Help in choosing a potentiometer as a "Passive preamplifier"

Well, half way the pot measures..... half. It's linear not log.
I don't remember the source but likely it was digital.

This particular combination is the very worst case. Add a resistor to ground from each wiper.
The resistor's value should be about 10% of the pot's total value. This will do until you find
a better volume pot. It is called "law faking", and actually works pretty well, since linear pots
track much better than log pots. Use 1% resistors if possible.

Last edited:
Last edited:
but I want more click stops at low volume, don't I get that with a linear pot ?
and if so, a log version of the Nobel will be worse than the linear I have.

Nope, a log pot gives way more clicks at low volumes.
Remember, a linear pot at the center of rotation is only -6dB.
A log pot at the center is about -20dB.

So below halfway in a pot that turns 270 degrees, there is
much more adjustment capability (135 degrees) below -20dB
than for a linear pot (27 degrees) for the same amount of attenuation.
So it's about five times easier to adjust with a log pot at low volumes,
than with a linear pot.

Last edited:
In your system, there should be no problem at all with the usual 10k pot value.
Unless there's a problem elsewhere (acoustics, etc.), the channel balance will be
rock-stable centered throughout the entire range of the volume control.
Remember that the body of the control is intended to be grounded via the
mounting on the panel.
Thanks. Will definitely give it a go. 3 weeks is no big deal.
Why do you say 10k though, and why "usual"? Like I said, the stock pot in the amp is 50k and I'm only replacing it here - I'm strongly inclined to keep it the same value (as I'm happy with it otherwise) unless there's an explicit reason to reduce it with no potential downsides.

I'll wait for your reply, but I'm tempted to get the 50k (first) either way so I can have a variable-free comparison between the stock pot and an individual-resistor'd stepper for future reference. That way if there's any audible change other than improved balance I'll know why.

RE: Grounding, you mean the metal body is connected to the two signal ground terminals?

your initial description led me completely down the wrong path. Just carry on.
No worries. I wouldn't have even known enough to suspect a misunderstanding if I hadn't spent a while reading old posts of yours (and others) on here previously.

Joined 2011
I'm tempted to get the 50k (first) either way so I can have a variable-free comparison
between the stock pot and an individual-resistor'd stepper for future reference.

Checking back, it seems that the 50k amp input impedance includes the 50k pot, so yes,
using a 50k replacement pot should be fine.

It's best if the pot is mounted on a metal panel that grounds its case. If the panel is not conductive,
then there should be a separate ground connection to its case. This is true for any control that has
a metal housing.

Last edited:
it seems that the 50k amp input impedance includes the 50k pot, so yes, using a 50k replacement pot should be fine.

It's best if the pot is mounted on a metal panel that grounds its case.

Ordered it.
Stock mounting panel is metal, all good. Will update later on how it goes. I am slightly concerned about the granularity too but will cross that bridge (with added series resistance) if I come to it.

Thanks again for sharing.

ah, so it's possible to get stepped attenuators with more positions. It seems they are also available in super-duper-cool looking too

Attachments

• stereo.jpg
    stereo.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 610
24 stepper is expensive if not a cheapo from the Far East.
more than 33steps is very expensive.

Have you looked at the AIKIDO FP from the TubeCAD blog.
https://www.tubecad.com/2006/03/blog0057.htm
The resistor values in the first stage are wrong, but all of them can be changed to give the step values you require.
I set mine up for 2dB steps over the range from -0dB to -70dB
but you could do 1dB steps 0 to -35dB, or 1.5dB steps 0 to -52.5dB

Last edited:
i read the original post with great interest but have to admit that i did not really understand every detail.

what i'm trying to figure out is, wich volume pot would be best to go "in between" a phono pre amp and an lm3886dr amp. i do understand that a pot with a higher value will possibly introduce more noise and that a pot with a lower value will put more load on the source, but what exactly does "load on the source" mean? and how much load is desirable? what happens if the load is too great and how do i measure the load?

loads of questions, i know ....

i should add that i currently use a 50k pot and it seems to do fine .... but i don't have anything to compare it with at the moment.