Help-AC input connected directly to case!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
You need a decent ground reference for troubleshooting....either a proper earth ground at your workbench (direct connection to good ground rod) or (better) a connection to the ground of your AC house supply.
'Cheater' plugs assume that the wall box is grounded and connect to the faceplate screw...so that is one place to look.

With 'modern' plumbing, it's not a sure thing that you can get an earth ground from a plumbing connection - too many ways that you can get a plastic 'break' in the line, IMO.

I could use the "third wire" connection in the outlet above my "workbench" (which much to my wife's chagrin doubles as the kitchen counter), for it's a new outlet and the ground is connected to a rod buried in the earth right below the circuit breaker box in the garage.

This Thread shows an excellent example of where advice being offered to a Member on how to avoid being killed has been allowed despite the FACT the topic discusses direct to mains powering of a mains connected project.

The Forum Rule banning all discussion on direct to mains powered equipment needs urgent review, now!!!!!!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This Thread shows an excellent example of where advice being offered to a Member on how to avoid being killed has been allowed despite the FACT the topic discusses direct to mains powering of a mains connected project.

The Forum Rule banning all discussion on direct to mains powered equipment needs urgent review, now!!!!!!

Rest assured Andrew, that the topic of direct mains connected equipment is always close to the top of the list.

As to this thread and looking at the original pictures in post #1, well I wouldn't be to quick to condemn the Marantz without knowing the whole story. Post #18 seems to raise doubts and further measurement seemed to show it wasn't connected as first thought.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This equipment uses a transformer, and therefore is not "direct mains connected" in the spirit of the discussion ban on such. Am I wrong?

You would have to read all the posts to get it all in context. The transformer wasn't the issue.

It was thought that the AC mains lead had one side connected directly to the case... subsequent posts through doubt on that, and measurement seemed to confirm that it wasn't so connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.