help on headphone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Keep it simple

I must confess that I am predisposed to like simple designs. If a simple amplifier also sounds good, I probably want it. Usually, if a more complex design is the only known way for significant improvement, then I will choose the more complex one.

On the other hand: If a triodised EL95 can give you about 1 W output then I am quite sure that a half of ECC83 can give 50 mW as well. If the headphone's sensitivity is about 100 dB / 1 mW then you have enough reserve for 117 dB. Do you need more?

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
For a linestage; yes, those values should work well.

However for a headphone amp, if the headphones are low impedance (30 R), then you may need R8 to be 100 k. The reason is that output impedance forms a voltage divider with the load, meaning that the gain must go (back) up to compensate.

Perhaps best is to make R8 variable from 47 k to 100 k.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for your help!:)

For a linestage; yes, those values should work well.

However for a headphone amp, if the headphones are low impedance (30 R), then you may need R8 to be 100 k. The reason is that output impedance forms a voltage divider with the load, meaning that the gain must go (back) up to compensate.

Perhaps best is to make R8 variable from 47 k to 100 k.

Good luck with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.