Hello from Canada

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Jim,
Is that a '66 Cutlass? Does it have that wonderful trailing arm suspension with coils?

I had a '67 that ran 12.5s on regular fuel and +104 boost. Scary on the road, but loads of fun mixed with terror. Launches out of the hole as it hooks with authority.

-Chris

Edit: Could be a dynamic 88? Heavier. It's hard to tell from the small picture there.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Dave,
I am owner & operator of Permanent Waves Inc. We currently have 6 employees.
Right on! Congratulations!
Now you know what being responsible for other people is like, but your business has a much better profit structure than anything I did. You have my best wishes and full support if I can help in any way.

Way to go Dave!!

-Chris

I remember your Cutlass Chris. What a rod. Those 350/455 Rockets are nuts too...can't get our '73 455R in the Delt88 to run too well on today's crappy fuel...it loves the Edelbrock tho.

I'd say Jim's car is a little more "historic" than '66...looks like a beast from the late 50's? Rare is great...there's very few of my MM's around as well...especially with just 45Kmiles and running 13's...

How can I post my bragging pics up?

Dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
I remember your Cutlass Chris.
No you don't. That was a 1982 Cutlass Calais with a 305. 350 Cam and lifters solved my 305 issues and made it more lively on the highway. My 1967 Cutlass was gone by the time I met you. Grey with black interior and vinyl top. You would have loved the '67. It looked great with the '75 rims, colour matched. Nothing else visible, sleeper supreme. Only a pair of large 2" (or 2.5"?) tailpipes, not fancy. Getting the headers in was an incredible pain in the - you know.

The engine was built by Northern Performance. 12.5:1 compression ratio and a lot of other hardware. Roller chain + much more. Stupid power, approx 450 real horsies. Not the imaginary ones people talk about. Idling rattled the dishes in the back of the house, forget car audio in that one. The original engine was a 350 that came out of an oval track car, then it was done over. :devilr: It was amazing which made up for the fact that it was hard to start, even with the heat shield on the starter. I was 18. :bigeyes:

How can I post my bragging pics up?
Either host them on a server and use the "IMG" button to link to them. You can also attach a file from your hard drive and upload it. You then have size restrictions and a one pic per post limitation.

Let's see your ride! Clear shots of the engine compartment?

-Chris

That '67 brings back memories Chris. Now I remember you talking about it rather than seeing it...you're probably lucky to be alive with only 18 years of age experience (or lack of).

I don't have engine picks yet (covered up and buried) but here's a shot of my 502CID boat engine...it's in my 25' Fountain. Yes, it's REAL LOUD! Those SS headers were also fun to install but the $9200 bill for them still gives me the twitches. BTW, it makes around 460BHP (yes, SAE)!!

Attachments

• picture072.jpg
    picture072.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 108
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
How did you stiffen the suspension up on this car? They are famous for extreme wobble and wallow. From what I recall, you like your ride stiff when performance is the goal.

I believe they are the Alpha model back in the early 80's...List was $90,000 for these!!!
Well, you are aware that cost sometimes has little to do with sound quality. These could go either way. At least the room is large enough to support some serious bass. Might be a little live though. Have you heard this system? It is a lovely room, one I wouldn't mind having at all. The other thing I can't help noticing is how lonely the fella is in the picture. A sofa and more chairs might be nice. Books along the walls and a small bar. Just sip on something, read and enjoy the tunes. Sounds like bliss to me.

Sorry, so much time in the audio industry has made me immune to list prices. It seems like too much work to justify the high dollars once you're above a certain price.

You look like your toys rightfully keep you busy Dave. At least you're never bored!

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Make no mistake, this is NOT my room...it was posted on a vintage Infinity site. I have a pair of R2II's which sound fantastic...they just eat power, thus totally inefficient...but the sound is righteous!

The car is "toyt like toyger"...nothing to do with a Grand Marquis. Crazy tires (BFG KDW 245/55/18) adds to the grin while G-ing.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Tallman said:

I run a N/A 2003 Mercury Marauder...although she is sleeping nestled in the garage till Spring.

These cars are rare and the 4.6 4 Valve Intertech is loads of fun to play with on te Dyno.

What about yourself?

It's a 1964 Dodge with a max wedge, we run B/SA in NHRA
best run so far 10.62@124.?? index is 11.55 According to the rules this car must weigh 3695 pounds with driver.

when i get time to upload i will give a link to some photos amd movies

jim

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jim,
Your picture is so small, the car looks like an Olds with that distinctive front end. I believe you, so I'm very interested in seeing the pics larger.

My runs were made in the late 70s, 10.62 is ruddy fast! Your times are much better than mine which averaged mid 12 sec. Made my brakes stink. Drums all around. Now for the scary part. I was running steel belted tires. We didn't know they exploded at high speeds. I'm thinking of how many times my speedo was maxed. Everything smooths out nicely "up there" while you leave twwin smoke trails behind you.

Man, are we off topic! Sorry for that. I guess we ought to post in everything else. I may split these posts out.

