Help with Memphis 1000D's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It could cause either problem.
From your repair page--In class D amplifiers, you should not make any substitutions. In some cases, the new replacements will vary enough from the originals that the same part number component will not work properly.

So what would you recommend. I need four IRF640's and eight IRF9640's. I read that you should buy a full stick of parts and I "plan" on fixing at least one other amp. They came out of the same vehicle I'm hoping the repair is similar, I'll be sure to test first before I order anything.

This site/you guys are awesome. I've had these amps in the basement for over 5 years. I can't thank you all enough. I'm a member of a site like this for my car repairs and the fact that people are willing to share their knowledge and help out regular ol' people that they don't even know has saved me so much money and so many headaches. I'll say it again, you guys are awesome. I'm not sure when I'll be able to fork up the cash for the parts but I will surely keep you posted. Thanks again. In the meantime I'm sure I'll be surfing the site. I've been building speaker cabinets since I was about 11. I have some fiberglass 3-way loudspeakers I made. I'm probably gonna post pics soon.

Last edited:
From your repair page--In class D amplifiers, you should not make any substitutions. In some cases, the new replacements will vary enough from the originals that the same part number component will not work properly.

So what would you recommend. I need four IRF640's and eight IRF9640's. I read that you should buy a full stick of parts and I "plan" on fixing at least one other amp. They came out of the same vehicle I'm hoping the repair is similar, I'll be sure to test first before I order anything.

I've tested the other 1000d, I got readings of 1.0 and lower on a couple of leg combo's from two transistors.. Luckily it's only on one output side this time so "if" it's just the transistors it's gonna be less to buy. I'm gonna set it up to test for sound clarity in a few minutes.

Don't drive it hard. This is just to see if any of the drive circuit is damaged.

If it works properly, you'll need to replace all of the output transistors in the group that had shorted outputs.

I want to be sure I'm not doing more than I have to. Each group of of output transistors has 6 total. Four 9640's and two 640's all in parallel. If only one of the 640's is bad, do I only need to replace both 640's? And vice versa with the 9640's? If only one of the 9640's is bad, I replace all four and I can leave the two 640's that are good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.