Hello from Canada

I was on here maybe 15 years ago, no idea what my username was.

My dad's on here (Trigon?) and Daniel (his friend) they used to build stuff together. My dad built Nelson Pass Class A 100w Mono Block per speaker and custom KEF based standing speakers that were biwired as per 107.2 REF and the B220 woofers with the connected rod and Kef 104.2 Mid and Twitters. He sold those and recently is back with KEF 104.2 that he recapped, reinsulated and did the ferrofluid on.

Daniel built me a headphone mini amp years ago and he was building his own amps. He had if I recall Martin Logan standing speakers with custom fancy Raven ribbons and a bunch of other cool stuff including a fancy Vinyl player setup.

Me, well, I'm getting started, making a purchase for some KEF 107.2 tomorrow and will be on the hunt for a Class A amp suited for this puppy. On a budget right now, but long-term will want probably something like my dad's mono blocks.

I will use a minipc and feed out from high resolution TIDAL and FLAC files, so will be looking into some kind of PC DAC to AMP.

I will probably for the fun of it get a vinyl setup too down the line.

I am excited, thank you guys! :)

Anyone know Pater Daniel's username on here? He built nelson pass / pass labs DIY amps too.

I am eyeing a for sale Krell KST-100, literally what my dad had in the early 90s, but I may want to ask my dad what he built from Aleph series that was 100w per channel pure Class A, they were massive capacitors, massive transformers and massive heat sinks. He had nichicons, It was a little radiator but it sounded so good haha.... he used some expensive parts from the US, Japan and Germany.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi CobraCommander,
Welcome!

I think I would advise against a Krell. They do sound great, but run so hot! They eat capacitors, all of them. I service equipment for a living and would never touch a Krell or any other hot running anything. There simply is no need for that.

Discussion for some other time. You can get great sound some other way.

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cobra,

Browse the forums, you will find amplifiers from dirt cheap to as much as you’d like to invest in all sorts of flavours and capabilities.

And kits to helps on on some of the more popular ones. And the ACA and ACA mini which represent inexpensive (not cheap) easy to build kits from Nelson Pass.

I have a Peter Daniel gainclone amplifier, 25 w LM3875. VERY good. But i also have a bunch of other very good amps :^)

Tom’s amplifiers are also very good, likely take the chip amp to new levels. The BIG one i heards certainly qualified.

After a while a diyer tends to gain a collection of amplifiers, drivers, parts…

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Agree with Dave, many great designs here.

One old one that is extremely good is the SymAsym. Solid State, not a chip amp, pretty forgiving and fun to build. It's more advanced than some, but clean as heck. It was developed by forum members way back in time. I build a bunch of them for use around here. Larger ones were developed as well. Each channel is on it's own board, which is perfect for you.

I forget which Aleph my dad built over 15 years ago, but he built two monoblocks which were 100wpc 8ohm pure class A, large toroids and capacitors in a large radiator sized aluminum case hehe... it looked cool too, sounded absolutely stunning and incredible, sound stage, fidelity, warm but clear, like a live orchestra or singer in front of you and very warm. Worked with a variety of music very thumpy but clear bass (using kef 107.2 ref woofers) but the clarity was incredible too. That's why I bought the 107.2, I was not happy with his current 104.2 ref, no oomph or punch but he doesn't have a strong amp now.

That's my ultimate goal... I'll ask him for info.

He really wants me to buy the krell kst-100 i guess its emotional and impulsive for him as it's one of his oldest class A amps he's owned in the 90s. Well it went to Class A/B after certain power levels so it wasn't truly pure Class A. He was talking about building me an Aleph if i get him the krell lol...

What options would you guys recommend I'm looking more so at vintage and used market than brand new... I've even looked at the Willsenton R800i Tube Integrated amplifier seems to have a lot of positive talk on youtube and it's easy to get off Amazon (I was looking more so at the R300, R800 is double price) but it's pure class A.

