Help needed with new subsonic design, trial pics enclosed....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a series of 16-20Hz pulses, like heart beats, perhaps 1- 2 seconds long each, with a quick attack and a fast decay of around 2 seconds, the pulses spaced 8 seconds apart ... the output does not need to be particularly musical.

Sounds like you need a large drum. What about timpani or regular bass drum. Tune the skin to the tone you want, add damping for the decay (a drummer friend of mine uses Gorilla Snot???) and automate a hitting device like one of these :smash:

You could automate a damper too if a fixed one wasn't good enough.

Don't know, but I suspect it would be easier and cheaper than trying to do it with speakers.

HTH,
Bri.

Yes - you may be right - speakers may be only be necessary to bring in musical fill....
I am also going to research what sort of air pump it would take to power a 16Hz stopped pipe like from a pipe organ. Just to try every possible avenue!
But still needing to get two speakers and a delay/frequency control for them and see what I can set up in room too.
Thanks for your suggestion - A mechanical hitter would be quite fun! Triggered from the computer - not too hard....

How about a few industrial motors driving through an eccentric shaft one or more large panels. Let the motors accelerate very fast to 16 hz (960 rpm), run 2 seconds and stop again.

I think this would be an easy way to create a huge displacement. It won't be musical offcourse.

I agree with others in the single word opening comment... interesting.

Lots of good ideas, but mine has always been the simple approach.

I would consider building 8 small sealed enclosures, each with dual opposed 15" drivers. I would build the baffles/caps with recesses on the top caps that would receive the feet of the next sub that would be stacked upon the first sub. Two stacks of 4 subs each.

Using your 50mm form tube, cut to around 460mm long. Small and easy to transport. I would build a portable corner to assure the same placement of the 2 stacks of subs, that could be assembled in place.

As an example of a 15" driver that does pretty well in a small space, Acoustic Elegance's AV15H, which I just used to build a pair of similar type subs, can be had for $199 each in such a quantity. Add the cost of 2 pro amps rated at 5KW each into 8 ohms, bridged (one for each stack), and add for the MDF and form tube, you should be right at $5K.

A quick mock-up:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If the constructed corner is sufficiently rigid, the end result should be quite high output in the 16-20Hz range. The subs, being relatively small, could be sold as individual HT subwoofers after the tour, as they would each do nicely in an average room.

Bosso

Bosso,

Your suggestion sounds like it solves many issues (even selling it off afterwards....)

Several things have become obvious - the low frequencies need to be contained in any way as much as possible (I know that this is impossible with low frequencies, but a cardioid setup with a peak in the middle of the room is very enticing to try....), and that musicality in the 16-20Hz region is not that important (it can be supplemented by more musical tones above, of a lesser volume). Physical effect is important pure brute displacement.

I am looking at all of these posts again tomorrow and will have a good long think about it all in terms of what I really want for an effect.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions - it has not only provided possible solutions, but made me think about what it is that I really need.
Very much appreciated!
Sean.

Consider this folded horn as you already have the correct driver for it: Tuba HT

Small rooms are the easiest to fill with deep, loud bass due to a wonderful thing called cabin gain. Maybe.. don't know.. bring a portable room to install your project into such as those recording studios use called a 'Whisper Room'. Less demands on speakers will be needed and performance of the system will be consistent from one install to the next.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think the off-the-wall solutions may be best, like an organ pipe, if you're really committed to generating ultra low frequencies. Possibly something involving exploding gases. The people at Survival Research Laboratories should have some ideas.

Bag End subwoofers, in large quantities, are capable of single digit output. But, any sufficiently large quantity of sealed or infinite baffle drivers with appropriate EQ and limiting would do the same. It's slightly possible that some manufacturer might be willing to sponsor or lend some demo drivers, or seconds or something. Directionality is probably impossible at those frequencies... I assume that the necessary distances will be related to the wavelength, and that's over 100 feet.

But, before getting too carried away, it would be prudent to sit down in a studio, car, or other environment equipped for deep bass reproduction and use a synthesizer to experiment with waveforms. A thump in the 30 to 40 Hz range may be all you really need, and won't require extreme measures to generate.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.