• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help CCS for 1.33mA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Might work OK even with current that low. You could try 4mA and a cathode resistor of about 625 (pick a standard resistor value close to this - doesn't need to be exact). Look at the 80V graph line on the plate curve graph. You can see that you can't go much higher than about 5mA and still have enough grid swing at 80V. You can approximate the grid potential (-cathode voltage) between the labeled lines.

I made some simulations and noticed that the overall linearity of the complete amplifier is better with an anode resistor than with a CCS.
The reason is, that the distortion produced by 6SN7 /7N7 will cancel some of the distortion generated at the 6N13S / 6080.
With the CCS the THD is some 0.5...0.6 %, with anode resistor only some 0.2 %.

Attached is my version. I added a voltage divider R3 and R31 to get the operating poin of 6SN7 better, to reduce some gain and to form better operating point for the output tube as well. The frequency response (-1 dB) is some 50...100 kHz.

The operating data is on the schematic.

Attachments

• 6N13S_kuuloke.gif
    6N13S_kuuloke.gif
    114.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Sheldon what do you think is better objective & subjective for 300 ohms headphones: the ECC88 front end or the 7N7 front end?

I have no idea, but I wouldn't expect a night and day difference. If you plan on doing some tube rolling, I wouldn't use a local socket, as there aren't as many choices here. There are lots of 9pin tubes, including an exact replacement for a 6SN7 (6CG7).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.