-Chris

Edit: Hey Dave,
Let me know if you want me to split the cars 'n boats out for you. Things are okay now, but if they expand we should be elsewhere.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
anatech said:
Hi Jim,
Your picture is so small, the car looks like an Olds with that distinctive front end. I believe you, so I'm very interested in seeing the pics larger.

My runs were made in the late 70s, 10.62 is ruddy fast! Your times are much better than mine which averaged mid 12 sec. Made my brakes stink. Drums all around. Now for the scary part. I was running steel belted tires. We didn't know they exploded at high speeds. I'm thinking of how many times my speedo was maxed. Everything smooths out nicely "up there" while you leave twwin smoke trails behind you.

Man, are we off topic! Sorry for that. I guess we ought to post in everything else. I may split these posts out.

-Chris

Edit: Hey Dave,
Let me know if you want me to split the cars 'n boats out for you. Things are okay now, but if they expand we should be elsewhere.

wow, we really are way ot here
Dave, Your Marauder is way cool, i did not realize they made that as a performance model(stuck in the 60's):eek: :bigeyes:

Chris,how about a new thread in everything else? Your et for the late 70's was very good at that time(30 yrs later lots of r&d time)
here are a few pic links in the meantime

jim

http://websale.compsultant.com/64_dodge/64dodge018.jpg
http://websale.compsultant.com/64_dodge/64Dodge020.jpg
http://websale.compsultant.com/64_dodge/DSCN2869.JPG

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Cal,
That coming from you is a surprise!

Introductions are normally not long threads and our normal membership will miss most of this. That is a shame, to miss finding out who the actual outlaws are. I know of no one who has a formidable ride who hasn't been chased by the fuzz. Often chased, never once caught. That is why I've never lost my license or spent jail time.

I get a huge laugh out of what a modern "hot ride" is. Too bad they can't keep their silly little cars under control. There is no funny in that.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jim,
Your et for the late 70's was very good at that time
That it was. It was by far the most scary thing I've ever driven. Thank goodness the chassis was so forgiving.

That car was also my every day driver for a short time. Then I bought another, same year, model and colour. One set of plates. :devilr: Let's just say many people were severely confused, those two cars were never seen together.

I'm going to fix your links up, great looking car BTW. Really nice! It's looking clean, and that is a compliment.

-Chris
Edit: Done

Hey Jim! Your motor is still using the original mount locations, but with racing mounts? (mine broke - the racing ones) Most of the cars with your times have had solid mounts up higher along the front of the block.

Often chased, never once caught. That is why I've never lost my license or spent jail time.

Wish I could say the same...shamefully I wiped out my '82 Mustang GT (within 2 months of purchase) while being chased by Peel Region's finest around Tomken and Bloor. In my defense, the 9 seater Buick (Roadmaster?) wagon (what a flippin gigantic car!) pulled out of the driveway into my path while I was shifting into third at around 80MPH :eek: . I can remember slamming on the breaks while slamming my eyes shut and screaming...thank the Lord I missed them...but sadly I ended up in a field while the cruisers surrounded me :whazzat:. The kids all gathered 'round by then were thrilled to see a 6 foot 9 stringbean stuffed into the back of a lit cherry cruiser with cuffs on! I spent some time lookng at the interesting craftmanship (likely Italian) on the cinder block jail walls at Peel Headquarters. FYI, Dangerous Driving is a Criminal Offense and not a cheap nor easy charge to beat...my legal team was not successful :bawling:.

I sure miss that car...kinda tough to see it go, and have no license or the chance of insurance for years. I am glad I survived.

DO NOT ALLOW a kid in a Mustang with over 250RWHP!!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear about that. I'm glad you came out all right. I have had to people I know well wipe out solely due to the rear brake equalizer.

Mind you, you are lucky to be rid of that car. They still had the same brake equalizer problems the wrecked many Mustangs since the 60s. Never mind the floor pan tearing due to attempts to save money in the steel thickness there. I've seen a number of cars where the seat struts went through the floor pan. Ford tried to charge people for the repair. Get this now, they had a factory replacement part to reinforce the floor pan! They also sold fake Recaro seats as the real deal. The driver's was real, passenger's was a fake. Sneaky, slimy and cheap.

I'm especially sorry to hear you got nailed hard. Mind you, if you had hit that Roadmaster wagon, you would have felt it. I owned one of those until recently. That was about the nicest car I've ever owned. They were really good on gas too, with a 5.7L engine. Throttle body injection in mine added up to around 30 mi / gal. EPA was 33 mi / gal., but if you bought the smaller 305, you got .... wait for it .... 34 mi / gal. :rolleyes: The decision was pretty easy to make. I must say that these cars were horrible on gas once you stuck you foot into it. Those younger fellas in "hot cars" couldn't get their head around things as the big wagon (including family + dog) pulled away from them. That big tailgate disappearing ahead. They were extremely subdued at the next light. They got blown away by a wagggoooon driven by an old fart and his family. I have no doubt your 'stang was faster as long as it stayed hooked up.

BTW, it wasn't me that pulled out. My "flippin gigantic car" was black and mac-tack.

Hey, do you know what Buick stands for? :angel:

Big Uugly Indestructible Car Killer.

One feature it had that many other newer cars didn't have. An external crumple zone. :devilr:

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.