• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Help a complete noob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody! To be very honest with all of you, I have some idea about the math behind an electrical process, I can read a schematic, I can tell the difference between a rezistor and a capacitor but that would be all. I have a PP AB1 chinese tube amp with EL34 as output tubes and SS rectifier and I feel like I don't get that "soundness", that "imersion". And, of course, I'm drooling when looking at all your beautiful work all of you did. But I am really scared to begin. I would really like to start working on a tubelab SE because, after what I've read, a pentode "crippled" as a triode is not really a triode. (All right, begin ranting, I can take it, I am no expert.) And of course, I read all the advices: "don't start with the SE, start with the SSE, but that's me... all at once. Now, the step-by step manual stops at the capacitors. I would very much like to see a complete walk through, till the very end: where the trafos wires go, how to set up the grounding.
Sorry to all if I am not too coherent, but I have so many thoughts and not enough words to put them.
And no, I have no soldering skills.
And yes, I need to get a soldering station and start practicing.
And yes, I am practically sh*&^ng my pants only thinking about the high voltages.
You all do some fantastic jobs. You have my outmost respect.
And Mr. Anderson do you ship to Sweden?
So far you are one of my heroes, and I don't have too many.
Happy Easter everybody!
PS. Sorry for my english but it is not my mother language.
Keep it up, guys@

I'd suggest a Tubes4HiFi amp if your a complete nube. Everything is included and the step by step instructions are excellent. After you put something like that together then you can move on to something like a TSE. If that's not the option then the SSE is probably the next best choice.

I found the SSE to be a great project for a complete noob such as myself. It's more like a recipe than it is a kit. Any answers to question you may have, can be found on this forum, you just need to do a little digging. Most answers are on the Tubelab site if you look carefully. At the end of the process you will have a one of kind amp that sounds great. I found the process to be much more rewarding than a kit. Take the plunge and enjoy.

Ditto Colnago55. SSE gives you a parts list, and choices of pieces you choose based your own parameters, like transformers.
Watch YouTube vids on soldering. Get the Weller WES51 soldering station (plus 1/8" tip, and soldering wick :) ).
The instructions online are great.
And the help here is fantastic. Mine sounds great.

The SSE is a good choice.

Elekit also makes really nice kits - everything you need is in the box. Very good quality.

I don't know if they are available in Europe. The North American importer might ship them there.

There is an Elekit sub forum on this board.

Win W5JAG

Audiophile nonsense. Look at the curves of a 6V6 wired as a triode - pretty much as good as it gets ....

Win W5JAG

sorry my friend, but I prefer to look at feminine curves. at least those I can understand.
some more questions:
1. Steel or aluminium for the top plate?(because I intend to use a wooden frame with a metallic top plate.) I know, it all depends on trannies. split opinions on this one, as i am reading now.
2. which pentode is best to use as a tetrode?

And Mr. Anderson do you ship to Sweden?

Yes.

1. Steel or aluminium for the top plate?

Aluminum is preferred since it is non magnetic. Steel can be used, but there is the possibility of magnetic fields being transferred through the metal chassis. A live amp mock up before drilling and mounting is usually needed to test for hum with a steel chassis.

what does it mean thick? 3-4 mm?

I have used 2.5 mm for SSE builds, and 3 mm for a really big amp like my 845SE. 4 mm is fine if you have the tools to work with it.

Yes.

Aluminum is preferred since it is non magnetic. Steel can be used, but there is the possibility of magnetic fields being transferred through the metal chassis. A live amp mock up before drilling and mounting is usually needed to test for hum with a steel chassis.

I have used 2.5 mm for SSE builds, and 3 mm for a really big amp like my 845SE. 4 mm is fine if you have the tools to work with it.

My dear gentlemen, thank you for the answers. I would be forever in debt ifsomebody can explain how to measure that hum. And another question: I've been watching numerous videos on youtube but I still didn't quite get how to ground the amp: make a long "conduit" out of solid wire connected to the ground of the IEC power input and then connect the rest of the components to it? And second: I know that some connections from power transf some writing with X and Y go to output tube and driver respectively, but I did not see any polarization. Care someone to explain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.