Help needed! strange sound from nmos quasi amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i recently assembled one channel of nmos500 quasi mosfet (irfp240 x 10) amp.
http://www.adam.com.au/cgpap/QuasiWeb/pdf's/Nnmos350-500 schematic.pdf

rail voltage +- 80 v,dc at speaker outlet 0.03 volt.

there is one strange problem .at very low volume the sound in speaker is clear,but as i try to increase the volume there is a repeating loud thump sound in the speaker & it's frequency increases with the increase in volume.

when i switch off the amplifier & the supply voltage starts collapsing ,then at some point the thump noise vanishes while i could hear the music clearly.

one more thing , while checking the bias current the probe of multimeter slipped and accidentaly shorted the drain & source of one mosfet at positive rail side.(before i hooked up the speaker).
can somebody tell what might be wrong ? i did not installed R35,C12,C5,C6 component.will installing these compoents solve my problem?

tomorrow i will change the drivers and capacitors on the pcb.Is there anything else which i should look for ? help me guys

That sounds like 'motorboating'

* Positive feedback instead of negative feedback i.e. usually caused by the Output Transformer secondary being wired the wrong way around and often determined by experiment/accident.
* Poor de-coupling capacitors, generally not enough capacity or have "dried out" over a long period thereby reducing capacity.

* Excessive interstage coupling capacity .
* Incipient instability, where the amplifier goes into motorboating after a large transient like a bass drum.

hope that helps..
OS

Hi,
try putting back the output Thiele network.
Add 4r7 // to the 4uH inductor.
Change C5 and C6 to 100uF low ESR 100V electrolytic.

Measure the voltage across R2 while this is happening/not happening.
What is the RC of the PSU? RC = speaker ohms * smoothing capacitance (F)
The input RC = 1*10^-6 * 33k = 33*10^-3 seconds, i.e. 33ms.
The NFB RC = 100ms.
Changing C7 to 47uF will be far cheaper than adding extra smoothing capacitance.

Finally consider adding a third part to the output Thiele Network. 5r6+47nF across the speaker terminals.

The three parts give an effective 5r load at very high frequency and have almost no effect (very high impedance) at audio frequencies.

i am so sorry guys,that was my mistake :guilty: :guilty:

i did not biased(set vr2) properly,thats why i wasn't getting any bias current.i didn't knew that for mosfet Vgs is arond 4v. :shy:

Only when i saw the datasheets, i realised where i was wrong.i increased the Vgs & guess what, thumping noise vanished. :D

i am working with mosfet for the first time.Six months earlier i didn't even knew ,what is a bias current! :scratch:

i want to add zobel network but i'm having difficulty in finding 0.068uf cap. :(

This is my second amplifier.All thanks to you guys & Rode.:worship: :worship:
:cheers:

i recently assembled one channel of nmos500 quasi mosfet (irfp240 x 10) amp.
http://www.adam.com.au/cgpap/QuasiWeb/pdf's/Nnmos350-500 schematic.pdf

rail voltage +- 80 v,dc at speaker outlet 0.03 volt.

there is one strange problem .at very low volume the sound in speaker is clear,but as i try to increase the volume there is a repeating loud thump sound in the speaker & it's frequency increases with the increase in volume.

when i switch off the amplifier & the supply voltage starts collapsing ,then at some point the thump noise vanishes while i could hear the music clearly.

one more thing , while checking the bias current the probe of multimeter slipped and accidentaly shorted the drain & source of one mosfet at positive rail side.(before i hooked up the speaker).
can somebody tell what might be wrong ? i did not installed R35,C12,C5,C6 component.will installing these compoents solve my problem?

tomorrow i will change the drivers and capacitors on the pcb.Is there anything else which i should look for ? help me guys

dear sanju,
the site above u have mentioned is not opening can you share this amplifier details with me .this type of another circuit discription i have there are seven mosfet irfp240 in each channel http://www.adam.com.au/cgpap/QuasiWeb/pdf's/Nnmos350-500 schematic.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.