• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help me decide,headphone amp - parafeed or normal tx ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You make it sound as if that was a bad thing. You're using two active devices to load each output tube as it is (4 total), simple series "capacitance multiplier" type of regulator would only take one device and shunt circuit to deal with AC distortion one or two more.

here is a first draft... anything wrong here?

ps caps will be film (probably obbligato oils), parafeed cap will be something very nice.

Looks about right to me. I'd use 10R plate and cathode stoppers and put a small film cap at the drain of the upper fet to keep the CCS stable. Also, a regulator before the CCS is helpful. Operating point you'll have to play around with.

Also just forget DHT unless you want to pay for the tent supplies.>>

Well, first of all nothing has the delicacy and tone of a DHT, and second nobody needs to use Tent filament supplies. The Ronan Reg uses humble LM1084s and even better is just a choke input supply using a Hammond choke. If you really want the sound this is still the way to go!

Andy

My latest, still on the breadboard...

Even with small vintage Grundig OPT's sounds gorgeous, very detailed and fast... brings you very close to the music. Custom made output transformers arrived today ;)

The whole thing eventually will end up like this:

Building a similar amp only different output tube, on your 3D image I'm not seeing a heatsink, I think you're going to need big heatsink for those mofset.

I think you're going to need big heatsink for those mofset.

It's playing for 30 some hours now... heatsinks are big enough. Only the mains transformer (potted toroid) and the tubes will sit on top, all the rest is hanging underneath. ;)

Attachments

• C3G_sm.jpg
    C3G_sm.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 377
It's playing for 30 some hours now... heatsinks are big enough. Only the mains transformer (potted toroid) and the tubes will sit on top, all the rest is hanging underneath. ;)

Thanks for the picture, our amps will be such similar topology. But looks like you are using only one shunt supply? I was planning on one per channel as I thought I read there would be instability supplying 2 channel with one reg, would be a much less complicated build with one Salas reg.

regal,
there is absolutely no issue with supplying both channels with one Salas reg.
My Aikido (parafeed btw) is also fed by a Salas reg and performing beautifully for almost a year now. Compared to the previous psu which was CRC soundstage with even one reg has improved considerably. I don't really understand why but now noticed the same with my C3G-spud pictured above.

As for the question parafeed or SE... I couldn't tell a favourite. In a tube amp there are so many variables that the choice of output topology is just one of many... for sure I prefer transformers over anything OTL now... ;)

Hello,
The power supply is a important piece of the amplifier. The higher the impedance of the power supply the more the voltage dances with the music. The impedance converts current to voltage. The voltage change is audible.
I have been using a TubeCad PS-2 Solo to power a SET headphone amplifier. The PS-2 is a huge improvement over the CLC approach. Plus there is no hum or buzz.
Next is to try a Salas HV shunt regulator. However the shunt will require a transformer with a much greater VA rating. Shunts use 3 to 4 times more amps.
DT
All just for fun!

Last edited:
Shunts use 3 to 4 times more amps.

This is only true for crappy designs that employ brute force approach rather than considering the problem. There is no point in burning multiple times the DC current. What a decent shunt regulator does is that it eliminates (= burns) any AC riding on top of DC. DC can be obtained at considerably lower 'cost' in energy by series regulation but superimposed AC cannot be avoided due to nonlinear consumption of device, nonideal conductors and so on.

I am pretty sure one of the linear IC manufacturers has a very good appnote posted on this subject (Linear or Analog ? I'm 95% certain it is one of these two).

This is only true for crappy designs that employ brute force approach rather than considering the problem. There is no point in burning multiple times the DC current. What a decent shunt regulator does is that it eliminates (= burns) any AC riding on top of DC. DC can be obtained at considerably lower 'cost' in energy by series regulation but superimposed AC cannot be avoided due to nonlinear consumption of device, nonideal conductors and so on.

I am pretty sure one of the linear IC manufacturers has a very good appnote posted on this subject (Linear or Analog ? I'm 95% certain it is one of these two).

Hello,
Please tell me where I go south. I do this for fun; it is not my day job.
Voltage regulators are voltage dividers. Series regulators adjust the top resistor. Shunt regulators adjust the bottom resistor. Shunt regulators can maintain better regulated cleaner voltage than a series regulator because they can shunt more current to ground. Reduce the current in the shunt and the quality of the regulator is reduced, there is a trade off. Perhaps there is a balance point between green and good enough.
I will put one together and play with it.
DT
All just for fun!

I now have most bits, jack got the transformers done quickly, and they look superb.

Does anyone have any recommendations of wire for the power umbilical. Could i get away with mulitcore (16 gauge) , or would you advice multiple single cores with a large gauge for the ground?

I am going with these connectors as they seem good value. going 5 way, B+, G, DC Heater x2 + spare (just incase...)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.