Help me pick the best drivers for my hybrid esl?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Again,Calvin for your Expertise !

I had it in my mind of trying to get down to 20Hz.
But, I was realizing that this just wasn't going to happen with the 6.5" drivers.
But 8 or 6 of them in a line array should work very well from 50Hz to 80Hz on up to the crossover point of the panels.

I remember that my open box 6 X 6.5" worked very well in that range.

It was when I was setup to do recording and I had ran all kinds of sounds through them and drums especially were very clean and punchy with a good snap when it was there.
I had used them mainly as the top end for my Bass Guitar rig with no crossover and everybody whom has ever played on them was impressed with how well they had performed.
He,he,he Their jaws dropped when I told them that the were Radio Shack drivers !!!

Actually that box got stolen as well and I have always wanted to build another one becuase it sound so good!
I never got the chance to build a second one for stereo but it was my plan.

Yes, that second 10" that I had post doesn't work with the stated parameters in Winlsd comes up with a box volume that has a volume number that is negative.

Go Figure?

I am tempted to call them and find out whats up, as I had before questioning why their data sheet was different than their suppliers data sheet,Namely it was a Dayton driver and they finally got around to fixing it.

I am still tempted to get 8 or 16 of those first 10's to add to my system in closed boxes though.
But I am undecided for now .

Gotta Love R&D !!!

:cheers:

Jer :)

I never got my hands on any of them yet.

But 4 to 8 of them seem to model well in a closed box,
For the price I was gonna get like 20 of them and use like 8 per side and save 4 of them as replacements for two of my other cabinets.

Only I don't need any at the moment except I am looking for a pair of cheap 12's as one of my 4 gave out.
It was so loud that I didn't even notice it when it happened. :)

jer :)

Hi,

a Fs of 48Hz for a "HiFi" 12" driver? A Qts factor of 2.5??
A dipole mounting is quite tolerant against elevated Qts, but we are still talking of values of 1 or less. Increased values of Q might even render the electronic bass lift obsolete, but the sound becomes increasingly more soft and imprecise.
The second possible casing could be a flow-resistance loaded CB, like the older Dynaudio Variovents. But the mechanical Qm of the 299-283 is low already, so this won´t help much in reducing the overall Qts (the Qm needed to come down to 1.5 or less).

jauu
Calvin

Yes,there is something wrong with the published data on the 299-283 driver.
For the modeling that I did I used the specs from the 299-284 driver and it was available at the time.

To me they look very much like that they are the same with little diffrences.
But you can't judge a book by its cover nor can you go by the published specs for the 299-283 driver either as thet appear to be wrong and don't work in Winlsd.
I modeled the 284 driver as an IB and closed box range .75cu ft. to 1.2cu ft. per driver and came up with some impressive SPL's and a good looking curve.

I will search my archives for the files and if I can't find them I will do another set of sims and post them for you or you can try them in Winisd as well using the data that I used.

I was going build 4 cabinets with 4 drivers so that they would be easier to move around and have a stack in each corner of my room.

Remember that these are cheapy's so don't expect a lot but the price is right!

The 299-284's look a lot like the 10's that I do have and the FR chart is the bottom one in the first set of charts in post #2 as measured facing the corner as I have it now.

All of those charts are of the same system although I didn't take the time to label them as too the measurement positions.

The first chart is of just the 10's though, in the corner with the microphone in three positions Ceiling, Middle and Floor.
Th middle one shows a notch at about 250Hz and this correspondes to the distance of the ceiling to the top of cabinet of about 4 feet.

The 8" sub box that you see on the floor is normally placed behind the top 12" cabinet facing the corner with the dual 10"s.

I get about 110db with this system at my listening position at about 12' to 15' away from the stack in a 18' X 11' X 8' room.
And it is clean sounding as well.

jer :)

Attachments

• just rebuilt.jpg
    just rebuilt.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 95
  • stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.