Hello from Trevor L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all,
I am getting an interest back in the DIY side of audio after a Looong absence. Having build most things audio back 30 odd years ago including a BD1 belt drive turntable, amps and speakers I recently came across the DIY Electrostatic Speakers threads and the Shigaclone transport and got all enthusiastic again. Great site, I am really enjoying what I read here.
Regards
Trevor L

Thanks Dave,
I found it an excellent deck, especially for it's price. I would have liked the option of a larger platter but it still worked well to my ears at the time. I replaced it eventually with a Thorens TD150 chassis and an SME 3009 arm, MK2 I think, all on homemade mounts and lots of deadening felt. Course I always lusted after a Linn.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Dave,
I found it an excellent deck, especially for it's price...all on homemade mounts and lots of deadening felt. Course I always lusted after a Linn.

Gave the last 2 i had to stew (aka nanook) to plith up... the last one i did was this one:

attachment.php

I've owned at least a dozen Linns...

dave

Attachments

• coniseurBD1-grace-triangle.jpg
    coniseurBD1-grace-triangle.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 117
Hi Trevor.

If you do get a Shigaclone up and running I would love to hear one. I have a modded Playstation here so I will be interested to see how you feel the two compare.

I once met a bloke who was a "DJ" on the Mersey Ferries in the 60s. They had huge gimbal mounted Garrards that never skipped a beat. It can be done if the water isn't too lumpy seemingly.

John

Folks, hi
John: Currently the playstation, (£5 via ebay for the 1002) is unmodified and has simply replaced a Philips portable. After first getting interested in the PS1 mod I came across the Shigaclone started by Peter Daniels here on DIY Audio. I guess what I read really matched what I was looking for to a greater degree than the Playstation mods. From what I read both can be tuned up to a very high degree. I notice you are not so far away from me in the Wirral so a comparison could well be in order, might be a few weeks tho. The gimbal idea is a good one until the JetSkies decide that sailboats are fun to buzz, (Round and Round! bl&*%y morons).
Pano: iPod would be good, although the Philips portable CD player did actually work very well for me through Bose media speakers, which have a great sound for something smaller than a shoe box... I do miss the vinyl sometimes though. I let go a load of very limited pressings of small folk musicians and up and coming bands from the seventies. I saw Genesis playing support with Peter Gabriel and went straight out and bought Trespass (I think it was Genesis). I recently found that again on CD though:) What sort of boat? I almost made it to the States but stopped in the Caribbean, Then flew back to UK eight years ago to this recession, Mistake!
Best regards you both
Trevor L

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Trevor. There were no CDs when I lived on the boat, they came shortly thereafter. My 1st CD player was a portable.

The boat was what sailors here call a "Stinkpot" - a motor yacht. Big Cummings diesel. But as it was built by a sailboat company in 1949 it was something of an odd duck. Big and slow (maybe 9-10 knots, tops), and it drew a fathom! Hinkley now have a full line of power boats. Ours was something like this, but with a nice aft cabin and shower. Sure do miss her.
Hinckley - T55 MKII Flybridge

What were you sailing on?

That looks real nice, Comfortable I am guessing? I wanted to cross an ocean and stay out for a while! I rebuilt a Verl 27, a Robert Clarke, (maybe Clark) design. Actually a nice little boat which I picked up for a bit under £6000. Spent as much and more doing the refit and then sold it to do the same again on St Maarten. It is so easy to spend money on boats:) but for certain I had some of the best fun in my life with boats...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes. money and boats. They go together so well.
You sold yours then flew back? Quite a sail, tho. Sounds like a real adventure. All that time living on a boat in Florida and we never even got to the Bahamas. It was fun to never have to pack for trip, tho. On a boat you're a sort of turtle, the house goes where you go.

I lived out in Hawaii for years and wanted to buy a live aboard, but there are fewer boats there than you might think. The Atlantic and the Caribbean are full of boats.

John: When I returned to UK I ended up on a canal boat for a time, stuck in Northwich marina, the end of the world:( There are some nice spots out there tho. There is something inherently pleasant about being out on a boat in the elements, (especially when the weather is good:)
Pano: I'd sold the Verl and upped to a 37ft Prout cat to rebuild from a derelict. Got it seaworthy as I thought and started back across. I got just north of the Virgin islands and found I had problems with the hull, (basically trying to go to fast to windward with a big sea, in an older style Catamaran). I patched up the damage then took 60 hours to get back to St Martin! (To stay more than a month in the Virgins gets very expensive). I put the boat on the market as soon as I got back. Lost a load of money to make a quick sale. I flew back not long after. Hawaii sounds nice?
The six years out cost me virtually everything I had in the end, even career, still I think it was worth it! (I really must be nuts:) but hey, you only get one life so make the best of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.