Help which IC for Gainclone Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys
My first time in hear with gainclone amps I must say that I am a bit unsure of IC amps as to there sound quality But after look at the gainclone threds I have desided to have a go and build one But what IC should I go for As my speakers are 96db at 1w 6 ohms would like about 25 to 30 watts from the amp
ML1875N
LM3875T
TDA2050V

Thank’s Colin

Colin,
I recommend you use the LM3875T as that will guve you a little more power and you might eventually use the amp with other, less efficient speakers. It is a very simple IC without the mute/standby features and doesn't require very much heatsinking. Read through the "Not just another Gainclone thread" for the recommendations. The attributes are posted pretty extensively. :nod: Good luck.

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the reply and WOW! did you ever answer my question. THANKS! I wish everyone would answer as completely and simply as this. I had considered building one of these in 1997 but couldn't get the chips I wanted yet. I wanted to build one for computer speakers and subwoofer so there would have been 3 chips in the unit all rated at 100W each! I repair pro audio for my work so I see all kinds of "gain clone" technology as most small guitar power amps use chips these days.;)

Chris

Which IC LM3876 or Lm3876

Hi All I would like to know the differences of the LM3875 IC and LM3876 for gain clone amps which would be the best one to buy for say peters circuit as this seems to be the most discussed. Amp on Hear so must be the best one to build I guess What PSU should I use for my Speakers spec 89db 1w 6 ohms and what heat sink is recommended
Thanks
Colin

The two ICs are basically the same except the LM3876 has a mute feature which requires power to turn off. My understanding is this feature also degrades the sound quality of the chip. Between the two, I recommend the LM3875. Easier to use and sounds better. :). a power supply from 120-225VA transformers, around 18-24V secondaries will work fine. Beyond that and the schematic there isn't much to it. My prototype uses only 3/16" thick 3"x4" aluminum plate per IC and they never got hot. If you want to get fancy, go back through the Gainclone threads and read the recommendations and findings others have posted. Once you build it, you can put different values and brands of components in and find something that sounds the way you want. No worries!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.