Help with box designing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Viki,

I agree with Pinkmouse...Subwoofer:To be used with what? If with your uncompleted MTM? If not:
I recommend You starting a new thread at the Subwoofers forum,:( I think you've have already reached the bottom of this fish pond.

If you don't place more specific questions/requirements in this thread,don't expect any answers: Your hook is being without a proper bait, at least respond to the already given questions/answers.

b:)

PS: Did you ever consider to test T101:s good suggestion of converting your filters into a 2.5 filter types and to line a third of the ML-TL enclosure(starting from the top of your enclosure) with damping material?

hello,
sorry for not answering , facing severe Electricity load shedding in my city , Thats why getting to start pc at intervals.

regarding sub woofer, I had purchased 4 nos 5 1/4" mid drivers and tweeters and a 12" woofer out of excitement of , and these drivers are gathering dust.
so thought to make some good use of them.

I will finish my TL speakers first.
crossover is in process, have ordered the inductors, as was not confident in winding own inductors.

searching for appropriate damping material, polyester foam is available but not in small quantity, so searching for alternatives. can i use recron material which is used in soft pillows.

Hi viki,

I'm too very late...

Which configuration of the different suggested filters will you test? The one you showed us in post#16
or the one T101 suggested in post#22 that I made a cut and paste of in post#40?

T/S data for the 12” driver?For what purpose did you buy the 51/4” drivers?

Pillow fillings(polyfill) is one option but better is to use long hair sheep-wool or a mix of the materials. In the port I recommend evenly distributed pillow fill.

I am sorry to ask , but I have not been able to understand the charts in post no 33.

:eek:? What do you not understand

The first of the simulations deal with M-T-W design = Only one woofer are using the gross enclosure volume using the first filter suggestion you showed in post# 16( You have to close the volume behind the upper M- driver, a couple of Liters would work well.

The second is when two drivers are sharing the enclosure volume, Rek. using a 2.5 XO.

The third is a simulation to compare with: Normal design using only one driver.

Hi viki,

I'm too very late...

Which configuration of the different suggested filters will you test? The one you showed us in post#16
or the one T101 suggested in post#22 that I made a cut and paste of in post#40?

T/S data for the 12” driver?For what purpose did you buy the 51/4” drivers?

Pillow fillings(polyfill) is one option but better is to use long hair sheep-wool or a mix of the materials. In the port I recommend evenly distributed pillow fill.

:eek:? What do you not understand

The first of the simulations deal with M-T-W design = Only one woofer are using the gross enclosure volume using the first filter suggestion you showed in post# 16( You have to close the volume behind the upper M- driver, a couple of Liters would work well.

The second is when two drivers are sharing the enclosure volume, Rek. using a 2.5 XO.

The third is a simulation to compare with: Normal design using only one driver.

Hello,
I had bought 12" and 5 1/4" drivers to make 2.1 System for my pc.

I will try with crossover in post 40.

I saw such charts with all the formulas for first time. Dont know what are those formulas.

Hello,
I had bought 12" and 5 1/4" drivers to make 2.1 System for my pc.

I will try with crossover in post 40.

I saw such charts with all the formulas for first time. Dont know what are those formulas.

Attachments

• 12 inch woofer.jpg
    12 inch woofer.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 57
Here is one example using a 7" driver:

Hello,
Was out for business purpose so could not reply,
Received Frequency Response and datasheet for SM20NL-8" Woofer I am using for tower speaker. datasheet Shows speaker is for sub application , upto 250Hz.
So did not complete it , and while shifting my residence 2 speakers got damaged.

The earlier charts you mailed are Based on martin kings spread sheet.- I searched for detail and spent some time understanding them , though the formulas are bit tough for me.

As you have MJK 's Sheets, Can you guide me with understanding the MJK Alignment Tables.

Thank You

... Frequency Response and datasheet for SM20NL-8" Woofer I am using for tower speaker. datasheet Shows speaker is for sub application , upto 250Hz...

Hi viki,

Is your data similar to what I found at the Peerless of India site?
See first submitted picture.

The earlier charts you mailed are Based on martin kings spread sheet.- I searched for detail and spent some time understanding them , though the formulas are bit tough for me...As you have MJK 's Sheets, Can you guide me with understanding the MJK Alignment Tables.

If you have problem to follow the MJK Alignment Table instructions on how to choose appropriate CSA:s,lengths and weights of damping material:

I suggest you to as a start to try using HR = Hornresp = Horn Response program instead to estimate a suitable TL Length /CSA:s, this for an enclosure with no stuffing at all but in reality must be added to most quarter-wave designs to behave well.

So if you understand how to enter Driver TS data into HR and by the use of the built in 'Wizard' it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to estimate a box that you can build and stuff with confidence ,now using the MJK instructions.

I put the data into HR for your 8" driver and designed a T-TQWT + an OD-TL and more.. See the second picture...

Attachments

• Peerless-of-India_SM20NL-8.JPG
    Peerless-of-India_SM20NL-8.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Peerless-of-India_SM20NL-8_subs.JPG
    Peerless-of-India_SM20NL-8_subs.JPG
    670.5 KB · Views: 42
Hi viki,

Is your data similar to what I found at the Peerless of India site?
See first submitted picture.

If you have problem to follow the MJK Alignment Table instructions on how to choose appropriate CSA:s,lengths and weights of damping material:

I suggest you to as a start to try using HR = Hornresp = Horn Response program instead to estimate a suitable TL Length /CSA:s, this for an enclosure with no stuffing at all but in reality must be added to most quarter-wave designs to behave well.

So if you understand how to enter Driver TS data into HR and by the use of the built in 'Wizard' it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to estimate a box that you can build and stuff with confidence ,now using the MJK instructions.

I put the data into HR for your 8" driver and designed a T-TQWT + an OD-TL and more.. See the second picture...

Hello,
And thank you for taking so many efforts for me. Yes its the same woofer.
Regarding MJK Alignment tables, I intend to Understand the theory and formulas given in the alignment tables.
So I can work on them Myself.

I read some articles and came to conclude 2sd for closed end and 1sd for open end and length of 63" straight line, Can you check if correct
T / S parameters are
Size-5.25"
Fs-55.67
Re-3.44 Ohms.
Qms-15.38
Qes-0.39
Qts-0.38
Vas-12.066
Mms-8.59
Cms-950.91
Bl-5.13
Spl-92.739
Sd-95 Sq.Cm

Attachments

• MJK-1.jpg
    MJK-1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 40
  • MJK-2.jpg
    MJK-2.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 37
  • MJK-3.jpg
    MJK-3.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hello,
And thank you for taking so many efforts for me. Yes its the same woofer.
Regarding MJK Alignment tables, I intend to Understand the theory and formulas given in the alignment tables.
So I can work on them Myself.

I read some articles and came to conclude 2sd for closed end and 1sd for open end and length of 63" straight line, Can you check if correct
T / S parameters are
Size-5.25"
Fs-55.67
Re-3.44 Ohms.
Qms-15.38
Qes-0.39
Qts-0.38
Vas-12.066
Mms-8.59
Cms-950.91
Bl-5.13
Spl-92.739
Sd-95 Sq.Cm

I will check your driver data and outlined TL earliest tonight as I'm busy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.