Hello from Philippines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi noel,

welcome to the forums....mgr is very knowledgeable about power amps....

bjt's power ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt...a 250watt rating does not tell you the whole story...as bjt's are prone to thermal runaway due to secondary breakdown which occurs when high voltage and currents occcurs simultaneously on the collector, therefore, it is worthwhile to derate them accordingly, thus the SOA.....

just ask our questions and you'll get a wealth of answers in this forums...

High joan2,

Ric and MGR are both answering my queries here in DIY audio forum and I appreciate a lot. I'am open to any suggestion or recommendation for my soundsystem. what can you recommend on my bandis amp. is there a better design? somehow MGR promises to revise this amp. it is already bridge with +50v supply two outputs are joined together.

noel
:angel:

hi,
depending on the size of your traffo, maximum output with 50volt rail is not even 100watts....

it pains me a lot to see those amps claiming fantastic outputs of 800watts, 1000 watts even....it insults the intelligience!!!! it makes me want to throw my books out of the window....

if your traffo has two separate secondary windings that supplied 50volts, then you are in bussiness, if not, sorry na lang!!!

tony

hi tony,

it has two separate secondary winding 38- 0-38 and I use 20amper transformer and each channel is supplied by 50v supply.
the thing that gets trouble to me is the constant breakdown the dc balance is unstable can you give me guys the DC protection circuit and for the big"TUGGG"...when I turn on and off the amplifier.

noel

:hot:

Ric,

I will not post it anymore because I cant preview Im trying to avoid post in which attachment is not appearing, I respect this board. somehow the board says just click the browse button and select the file located in your hard disk. my file is already converted to zip which is scanned in Jpeg and the file size is already small I dont know why? any how thanks for the help and replies guys. Maybe you can help me one thing...do you have design of new power amplifier for outdoor. I saw on some links there are good designs and only one VR for DC offset adjustment. unfortunately no schematic. My intention to build is not to sale just for my Sound system.

best regards to all DIY members,
Noel

have plenty of boards

i have 10pcs of tigersuarus boards stuffed save for the 40409/40410 tannies which are no longer available here...i used to get them from variproducts, then apson, now i have no idea what happened to them, i guess subs will be the only option....

i also have 4pairs of leach 'double barreled' amps pcb's also stuffed good for 250watts/channel....

i can rig up a kit for you in case you are interested.....

Hi joan2,

can you give me your complete address in Manila and contact no. I'm still here in saudi arabia I have my vacation this year i will meet you. I'm interested in this two amps best in the post but you can recommend me the best. you are the expert. i need power amp that can suck pants from a distance.

tiger 40409/40410(RCA original,expensive) still available in watson Raon, however watson newly relocated along ongpin. if you want a cheaper version , try Crystal Sem. in Samat mandaluyong, they have made to order (I'm using it)

As for Noel's amp, wether you amp has thud, thump or pop in the speakers, I have seen many amplifiers makes the speaker cones move when the power switch is turn-on. This is caused by the filter capacitors not being fully discharged..

Some Technicians use delay circuit in ps and some use relay protector in spkr but they are too expensive and time consuming to assemble. Since I dont have your ps schematic, I can recommend you to put only a bleeder resistor parallel with your main input capacitor in both + & - rail to ensure that they discharge completely. Try 3.9k Ohms 2 watts resistor.

Ric,

How is the power of the Tigersaurus? is this really powerful...
somewhere in cebu there is a wellknown sound system and it is really powerful but i dont know what power amp they are using.
thanks for the suggestion on my amp. I have found already protection circuits from the forum, soon I will make it.

thanks to DIY forums...

tigersaurus

"Tiger" by Daniel Meyer of SWTP are reminiscent of Harman/Kardon "citation 16" and it is truly indestructible and sounds great.

I have made many of these amplifiers specially "Universal Tiger" and "Tiger .01" and spread-out the circuit and assemblies with my co-employees in panasonic since 1980.

Tiger .01 (no amp those days has this distortion) and tiger preamp 101 is still in my deck & in good working condition but seldom use " Kasi nakasawaan na sa tagal ng serbisyo".

"Tigersaurus is a high power version of these amp but never tried but i do beleive in Meyers work.

Ric

noel,

i have schematics of the tigersaurus amps...i have two bigsized traffos whicj you can use to build these amps....

ric,
i stll have some rca original tannies but now usre which of the 40410/40411....how do the ones from crystalsem or watson look? do they have the same integral heatsinks as the rca's?

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.