetooth but doesn't have any onboard EFX... but does have an AUX send/return loop to patch something in.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
A bit of a use review.
New to me S/H pro amp the Peavey had to be used at about half power and using the Behringer graphic EQ we tried a bit of bass boost for last week-ends birthday party.
Adding boost at 25Hz didn't do much except make it boomy. but adding it at 40Hz really added some ooomph for want of a better term. Added +6 at 40 and +3 at 63 and I've no idea how much power was being used but the amps were set at 50% and the volume control never went over 4 or 5
The fellers kept asking me to turn the volume up and the girls wanted it turned down, the wife won.
Really impressed with the Pro gear and especially a convert to Speakon connectors

Reactions: 1 user