My dad is a retired electronics engineer and this was his hobby since my childhood so I can rely on him to teach me and for help me when recapping and do things like that. I would like to learn myself to do DIY work too. I'm more open minded, he is extremely experienced but also a little biased, which is okay, he has been into music since I wasn't born lol.

Which section could I continue this discussion in?

One more thing my intention is to run from my miniPC some kind of DAC to amp, I have TIDAL MQA, master, hi fidelity, etc... options and would probably get FLAC on my little local storage.

I don't care about standalone CD players, he had a Sony for which he did internal DAC updates, but I rather deal with files off a modern minipc. The only other option I'd like is building a vinyl player, that's down the line for fun.

Also another option he told me is to try and find used mcintosh pure class A amps

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Okay, I was warranty for McIntosh. Good stuff, reliable and sounds okay.

My advice would be something from the late 1970s or early 1980s. That's the pinnacle of audio design and build quality. There are some examples of excellent engineering and sound quality scattered outside that range. By far your best choices would be a Marantz or Sansui. You can PM me on choices that come up if you want.

I would avoid (like the plague!) tube product or class A, or anything that ran hot. I have a Luxman M-05 and C-05. I use the C-05, not the amp. I modified a Marantz 300DC and use those. I would really like a Bryston 4B cubed (4B3). I'll be building a Marantz 500 for myself - re-engineered. I did warranty service on most really good brands, talking Revox, Marantz, Nakamichi, Luxman, Cyrus, McIntosh, Adcom, Carver (and others if I sit and think). Also recording studio brands and recording studios. I am a working tech that services most brands. My bench is mostly HP / Agilent / Keysight. I apply test and measurement type principles to equipment I can sometimes enhance and measure to prove performance has really improved.

Please do not "recap" equipment. That does not improve anything unless you have a bad part. Most people don't install the capacitors properly or chose the right types. That forces a lot of extra work to be done. We have some better types for certain applications these days as well. You are further ahead buying a non-functional product that is original. If it works - great! But you do not want it messed with by anyone. "recapped by owner" - run!!!! The things that do improve performance are different. That's all I'll say about that.

We can talk if you want. There are some things you simply can't do that I can. These are all based in solid engineering. Your dad would agree.

Denon made the best CD players. If you can find a DCD-S10 or DCD-3000 - grab it! Denon designed all the electronics and used Sony xports. A DCD-3560 would also be excellent. Streaming is a good option, I do it as well.

One basic truth. Small audio brands will never perform as well as good stuff designed by the majors. Why? Actual, real engineers, and more than one. A real lab with real test equipment (I also have a test and measurement background).. Economy of scale for production and parts procurement drastically reduces prices too. Normally a small company is driven by a huge ego. Nelson is different - just saying we'll exclude him from that general comment. Huge egos do not learn, they are convinced they don't make errors and are always right. We both know this isn't true, they often make bigger engineering mistakes than most. They also make horrible technicians or investigators.

Popular opinion is worth zero in most cases. Just look back in history to see what I mean. Its all just noise.

-Chris

I want a pure class A amp... and I don't care so much about heat/etc...

As far as changing components, I have pretty sensitive ears just like my dad, and whatever changes he's made on his speakers, preamps and amps I could hear. Changes in stage, warmth, detail, fidelity, response, etc...

So... I was looking around youtube for different stuff and someone mentioned Wilkinson some chinese tube amp... it's available on amazon... has anyone run these? Pure Class A tube amp. They come with tubes obviously and some people have experimented with British and Russian tube swaps and improved them further...

I really don't care how much heat or power they consume, I want a quality sound experience.

Okay found my dad's old stuff, they were aleph 4 monoblocks:

1697776634096.png

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Okay, all I'm going to say is you do you.

Sound quality has zero to do with whether you are running class "A" or "AB". The only difference is maintenance and cost of ownership. Very often mediocre amplifier designs crank the bias to improve performance instead of fixing the design.

Anyway, have fun!