• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me to think of name for a tube amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The first amp I ever saw with a name was a 75-watt mono beast using PP 6146's for the output. It was in a Radio-TV Experimenter magazine. It was called the "Leasebreaker".

Since it is just an amplifier with no digital audio processing, you could call it "Brainless Stainless".

Hector Gonzales said:
So I want you to help me with the name for the project. It can be a phrase or a single word, or a short sentence. Several word about amlifier. It will be big and heavy (25"X 30" or 70X76cm) stainless steel chasis and wooden case. Its almost finished, but I want to print its name on stainless chasis with laser.

I think it would be best if the name were NOT an English word. Something that meant "very large" or even "comically over sized" (after all 25"X 30" is almost the size of some model railroad layouts.)

Truly, I think you'd be best off with a word that is obscure (old, no longer in use) in your own language that means "large". After all this amp is large and uses technology (valves) from the past. This wold describe you amp perfectly as being large, from the past and made in your part of the world.

Some over used words that describe giants from the past that have come into common English are "Titan" "Goliath", "Colossus" but these are over used

Re: Re: Help me to think of name for a tube amplifier

ChrisA said:

I think it would be best if the name were NOT an English word. Something that meant "very large" or even "comically over sized" (after all 25"X 30" is almost the size of some model railroad layouts.)

Truly, I think you'd be best off with a word that is obscure (old, no longer in use) in your own language that means "large". After all this amp is large and uses technology (valves) from the past. This wold describe you amp perfectly as being large, from the past and made in your part of the world.

Some over used words that describe giants from the past that have come into common English are "Titan" "Goliath", "Colossus" but these are over used

How about Roman hyperbole from the movie, "A funny thing happened on the way to the forum". Biggus Dickus!

"Global Warming" + the tube name

like GW 300B... is my proposal.

Mythological and geographical names are audio or car manufacturers' general solution, you may think that way, too.

Cappadoccia, Talia, Samson, Troia, etc. some examples from around here.

Hermes, Hera, Titan, etc. from mythology.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.