Help for 3 or 4 way loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After giving this a little more thought, here's what I think.

The purpose of the bracing is to stop cabinet panel vibrations. To do this it needs to be stiff and for a bass cab, it needs to be extensive enough to divide the panels into small enough areas so that their resonant frequencies are higher than the frequencies used in the cab, ie higher than 300Hz and probably its 1st harmonic too, 600Hz.

Given the size of your bottom cab (large) and the amount of bracing you have drawn, my thinking is that the bracing will be neither stiff enough with 10mm nor the panel frequencies high enough. However, instead of just increasing the thickness of the bracing for added stiffness but no change to panel resonance frequencies, it might be a better idea to still use 10mm but add more bracing (like B&W) so now the bracing will be stiffer and the panel resonance frequencies will also be raised. This should be a better solution.

But copy the B&W design - 2 panels front to back and maybe another 2 or 3 horizontal panels. No vertical panels that go from side to side. Adjust cab depth to keep the same net volume and maybe increase the hole sizing in the bracing to do the same.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
After giving this a little more thought, here's what I think.

The purpose of the bracing is to stop cabinet panel vibrations. To do this it needs to be stiff and for a bass cab, it needs to be extensive enough to divide the panels into small enough areas so that their resonant frequencies are higher than the frequencies used in the cab, ie higher than 300Hz and probably its 1st harmonic too, 600Hz.

Given the size of your bottom cab (large) and the amount of bracing you have drawn, my thinking is that the bracing will be neither stiff enough with 10mm nor the panel frequencies high enough. However, instead of just increasing the thickness of the bracing for added stiffness but no change to panel resonance frequencies, it might be a better idea to still use 10mm but add more bracing (like B&W) so now the bracing will be stiffer and the panel resonance frequencies will also be raised. This should be a better solution.

But copy the B&W design - 2 panels front to back and maybe another 2 or 3 horizontal panels. No vertical panels that go from side to side. Adjust cab depth to keep the same net volume and maybe increase the hole sizing in the bracing to do the same.

Thanks, what about the new bracing volume value?

TIA
Felipe

I can't give you an accurate estimate without knowing exactly how many bracing panels you're going to use, the number and size of the cut-outs and the new internal cab dimensions.

However, roughly, with 2 vertical and 5 or 6 horizontal panels (all 10mm) I think you're looking at about 6L. Roughly. That means your total internal volume should be somewhere around 75 + 1 + 1.5 + 6 = 83.5L, or 32 x 68 x 39cm. Roughly.

You need to sit down, study the B&W bracing and draw something out that works for you. Then do the calculations and fine tune if necessary.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You're confusing me now. On page 6 you show a different cabinet depth than 58.5cm. Very different.

Also, I forgot to ask - what is your listening distance to the front of your speakers?

Please read in the same post of image: "Dimensions aren't correct, the image it's only to ilustrate what I want to make." I'm sorry to confuse you.

Aprox. 1,5 meters.

Last edited:
Felipe,

In order to do correct simulations, I need to have an accurate layout of your speakers and listening position and even your room. The language thing might be a problem here but I'm afraid that I've just completed a load of simulations with incorrect data.

Can you please post a diagram of the front baffle for your completed speaker including all driver positioning and cabinet dimensions when you are able.

Thanks

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, it depends........

How low do you want the speakers to go?

How likely is it that you will be able to use them in a bigger room some time in the future?

And if not, how useful is it to you to sacrifice some low frequency extension for something like 15 to 20cm less depth?

Can you make them a little taller too?

Can I listen 20Hz at 1,5 meters from the loudspeaker?

No I can't have a bigger room in the future.

I only can sacrifice low frecuency extension if I can listen at 1,5 meters.

I'm open to suggestions.

Arrived the woofers:)

Attachments

• DSC00349_mini.jpg
    DSC00349_mini.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00350_mini.jpg
    DSC00350_mini.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00351_mini.jpg
    DSC00351_mini.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00352_mini.jpg
    DSC00352_mini.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00353_mini.jpg
    DSC00353_mini.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00354_mini.jpg
    DSC00354_mini.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00355_mini.jpg
    DSC00355_mini.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 47
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.