Hello please bare with I'm new to this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I could put the center channel under the TV and the "mains" above the couch then the surrounds in side walls close to the ceiling. 2 subs in front. So people would only at first see 4 little speakers and 2 big subs and think "wow Jimmy that's it"! I could use higher spl drivers since I want it a "little" loud.

I'm at work so can't reply too much. My kitchen joins my living room. It's 24 feet to my frigde and 11 feet from side wall to side wall. The wall that the 50 inch orr 60 is going on is about 8.5. I'm in the process of remodeling so I can pretty much do want I want. It is a trialer house that I have. I listen to movies and music farly loud. I have all the batman movies and have blu r ray in my computer which I use for everything. I'll buy some full ranges fostexs and experiment with my income tax fe207ens first since mids are important too then I'll know for sure what I can and cannot do. Don't want just throw speakers everywhere but if I could hide them that would be cool to save space. Don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me. I'm not going to be an idiot about this. Just thinking a little out of the box of normal.

I'm looking for good mids and highs back up by 2 200 or 300 or so watt subs. 11opas has in his system. Someone suggested wall mounting to save space and so I got some ideas with using a little cardboard in the drop ceiling I'm going to have so weight won't be factor. Just trying to think of a little different placement that might reap benefits that maybe no one has thought about.

I saw a you tube video where a young man took two 3 dollar woofers that looked like the ones in the rear deck of a 60 model car and and small fullrange. made open baffles for the woofers out of cardboard and put the fullranges on sticks. Didn't sound like 400 dollar Klipsch but sounded better than my VE-5 CVs I have now. I was surpised at what they did sound like for maybe what 20 dollars.

Back in 1980s I had one of the first yamaha cd players. borrowed 3000 from a loan company and got the cd player 750 realstic mach ones and a yamaha 350 stereo receiver. Man the good times. Me and a roommate got throwed out of our appartment on Memorial Day weekend because you could here 4 blocks down the road at Furr's grocerory store lol. If I would have had a 500 watt sub I would have been put in jail. Good memroies we still talk about that laugh. I have heard ARs,Sansui and a host of others. Man the good days of Made in the USA. But now we these little 100 watt toys to play with.

I should first say I have not done a FR HT so I can't comment via direct experience. Also this the FR forum so only one quick comment.

It seems like you like to listen to Movies and Music at louder levels that *might* overload the FR units under extended listening periods. If it was my HT I might go the Pro Audio route, Compression driver with horn and high efficiency woofers and not worry about cranking it too loud as to damage my FR. You'll get SPL and dynamics for movies.

I would then get a pair of nice FR for those occasions I like to sit back and enjoy. I'm in the process of breaking in some Alpair 12p FR units. I really like what I hear so far. Either way you go, sounds like your room will sound great.

Last edited:
Yes that's true. I didn't buy this receiver I have. I traded for with computer parts and it was still in the box. So I may have to break down and get a 600 NAD amp and build 4 speakers using Beyma woofer and tweeters. Use their crossovers. They make one that has different cut offs at usa speaker site. Then build FR like you said for the computer and a small quailty amp like the 50 Topping I saw on Cructchfield 300. I don't want to buy Klipsch because I feel like if the drivers are going to be made in china anyway might as will stick with CV. I don't believe in buying made in china for 400 dollars a speaker when CVs are made in the same place for less. I have read Beyma is made in Spain. I could get just a power amp and use the sound card in my computer to connect. Processors built in and better than my receiver night to day.

I could run I split adapter at the head phone jack for now and run the Topping off one side and the NAD off the other. Already have 1/4 inch inch headphone going into RCA plugs. Get the Topping and bulid bass reflex or some other good sounding FRs that don't take up too much room. Then build the sub or subs for the theater and then build the 4 Beymas. 4 because with those speakers I can almost put a projector in the yard and the whole neighborhood can watch like drive-in-theater lol.

Ya NAD I want cost 600 I think on Crutchfield. I feel like if I use Beyma crossovers with their drivers I should be ok. They make one that has different slops. DrDyna gave me a link that pretty much said use crossover from same company. I don't want a kit really. Like I said I don't want made in china if I can help it. Not trying hurt feelings but everything is made there. Like to have something that is not.

Last edited:
I remember my old Yamaha and it was built different than this one. More head room and bigger transformer. I used to get Stereo Review and Hi Fidelity magazines and read them. There was a doctor in Stereo Review,I forget his name,he did a comparison of speakers in different price ranges and showed the graphs and everything. I took that mag. and went and auditioned speakers. I bought the Machs. Ones or twos I can't remember. Oh man I wish I could hear AC/DC just one more time through them. Might bring a tear to my eyes. Bringing back memories of a innocent time. I think if I could I would pay 3000 dollars again just to get back that feeling. I got married and lost it all in a pawn shop to buy groceries for my family. I also lost a Selmar Mark 7 tenor sax. That same sax cost 10 grand now. Played through high school and little in a band. Man then had to get divorced and it was all for nothing. I wish........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.