HELP: QUAD FM4 Tuner Background Noise/High Pitch Hiss

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Absolutely correct, which is why I think changing those caps has effected the IF filter.

Those caps are not part of the tuned circuits... sorry. Your description of it is fine, but these are not those critical parts.

The 10.7 MHz filter is located at the input to the chip (probably a ceramic type filter) and the IF amplifier is critically tuned via the components connected to pins 9 and 10.

Woah, quad fm4 tuner noise problem solved. Culprit was C11 and C12 capacitors. Seems like quad specifically chose some caps that suit its purpose, dadaelectronic has another guy change these caps to Nichicon bipolar cause high pitch hiss. Swap back these two old caps, I'm getting dead clean stereo sound without a hiss!!

I'm damn lucky !!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I wouldn't think matched. A perfect 100uf cap is going to remove all high frequency hash on that line from the opamp. A cap with significant E.S.R. won't.

What is odd is how the backup battery is returned to that line.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 115
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Why recapping them could cause the high pitch noise..
My guess would be that the caps had high self inductance at hf that limited their effectiveness. Bypassing them with a 0.1uf and series 1 ohm might have done the trick.

Edit... its actually quite interesting to have a real world example of where a supposed new and better part causes a problem and just goes to show that sometimes blanket re-caps and "upgrading" of parts should be done with care.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Well you can never have to much signal (up to a point). If the stations you listen to really do have a silent interference free background on the aerial you use now, then you can't make that any better. Only you can answer this one I'm afraid.

My guess would be that the caps had high self inductance at hf that limited their effectiveness. Bypassing them with a 0.1uf and series 1 ohm might have done the trick.

Edit... its actually quite interesting to have a real world example of where a supposed new and better part causes a problem and just goes to show that sometimes blanket re-caps and "upgrading" of parts should be done with care.
Some opamps tend to oscillate at capacitive loading. This might have happened with the TL094 and the signal modulated RefL that caused FM modulation of the local osc - all this due to too good capacitors... Probably a series 47R resistor at IC5 pin1 output could have also prevented it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Some opamps tend to oscillate at capacitive loading. This might have happened with the TL094 and the signal modulated RefL that caused FM modulation of the local osc - all this due to too good capacitors... Probably a series 47R resistor at IC5 pin1 output could have also prevented it.

Good point. Yes it could have been something like at work too.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The "better" an aerial (the more elements it has) then the more directional it becomes. If you are in a building with lots of walls either side of you, then maybe you are getting lots of reflections of the signal.

If you have found something that works OK for you then stick to it.

What an excellent thread.
I had this issue occur with an FM4 I'd recently serviced and have been scratching my head for the cause. The TL094 does indeed require a capacitor to ground with some appreciable ESR, unlike the Panasonic FC I'd fitted.

You can use a slightly lossy bi-polar, or as in my case a tantalum works perfectly in this position. There's about 1.8v dc across C11 and 6v across C12. A 10v tantalum is therefore recommended.

I'm glad that this thread helps to pinpoint and resolve your issue. I noticed that Quad has different sub board fitted to replace a diode near C11.

One look like this
201104011350121308.jpg

The other one looks like this:
IMG_9663_zps161b4614.jpg

From what I gathered, the board is meant to increase stability of tuning.

I'm having my third FM4 shipping from the UK. It's very late production model with orange color Quad wording and Q038xxx serial, probably the last few before it gets discontinued.

Wondering if there's any circuit changes with later version, lets see.