• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help! no power, im lost

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Iain McNeill said:
something very basic is wrong. you should see at least 115VAC. 60VAC sounds more like electric field coupling into the meter. Somethings open circuit here.

I notice there's a long protrusion on the L terminal of your IEC connector. Could it be another fuse?

its a fuse holder!!

i am an idiot

can i run 2 fuses?
or do i have to take the inline out?

this is weird though..... there is an opening for a fuse in the EIC, but it would have to be for a power cord with a fuse.

when i ordered the parts, it said it could be used with or without the fuse holder.

so i am using it with a regular power cord, is it not completing the circuit??

usually, something in the IEC has to be pulled out using a tool (small flat blade screwdriver gets my vote) with the mains cord disconnected. This provides your basic safety requirements.

Don't know what you mean "but it would have to be for a power cord with a fuse."

Looking into the IEC connector from outside the case, there's three pins right? Can you check continuity between these pins and their corresponding terminals inside the unit?

If there's no continuity on the live pin then you gotta work out how to get into the fuse holder.

Can you post the part number from where you bought it? Or even the web page?

tubesandmore.com

part number p-sp2-500

i have continuity throughout. should be showing "0" ohms correct?

this would mean that I have no need for a fuse to be in there because the circuit is already being completed. I can see that there is a bridge around the would be fuse location now that I look closely.

so back to square one

Continuity on all three pins. The plot thickens.

OK, systematically.

Stick your meter probes in the holes of the mains cord IEC connector (carefully:) ) and make sure there's 120VAC coming out of the cable, You may have to wiggle around to make contact.

Plug the cable into the IEC connector. Check there's 120VAC coming out of the IEC connector inside the amp.

Finally check that there's 120VAC across the black transformer wires (you'll move one probe)

If you have 120VAC on the transformer then .........

I'm thinking you're using a standard power cord with an IEC connector that only mates with this "special" Marshall (TM) cord S-W123 or S-W124. See how the cords get a special mention in the catalog:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/cemirror/AES07-017.pdf

The standard cord doesn't make connection with your IEC. You'll have to buy one of their Marshall (TM) replacement cords....

...or replace the IEC

found it!

there was no voltage flowing through the "extension" on the EIC. It must have to have the fuse to complete the circuit.
I clipped the lead running to fuse holder to bypass it and she fired right up!!

beautiful glow of tubes and sounds good too.

now on to build the second one!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

Good

Good work... I thought that connector looked odd.
Please dont forget your voltage Hygeine re the grommetts on the chassis. I still dont like those crimp connectors.. I dont know what others think of them but if a loose live wire ever hit the chassis, earth or no earth, there will be tears before bedtime.
Good luck with your other projects
Nick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Good

duderduderini said:
Good work... I thought that connector looked odd.
Please dont forget your voltage Hygeine re the grommetts on the chassis. I still dont like those crimp connectors.. I dont know what others think of them but if a loose live wire ever hit the chassis, earth or no earth, there will be tears before bedtime.
Good luck with your other projects
Nick

I couldn't agree more with duderduderini, don't use them in the second amplifier, and in this one at least in the case of the output transformer, but preferably all - redo the connections as soldered wires insulated with a couple of layers of heat-shrink tubing. Add those grommets when you get rid of the butt connectors.

Re: Re: Good

kevinkr said:

I couldn't agree more with duderduderini, don't use them in the second amplifier, and in this one at least in the case of the output transformer, but preferably all - redo the connections as soldered wires insulated with a couple of layers of heat-shrink tubing. Add those grommets when you get rid of the butt connectors.

The crimped connectors were just temporary until I knew that it worked. I will be redoing the connections as well as permanently mounting the RCA plug, and also picking up the grommets.

There are a couple cosmetic things left and then its DONE. The second amp should go much smoother and I definately learned from some mistakes.

All and all it went well for my first build, and I will post pics of the finished product

thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.