Hello from San Leandro, California

Hi all!
I stumbled on to this board looking for speaker specs (salvaged speakers from TVs, cheaper speaker cabs, computer speakers, etc) AND I am going to recreate one of my favorite sets ever.
At some point in the early 80's I made the double chamber reflex speakers from Weem's book "Building Speaker Enclosures" and yes, I was at R/S at least once a week going back to the early 70's!

Right now I have a pair of JBL 166's that I re-foamed years ago and a pair of Infinity 120's (also re-foamed). And I'm looking at a pair of Mitsubishi SS 152's for $200 ea in fairly good shape.

I want to be able to get accurate numbers so I can make better/funky, weird enclosures for some of these "no-name" drivers (because, why not?) and so far it looks like the the Dayton Audio DATS (thoughts, suggestions?)

Ciao!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Welcome to diyAudio :^)

Playing with “found” loudspeakers can be fun.

Probably the best comsumer kit for getting T/S is Smith+Larson Woofer Tester 2. DATS is one of the cheap tools that guess the T/S (paraphtase the author). Keep in mind that T/S are really curves and the numbers we get depend on where on the curve they are collapsed.

Even then the numbers aren’t as useful as the factory numbers one gets from reputable vendors.

In the cases where i have only had the data i measure i seem to end up with boxes that are too small.

But if one considers where they came from one can often guess the direction. I see a lot of these drivers that want to be in an aperiodic box which is a simplish recipe. Another way is to use boxes where the box dominates nd tehre is room for tweaking. The Frugel-Horn family is an example amd many well damped TLs are fairly versatile.

If you have some bass drivers, a versatile active XO (like miniDSP), and an extra amp you can try much of your collection as midTweeters and not worry about getting bass out of them.

Many (most) of these drivers can benefit from soe tweaking.

For anyone else who wants to play in a similar manner, i have a bunch of these kinds of drivers in my give-away pile.

dave

Welcome to diyAudio :^)

Playing with “found” loudspeakers can be fun.

Probably the best comsumer kit for getting T/S is Smith+Larson Woofer Tester 2. DATS is one of the cheap tools that guess the T/S (paraphtase the author). Keep in mind that T/S are really curves and the numbers we get depend on where on the curve they are collapsed.
Looks like Smith+Larson is no more so I'm going with Dayton Audio DATS (unless anyone has a better option).
Even then the numbers aren’t as useful as the factory numbers one gets from reputable vendors.

In the cases where i have only had the data i measure i seem to end up with boxes that are too small.

But if one considers where they came from one can often guess the direction. I see a lot of these drivers that want to be in an aperiodic box which is a simplish recipe. Another way is to use boxes where the box dominates nd tehre is room for tweaking. The Frugel-Horn family is an example amd many well damped TLs are fairly versatile.
YES! I really want to play around with the Frugel-Horn design, even a pair of "desk top"size cabinets with sub 3 inch drivers!

Reactions: 1 user